Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Best way to add compression  (Read 12977 times)

08_ScreaminSpringer

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Best way to add compression
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 07:10:43 PM »

So the heads on my 08 screamin eagle 110 are not that great in flowing or port design? What about the valve size? The bike runs fine but i like the idea of more power .. Also this is my first bike and i love learning about it.. So it's best to go with a piston kit to rise the compression not mill the heads. Are all heads the same CC or some heads less cc from the start?

Also if you mill alot you exhaust would be lower and would be fitting problems..

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:16:11 PM by 08_ScreaminSpringer »
08 Softail Screamin Eagle Springer with SERT and D&D fatcat Big Boar 2 into 1..

08_ScreaminSpringer

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 07:55:51 AM »

Where can i read more on the motor on my 08 110?  Valve size, head cc, Valve springs max lift, does the piston have a -cc or dome? I do know that it has 50mm TB and SE255 cams and 9:3:1 i will check my cranking compression. Who has checked there cranking compression and do you do it with the TB WOT? with both plugs out?
Thanks

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 08:27:27 AM »

Where can i read more on the motor on my 08 110?  Valve size, head cc, Valve springs max lift, does the piston have a -cc or dome? I do know that it has 50mm TB and SE255 cams and 9:3:1 i will check my cranking compression. Who has checked there cranking compression and do you do it with the TB WOT? with both plugs out?
Thanks

On the 07's the information is:     other than the throttlebody I believe the information is still correct.  The only other change I remember is the front head due to the motor mount.   
2.080 valves intake, 1.625 exhaust
head cc's ~ I don't recall the information
Flat top piston 
yep 50 mm tb  this was changed in 08 from the 07 model that had a 46mm throttlebody with the fly by wire.
255 cams
Cranking compression is around 220 - 230 without ACR with acr drops down to 150 - 160.    yep throttlebody is open and both plugs out.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

08_ScreaminSpringer

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 09:10:14 AM »

Thanks for the info. What are the diff. head gaskets  .020-.030??
Anyone know the cc of the 08 head..  Thanks!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 09:53:34 AM »

Here's a few sites on head work, a good reputable head shop knows what to do. Usually for a street motor of you size you don't need to go with larger valves, unless your running it hard all the time and looking just for top end HP. The springs on 05 and up motors should be good up to .650 lift unless you rev the motor over 6 grand a lot.

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0212hb_head_porting/index.html

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdheads_ports.htm

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 10:17:18 AM »

On 03's, 04's and 05's the springs were good to 630 - 640 lift.   They were tested by Zippers and 2 others to double check the lifts.   

I was told max lift on the 07's was 600.  For "most" guys there isnt much of a need for cruisers to go beyond the 2.080 intakes.   In the past I never wanted to go beyond 1.94' intakes on a street motor to make torque and play.   Each head guy has their own take on it and would rely on them to their thing that you have entrusted them to do.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:20:01 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 11:20:47 AM »

On 03's, 04's and 05's the springs were good to 630 - 640 lift.   They were tested by Zippers and 2 others to double check the lifts.   

I was told max lift on the 07's was 600.  For "most" guys there isnt much of a need for cruisers to go beyond the 2.080 intakes.   In the past I never wanted to go beyond 1.94' intakes on a street motor to make torque and play.   Each head guy has their own take on it and would rely on them to their thing that you have entrusted them to do.

I was told that the pre 05, non beehive springs won't handle as much lift as the newer ones.

SE08RK

• Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »

The only benefit of beehive springs it that they have a broad freedom from harmonic flex during rebound. The spring will actually dampen itself and not transmit the harmonics into its load. The load carrying capacity or load per height is harder to mathematically figure due to the decreasing spiral of their top coils so an actual measurement is necessary. Maximum total lift must be carefully scrutinized because of the ability of the spring to go beyond 'stacked' as with a conventional valve spring.

Beehive springs answer a multitude of problems over conventionally manufactured springs. But, they have longevity problems due to their active nature. They work themselves to death. The span of life, or sustained temper is no where near what a cylindrically wound spring can attain without degrade. Drag strip use is fantastic - long duration use is not so good.

BC

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 07:55:01 PM »

The only benefit of beehive springs it that they have a broad freedom from harmonic flex during rebound. The spring will actually dampen itself and not transmit the harmonics into its load. The load carrying capacity or load per height is harder to mathematically figure due to the decreasing spiral of their top coils so an actual measurement is necessary. Maximum total lift must be carefully scrutinized because of the ability of the spring to go beyond 'stacked' as with a conventional valve spring.

Beehive springs answer a multitude of problems over conventionally manufactured springs. But, they have longevity problems due to their active nature. They work themselves to death. The span of life, or sustained temper is no where near what a cylindrically wound spring can attain without degrade. Drag strip use is fantastic - long duration use is not so good.

BC

good xplanation. tis why they are usd in nascar. also why i have em in my bike----so i can spin it up!

08_ScreaminSpringer

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 08:03:15 PM »

Has anyone had work done at Kingofcubes??

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 08:32:26 PM »

just bought some heads, head gaskets, pushrods and compression releases from king of cubes...randy was very helpful and did everything he promised
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

chunngle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 03:07:45 PM »

Has anyone had work done at Kingofcubes??

I just had Randy from Kingofcubes put together a package for me using iron sleeved Axtell cylinders after having problems with nikasil coating seperating from the cylinder walls in a 124" build. He is very knowledgeable and thorough. A great guy to work with.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.