Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick, How much oil in the trans.  (Read 1707 times)

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
Quick, How much oil in the trans.
« on: June 06, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »

I decided im not going to pay $400 for an oil change so I did it myself but it is so hard to get to that dipstick and get it in and out and then you cant see the oil on the stick. I put a quart and about 2 oz in it and I think it is slightly overfull. My HD mechanic tenant says that it wont hurt it to overfill it but I don't want to ruin my bike.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Quick, How much oil in the trans.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 03:47:27 PM »

You're fine.  I always put in a quart myself and never had any problems.  I'm sure you will get a variety of answers here.  Just like tire air pressures.   :goofy:
Jesus is Lord

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »

$400 for an oil change?
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »

One quart will do just fine in your transmission.  That said, I wouldn't sweat an ounce or two over... :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »

I decided im not going to pay $400 for an oil change so I did it myself but it is so hard to get to that dipstick and get it in and out and then you cant see the oil on the stick. I put a quart and about 2 oz in it and I think it is slightly overfull. My HD mechanic tenant says that it wont hurt it to overfill it but I don't want to ruin my bike.

If your dealer is only changing your oil during  mileage-based maintenace procedure, you need to find a reputable HD dealer. 
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 04:39:49 PM »

If your dealer is only changing your oil during  mileage-based maintenace procedure, you need to find a reputable HD dealer.  

Much easier said than done in many parts of the country unfortunately.  And most of those mileage based maintenance services are unnecessary or questionable at best.  For instance, do you really think it should be necessary to lubricate locks, hinges, etc. 1000 miles after buying the vehicle?  And if it really is, why is it not necessary to do it again at 2000 miles instead of waiting until 5000 miles?  Much of the BS on those checklists are throwbacks to fifty years ago, including the "need" to even do a 1000 mile fluid change.  The first service for most cars and trucks these days is at 7500 miles.  Is Harley saying their stuff is that much worse than the cheapest cars on the road?  Trust me, the oil isn't worn out at 1000 miles.  The entire 1000 mile service is designed to create dealer profits and opportunities to sell you more stuff.

Anyhow, purchase of a shop manual and then learning to do the maintenance work yourself is one of the very best ways to really get to know your bike.  I'd never consider doing it any other way.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 05:52:48 PM »

I rode to the Harley shop to ask how much oil I was supposed to put in the tranny and they told me 28 0z so I came back home and drained it all back out as I had probably36 oz in it. There was a LOT of small metal shaving in the oil I drained out. I was going to put it all back but I bought new instead. Oh well, at least I can do it on my own now.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »

Much easier said than done in many parts of the country unfortunately.  And most of those mileage based maintenance services are unnecessary or questionable at best.  For instance, do you really think it should be necessary to lubricate locks, hinges, etc. 1000 miles after buying the vehicle?  And if it really is, why is it not necessary to do it again at 2000 miles instead of waiting until 5000 miles?  Much of the BS on those checklists are throwbacks to fifty years ago, including the "need" to even do a 1000 mile fluid change.  The first service for most cars and trucks these days is at 7500 miles.  Is Harley saying their stuff is that much worse than the cheapest cars on the road?  Trust me, the oil isn't worn out at 1000 miles.  The entire 1000 mile service is designed to create dealer profits and opportunities to sell you more stuff.

Anyhow, purchase of a shop manual and then learning to do the maintenance work yourself is one of the very best ways to really get to know your bike.  I'd never consider doing it any other way.

Jerry

everybody has their own way, that's for sure.  My dealer is about as particular about my bike as I am.  fantastic folks.  I trust them explicitly and their service has been great for 5 years.  For me, I don't trust myself to do maintenance on my bikes.  i like that my dealer makes adjustments, checks torque on all the fasteners, checks brake wear, etc, in addition to all the fluid changes. On my 4 wheel vehicles, I absolutely do a lot of my own work, but I am just too absent minded and would probably leave something loose or not torqued correctly, and that could be a life altering mistake.

it's a $27k bike and I don't mind paying my dealer $300 once a year or so, to examine and do PM to the bike front to back.
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »

Just as every one else said do it your self.  You will see its really not that hard.  Just save your receipts in case there is a question of documentation.  Keep a record of mileage when things are done as well. 

I write on the receipt the mileage and date of my service and I also write the receipt number in my book for services and repairs as well.  Just so I can keep things in order.  But that's cause I get OCD sometimes. 

Plus this way I know everything really gets done to my satisfaction as well.  If it don't no one to blame but myself. 

I hate when I see someone's bike that had it in for service and the dealer greased the steering head bearings and didn't even clean up the extra grease they pushed out.  Drives me nuts.   They don't wipe off the grease fitting.   This my be petty but even leaving fingerprints in the dipstick or on the button of the bike.  People paying over 200 dollars for a service and that's the kind of service I see coming out of some of these places.  Even after someone washed it.

I would be ashamed.  I make a little mess when doing my service but I clean it up.  Heck I paid a lot for this thing.  I sure as heck want it to look like it as much as I can its bad enough I dont wash it like I should. 

I think for 400 bucks they should have showed ya how to do it.  And do a very professional job doing it. 

Man I think that could be another way a dealer could make a few extra bucks selling a something like that to some one that does want to do their own services. 

Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »

I don't either but I don't need to pay them to change fluids when all they do is remove a screw/screws and or a filter and add new oil, cheap oil at that. I will buy pipes from HD and let them tune it and give it a checkup then.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.