Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: '08 FXDSE Rear Axle issues  (Read 9711 times)

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
'08 FXDSE Rear Axle issues
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

Hello all, recently I had the misfortune of an outer rear brake pad coming out while out riding. After calling my local wrench, he came out with a trailer and loaded me up. Upon on returning to his shop, it was determined that the entire rear wheel assembly had moved to one side thus causing the resulting brake melee .

According to the microfiche referenced herein below:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies//hdm_oem/hdmc.asp?Type=13&A=516&B=28

it was assembled correctly (per H-D) and had all relevant parts still there and upon re-assembly it does not seem to line up correctly.....

:confused5:  :soapbox:

HELP !!!!  Has anyone experienced similar issues ???
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:11:13 AM by Shovelhead »
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: '08 FXDSE Rear Axle issues
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »

Hello all, recently I had the misfortune of an outer rear brake pad coming out while out riding. After calling my local wrench, he came out with a trailer and loaded me up. Upon on returning to his shop, it was determined that the entire rear wheel assembly had moved to one side thus causing the resulting brake melee .

According to the microfiche referenced herein below:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies//hdm_oem/hdmc.asp?Type=13&A=516&B=28

it was assembled correctly and had all relevant parts still there and upon re-assembly it does not seem to line up correctly.....

:confused5:  :soapbox:

HELP !!!!  Has anyone experienced similar issues ???

Were your wheel bearings replaced upon reassembly (or inspected)?  I would suspect a failed wheel bearing.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:18:27 PM »

Were your wheel bearings replaced upon reassembly (or inspected)?  I would suspect a failed wheel bearing.

Have not reassembled yet, waiting on parts , but mocked up with  bearings in place, doesn't seem to line up correctly, almost seems as though spacers should be reverse of drawing, although according to drawing they were correct prior to incident. Seems to be a spacer issue but....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:56:35 PM by Shovelhead »
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

rebo77

• Eric The Great

• CVO1: fxdse2
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »

had the same issue i was going 80 mph 2 mins before i got off the exit to get gas and pulling into the gas station the pads came out and were hanging.
they had my bike 5 weeks trying to figure out how to fix it properley relpaced the whole rear they said they think it was casued by the spacers being the wrong size put maby 4k on it since and no problems yet i hope its fixed right.
there goes them shady riders again

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »

had the same issue i was going 80 mph 2 mins before i got off the exit to get gas and pulling into the gas station the pads came out and were hanging.
they had my bike 5 weeks trying to figure out how to fix it properley relpaced the whole rear they said they think it was casued by the spacers being the wrong size put maby 4k on it since and no problems yet i hope its fixed right.

........now that makes perfect  sense, same here, I was running 100, then stopped at bank and started to pull out of bank parking lot when _______ !
 :jalapeno:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:51:26 PM by Shovelhead »

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »

OK, it's settled, my bike was assembled new from H-D with incorrect spacers, thus causing my problems.

So my question now is; does anyone know for certain what the correct spacers are and where I might obtain them ???

:nixweiss: :jalapeno:

PS: I don't need some crackerhead response such as "call H-D", keep in mind they are the idiots that caused me all this mess to start with........ :o

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:48:22 PM »

OK, it's settled, my bike was assembled new from H-D with incorrect spacers, thus causing my problems.

So my question now is; does anyone know for certain what the correct spacers are and where I might obtain them ???

:nixweiss: :jalapeno:

PS: I don't need some crackerhead response such as "call H-D", keep in mind they are the idiots that caused me all this mess to start with........ :o

I don't know the proper part #'s, but a good source is the parts manual for your specific bike....  It's always worth the investment...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harley-Davidson-Parts-Manual-2008-FXDSE-2-Dyna-CVO-New-/350429076883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5197335d93
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »

From Ronnie's online parts catalogs for 2008 FXDSE :

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »

From Ronnie's online parts catalogs for 2008 FXDSE :

Jerry

Thank You   :bananarock:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:46:40 PM by Shovelhead »

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »

I suppose my concern is now, since I am not the only person to have experienced these issues, are the correct H-D part numbers corresponding to the wrong spacers ???

I believe I failed to mention in my orig post that it moved enough to tear the #@$%*$#@ out of my entire brake assembly !

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »

Any chance you'd know what spacers they wound up going with on yours ??

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »

bump

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »

bump

Any additional input available on this issue while it is still apart ?

I'm expecting a new brake rotor today/ tomorrow then everything will be reassembled with new brake assembly, new bearings and custom made spacers based upon where the wheel should be located, rather the Moco's suggestion of spacers required.

:soapbox:
Approximately one year after I'd purchased the 2008 FXDSE , I received a phone call for an "H-D customer satisfaction survey" . Toward the end of the survey I was asked if "based upon overall satisfaction with my 2008 purchase, would I be purchasing another new H-D in the near future ? "  
I replied: "if you offered new rolling chassis without factory engine/trans, I would have already purchased one by now, but since you don't, No, not in the foreseeable future" .

Issues such I am having now, based upon lack of chassis integrity and Moco's overall lack of concern regarding such, have caused me to rethink that answer, if asked again today, I would have to simply answer "NO".
 :soapbox:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:24:53 PM by Shovelhead »

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:35:31 AM »

**UPDATE**

Been back up since March 2nd  with new bearings and custom made spacers, so far so good !

One thing I have learned through all of this : Jesus is my friend , the factory is not !

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 08:06:11 AM »

........now that makes perfect  sense, same here, I was running 100, then stopped at bank and started to pull out of bank parking lot when _______ !

My feet seem to come off the foot pegs above about 80 mph in similar instances, any simple solution?

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 01:21:55 AM »

My feet seem to come off the foot pegs above about 80 mph in similar instances, any simple solution?

....light outward pressure utilizing leg muscles while rolling on MORE THROTTLE tends to take care of that !

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 01:24:27 AM »

Bungee cords

rebo77

• Eric The Great

• CVO1: fxdse2
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 10:38:22 PM »

have put about 5k on the bike since the pads came out havent had any problems since but im taking the bike next month in for 10k service so im getting it checked out for movement so well see ill keep ya posted
there goes them shady riders again

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »

have put about 5k on the bike since the pads came out havent had any problems since but im taking the bike next month in for 10k service so im getting it checked out for movement so well see ill keep ya posted

Please do !

I've got about 7k since my melee , running completely new rear brake assembly, bearings and custom spacers (including an additional spacer the factory does not acknowledge the necessity of), and I must say that I can longer roll the throttle hard or go very fast on that bike without visions of that disaster crossing my mind. I'm about to tear mine down for more engine work and will thoroughly check all that rear axle situation for the third time since reassembly, so far so good, but it is a scary thought knowing how many of these bikes are out there with rear axles assembled to factory specifications !!!
 :nervous:

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »

Please do !

I've got about 7k since my melee , running completely new rear brake assembly, bearings and custom spacers (including an additional spacer the factory does not acknowledge the necessity of), and I must say that I can longer roll the throttle hard or go very fast on that bike without visions of that disaster crossing my mind. I'm about to tear mine down for more engine work and will thoroughly check all that rear axle situation for the third time since reassembly, so far so good, but it is a scary thought knowing how many of these bikes are out there with rear axles assembled to factory specifications !!!
 :nervous:

The only real problem I've ever had with mine, in the 36,000 mile on her, is the front spacers seized onto the axle as moco didn't use Never Seize. Luckily, moco went good for it as I bought her new at my stealers and they were the ones replacing the first tire.
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »

The only real problem I've ever had with mine, in the 36,000 mile on her, is the front spacers seized onto the axle as moco didn't use Never Seize. Luckily, moco went good for it as I bought her new at my stealers and they were the ones replacing the first tire.

Ha ! "stealer" !! Love it,  Excellent description !!

:2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 24 queries.