Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple of builds  (Read 2468 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
A couple of builds
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:47:36 PM »

Since at the new shop I have had the oppurtunity to do a couple of new builds;

This one is on an 07 Softail. We went with the 103 jugs and flat tops, a wood W6-6 Cam, Thunderheader, stage 1 AC and Race tuner. Not to bad for a "b"' motor

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
Re: A couple of builds
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 11:59:58 PM »

This next one is a 113" build in an 05 Road glide.

103 SE Crank
Timkin Bearing Conversion
SE Bigger Bore Barrels
10.5-1 SE Pistons
103+ SE Heads
Wood TW-9FG Gear Drive Cam
Feuling Camplate, lifters, and oil pump
Horsepower Inc. 55mm Throttle Body
Thunder Header
Race Tuner

This could have been better with a better pipe. The Thunderheaders are notorious for having that torque dip at 2500 RPM's

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »

Since at the new shop I have had the oppurtunity to do a couple of new builds;

This one is on an 07 Softail. We went with the 103 jugs and flat tops, a wood W6-6 Cam, Thunderheader, stage 1 AC and Race tuner. Not to bad for a "b"' motor

verry good numbers  :2vrolijk_21:

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 08:52:54 AM »

the woods cams hit hard dont they!!

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 09:23:49 AM »

The tq dip on the t-header is tunable, to a point. I made a small flat plate that I bolted into the end of the pipe to test. I was shocked at what happened. Instead of having to bend the tabs in the end of the pipe and play around this worked very easy. The engine was a 107 with a woods tw8 and a 44 cv carb.   The plate is 1.9 x 1.9 give it a try. you can even just clmap it into place for a fast test. I might make it larger if you are only clamping it though. I did not try it but plan on testing it to see what happens when placed at the end of the pipe. I put the plate 2 inchs from end of tabs
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 09:25:48 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 07:45:24 PM »

The tq dip on the t-header is tunable, to a point. I made a small flat plate that I bolted into the end of the pipe to test. I was shocked at what happened. Instead of having to bend the tabs in the end of the pipe and play around this worked very easy. The engine was a 107 with a woods tw8 and a 44 cv carb.   The plate is 1.9 x 1.9 give it a try. you can even just clmap it into place for a fast test. I might make it larger if you are only clamping it though. I did not try it but plan on testing it to see what happens when placed at the end of the pipe. I put the plate 2 inchs from end of tabs

so you are saying that by inducing some back pressure--------you found a cure for the TH? how did the plate affect HP?
i see where you ae going by curing the early dip, but what effect did it have on upper rpm range? BTW, i dont recommend the TH for twin cams because of this very issue with tunability.  gmr, its obvious you are on to something here, and i know more about your tuning background than most, so not attacking, just curious!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 08:01:05 PM »

Jim, I'd like to have those numbers from that 113" on my bike...........just can't afford it. 

Did he have you do anything to the starter, tranny, etc. or just the motor?  What's the compression ratio of that motor?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 07:27:24 PM »

Jim, I'd like to have those numbers from that 113" on my bike...........just can't afford it. 

Did he have you do anything to the starter, tranny, etc. or just the motor?  What's the compression ratio of that motor?

Compression is 10.5-1 For the starter I used a 1.7KW. He had a chrome starter installed at the same time that is why I upgraded it. With the compression releases the stock starter would probable have been ok.

For TH our local tuners have been playing with the tabs for quite some time know to get rid of or help the tq dip. On this motor the tuner did not recommend it.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 07:50:48 AM »

The 113 looks quite entertaining
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 06:56:58 PM »

No loss on big end numbers just a smoother tq curve. It seems to work well. I have not messed with changing the size to much. It was something I tested to see if I could come up with a fast way to see how much I may need to alter the fins in the pipe. It is much like the lolli pop on the old drag pipes, with a new twist.   I am not a fan of the T/h myself for the twin cams. I like them on sportys, and evos up to 96 inch after that I look for another pipe.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 07:23:39 PM »

This next one is a 113" build in an 05 Road glide.

103 SE Crank
Timkin Bearing Conversion
SE Bigger Bore Barrels
10.5-1 SE Pistons
103+ SE Heads
Wood TW-9FG Gear Drive Cam
Feuling Camplate, lifters, and oil pump
Horsepower Inc. 55mm Throttle Body
Thunder Header
Race Tuner

This could have been better with a better pipe. The Thunderheaders are notorious for having that torque dip at 2500 RPM's

Jim,
      Do you mind quoting a price for this build; labor parts, etc - - bottom line.

Also, what's your feeling on the reliability of this motor ?

B B

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 07:28:19 PM »

No loss on big end numbers just a smoother tq curve. It seems to work well. I have not messed with changing the size to much. It was something I tested to see if I could come up with a fast way to see how much I may need to alter the fins in the pipe. It is much like the lolli pop on the old drag pipes, with a new twist.   I am not a fan of the T/h myself for the twin cams. I like them on sportys, and evos up to 96 inch after that I look for another pipe.

thanks dude, seems we are on the same page.lollipop, haha, those were the days and once you saw how much restriction needed, you took big water pump pliers and squeezed the pipe right there!  then, you discovered yoiu could run betteer times and pull longer wheelies with shorty mufflers on 31 inch pipes!

those were the days!

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 07:40:33 PM »

Nice job!
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.