Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2018 CVO road glide stage IV and the deceptive corperation.  (Read 3364 times)

Scrapyard

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

So, I buy the 2018 CVO 117 and have all options I could think of including stage IV. I have the bike 3 days, about 400 miles, and the tappet gets loud. The dealership fixes it and I'm on my way. Still a happy customer. 9,400 miles later, because I ride it, same thing only now I hear things flying around the motor. Then the compression relief valve opens and it sounds like the head blows. I pull off of the 1st exit, having no power, and she dies. The tappet disintegrated! Dealership cracks her open and the tappet won't come out. After further break down, the needle bearings are inside my oil pump meaning they passed through the entire motor. Corporate approves a short block but is hesitant to approve a stage IV kit. I'm looking at the marks on my sleeves, gouges on my pistons, An oil pump with grooves cut into the aluminum from circulating bearings and debris, a tappet that no longer resembles one as the roller has gone through my baby. Then I find out that the computer mapping for the 117 stage four was not available so corporate told the dealer to map it for a 110ci. WTF! I just handed them $52,000 and you deceive me on top of my mechanical problems? Now the dealership is building my M8 rather than the factory. Thinking Lawyer at this point. :beatdeadhorse: :worthless:

Scrapyard

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

Re: 2018 CVO road glide stage IV and the deceptive corperation.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 06:02:28 PM »

Piston

Scrapyard

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 06:03:37 PM »

Tappet and cam

Scrapyard

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »

pump

Scrapyard

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »

pissed

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »

sorry about your luck, now on top of the sumping issues the M8 has, now lifter issues show up. like I said before this is a disaster for HD  :o
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »

Pretty sure I was commenting on your FB post about it either yesterday or this morning. That really sux. Welcome to the site here anyway.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 10:42:52 PM »

Just making sure I understand?  The factory is supplying a complete short block and the dealer then doing a 117 kit on top of that?  On their dime?  So the dealer isn't building the bottom end?

Assuming they're also being thorough and doing oil cooler, oil pan and lines to make sure they've caught all the debris then the dealer is honoring your warranty.  You trusted them the first time to bold a 117 kit on top of the factory engine.  They're doing that same task again.  As unfortunate as it all is it is also unlikely your failure was a result of their work bolting on the 117 kit.

Definitely worth a conversation on the installed map though.  One can always wonder/worry if the 110 map was way lean in the 117.  But enough to cause it to heat and seize? 

If the dealer is stepping up and making it all correct, making sure the tune is good now, and doing it in a timely fashion might be that, at least for now, you just let them do their job? :nixweiss:

mark

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 10:51:18 AM »

Sorry for your issues, but HD customers are our own worst enemy.  What you've experienced is unacceptable; however, most in your shoes will gladly run to an HD dealer and purchase another.  For HD, there's no repercussions for poor products.  I still can't grasp why they can't make a reliable engine - other manufacturers don't seem to have this problem.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:54:09 AM by Mark »

85FXRS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »

Sorry for your issues, but HD customers are our own worst enemy.  What you've experienced is unacceptable; however, most in your shoes will gladly run to an HD dealer and purchase another.  For HD, there's no repercussions for poor products.  I still can't grasp why they can't make a reliable engine - other manufacturers don't seem to have this problem.

its a sad state of affairs and its going to get even worse when the warranty runs out and those bike with low miles puke the motor and the bike is financed and its dead in the water how will  HD handle this issue then is the question or if it is sold  or traded and another person gets the bike no warranty and it pukes .  then what? this issue will be around for some years to come, and to wonder if there is a fix that is going to solve the problem long term . that is a must know for all people who want to purchase or have one of these motors

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »

Like anything, there'll be a niche market of guys buying them for pennies on the dollar who will continue to break down and repair them; not much different than pans and shovels.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 09:39:38 PM »

What did the tappet guides look like?
Any abnormal wear?

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »

What did the tappet guides look like?
Any abnormal wear?

Aussie, by looking at the lifters, the lifter case bores would have to be trashed.   :-\

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 10:59:03 PM »

Aussie, by looking at the lifters, the lifter case bores would have to be trashed.   :-\

Sorry wasn't clear enough in my explanation, I was referring to the Anti Rotation Device.
Looks like the lifters had some side load on the bearing the way the pivot pin hole is torn out.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:03:20 PM by Aussie »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »

Sorry wasn't clear enough in my explanation, I was referring to the Anti Rotation Device.
Looks like the lifters had some side load on the bearing the way the pivot pin hole is torn out.

Now I understand.   :2vrolijk_21:

I think I read on Harleytechtalk that a few people had changed cams and that retaining bolt (#1) either broke off or stripped threads in case when removing.   :-\
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.