Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modifications  (Read 3498 times)

skull

• Full CVO Member
  • "Getter Dunn"
Modifications
« on: March 18, 2004, 04:10:24 PM »

My 03 SE Deuce is completely stock.  I will be doing the pipes, hi-flow A/C and the Race Tuner.

While I know it is personal preference on what pipes to get, my question is...  Are the SE 16ga Double Barrel pipes worth it?  I do like a loud bike and that is where the concern comes in.  Many threads on the H-Zone forum say the SE pipes are not good or too quiet.  I think the pipes look great and the crossover looks to provide great performance.

I also like the V&H Big Raduis pipes that came out recently, but they do not have the power chamber.  Does anyone know of a link that allows you to listed to the different pipes available (preferably the SE 16ga).

Thanks!

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Re: Modifications
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 08:25:54 PM »

Hey Skull. Are you sure the Zone posts referred to the 16 gage? Seems they mostly referred to the SEII Slip-Fits (not street legal) and most definitely the SE Slip-Ons (Like Stock). I don't remember there being more than a few posts for the 16 gage (Perhaps I'm wrong). I have the Slip-Fits and feel they are plenty loud--all heads turn when I stroll thru a neighborhood. But man, the guys in the Zone (and perhaps the guys in this forum as well) seem to like really loud pipes.  Give the others a minute or so to mosy into this forum and I'm sure they'll offer a comment or two.

skull

• Full CVO Member
  • "Getter Dunn"
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 10:05:25 PM »

Psycho,

I am referring to the post where the SE 16 ga were being compared to V&H pipes.  The talk was that V&H makes these pipes for HD but they are not as loud as the Big Shots.

I guess I just need to find a set of these on a bike and ask the rider to fire em' up!

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 10:17:49 PM »

I'll tell ya--I'm amazed at the loudness others (and I guess yourself included) appear to like (perhaps it's because I'm new to riding). Before I accepted delivery on my bike I had the SEII's put on. I listened to a friends SEII's on his FXDL and thought they were just fine. Well, mine were significantly louder--perhaps the 95ci? IDK. I'm so glad I did not stumble across the Zone before getting my bike. I might have gone with the louder pipes thinking the SEII's were "quiet" and I would have definitely had to change them out immediately (I would not have had the patience to listen to others bikes like everybody suggests). If I ever have to change out my current pipes, I might go with Tapered's which dealer tells me are a bit quieter than the SEII's.  To each his own for sure.

skull

• Full CVO Member
  • "Getter Dunn"
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 03:55:46 PM »

Just remember "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES"!

Skull

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 01:11:38 AM »

Just remember "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES"!

Skull

I agree. I definitely did not want stock--much too quiet. All I needed was a low rumble though. Had to start some where. I like having the volume when at stop light in traffic--because I don't have stage-1, it feels like I need to roll the throttle a bit to prevent stalling. It says to the surrounding cages "I'm here folks. Don't run me over!" But at highway speed, I personally don't care about volume. With my 3/4 helmet, I wear plugs because I know the damage that wind volume does to hearing. I have Full Face Shoie X-11 now, so we'll see how that does with volume issue. Seems as though it's gonna be awful quiet all closed up in that darn helmet! When snow melts we'll see.  [smiley=cool2.gif]

gvc4

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 01:11:45 AM »

I'm with PSYCHO. Louder pipes cause rider fatigue. For me riding is about locking out the daily grind & focusing on riding. If you only log 20 miles a day LOUDER IS BETTER. If you truly love to ride then louder IS NOT BETTER. If you like loud pipes, then have loud pipes. I had the SE II's on a 2002 HD Deuce & hated them. TOO LOUD TO ENJOY A LONG RIDE. For me a 100 mile ride is a short ride.
Just my .02

ENJOY YOUR RIDE

GVC

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 01:15:05 AM »

I had the SE II's on a 2002 HD Deuce & hated them. TOO LOUD TO ENJOY A LONG RIDE. For me a 100 mile ride is a short ride.
Just my .02
GVC

Did you change out the SEII's on your 02 Deuce? Or deal with it until you got rid of the bike? Are you keeping your 03 SED stock? If not, what pipes might you consider?

gvc4

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 09:32:26 AM »

03 & 04 SED will stay stock.

gvc

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 08:07:10 AM »

doin' my part to increase the SED discussion.

I have the SE II Slip-fits and the SE Air kit and just had the dealer flash the ECM (They did the Stage II Big Bore MAP)...no Power Commander, no Race Tuner...Should I?

While slowly moving in 1st gear, at around 1200revs, clutch disengaged, there is some "bucking" that occurs.

Only other mods have been cosmetic:
Solo Stitched Saddle
Rear fender panel, vivid black
Garage Door Opener
Pager
Some chrome
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Road_Hog

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 09:51:01 AM »

SKULL, When I had my 02' deuce I went with the Screamin Eagle II slip on's.  I loved the sound.  Not super loud, but it woke up pretty good when you rolled the throttle.  What I didn't like is the pipes split the rear passenger foot peg, which made it tough for the passenger to keep their foot in only one position in order not to touch shoe rubber on the pipe.  To do it again, I would have gone with a pipe that crossed under the rear foot peg, such as the Vance Hines.  Best thing to do as always, go to an event-look and listen to the other bikes.  The wait will be worth it as you will definitely see another bike with what you really are going to want.. or go to some local dealers and ask to go into the service dept to hear other pipes on customer bikes.  Most dealers are really good about that.....

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 09:58:18 AM »

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.