Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would it be possible to install a V-Rod engine in a Breakout?  (Read 5781 times)

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
Would it be possible to install a V-Rod engine in a Breakout?
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »

Not that I would do it or have it done one thing I don't like about our bikes is that they are slow compared to the V-Rod or sport bikes. If you could put a V-Rod engine in a Breakout you could have the best of both worlds. It would probably be a lit easyer and cheaper to put a 125R in a Breakout though.

Schumacher

Re: Would it be possible to install a V-Rod engine in a Breakout?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 04:30:02 AM »

I don't think so.

Fisherman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout Hard Candy Gold
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:18 AM »

When i can raise the funds its the 120r for me  :bananarock:

psdj52

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »

WHY?????

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »

According to HD literature, the FXSBSE has the highest power to weight ratio of any bike they produce (not braggin'. Just sayinisall). It should translate into it being faster than a v-rod though I have never tried to test that theory as I am of the laid-back-rider type. Also, I am one of those diehard air-cooled fans of machinery that God intended to be air-cooled, same way I feel about the Porsche 911. To quote Jerry Seinfeld: 'I think water-cooled engines are a passing fad'. ;)

Regardless I would think it would be easier if you start with a v-rod and have a new fake gas tank fitted and painted the same scheme, increase the rake, change the fenders/wheels and, voila, you have a v-rod breakout.

Cam

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »

Short of starting from scratch to build a frame that would hold both the V-Rod powertrain and the Breakout bits and pieces, the short answer to the question is NO.  Of course with enough money, cutting torches and welding rigs, and time, you can stuff most anything into anything.  How much time and money do you want to waste?

Harley's aren't about being fast, they're about style.  If you want really fast, head on over to your local Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki dealer and for less than you paid for that Breakout you can buy a bike that will run 180 mph right off the showroom floor and run rings around anything Harley has ever dreamed of in terms of handling.  Just sayin'. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harley2014

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »

I totally agree with you Jerry, Breakouts are such cool bikes, if I wanted a 200hp bike it would be a Jap bike. I have both, cheaper options? ;D

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »

It is interesting and a surprise to me that HP to weight ratio is better on the Breakout than the V-Rod. And no I do not want a sport bike or crotch rocket, they are not comfortable to me for one thing and I bought the CVO because I thought it was the chit the first time I laid eyes on it and I could not get it out of my head. Remember I was not a HD person.  Before that I was looking at V-Maxes or the V-Rod. I don't like the way a V-rod feels and I don't care for the butt ugly V-Max or the controls being underneath me. Ill keep my Breakout till I die. I was just wondering if it could be done. I may work the heads and put some faster cams in it in the future but not until I have to go into the engine for whatever reason.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »

I was mistaken regarding the power-to-weight being the best across the HD line. Apparently it is the best among all the CVO's, which makes sense since we all have the same engine and the baggers are heavier.  :-[

Here's the source of the info from:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/HD_News/Company/news.html?article=en_US/News/1494_press_release.hdnews

"The CVO Breakout story begins with its Twin Cam 110B engine, a 110-cid V-Twin that pumps out 112 ft. lbs. of peak torque to give the CVO Breakout the best power-to-weight ratio of any current CVO model."

Cam

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »

To truly understand the Breakout, one must consider its linage. H-D started the line with the Deuce, which was its idea or answer to the chopper idea. Stretched out front end, long tank, big back tire, :) to get the look, but they managed to keep decent handling! This became the Rocker with a bigger back tire, but really a one up only bar hopper. The Rocker became the Breakout. Long front end, really wide back tire and can be set up to handle 2 up and medium range riding, while still being a great looking bar hopper. With a little tuning it is as fast in a straight line as anybody needs on the street. With that long raked out front end it was never intended to be king of the corners. And it is stupidly stable in a straight line! The V-rod is the Harley for people who hate Harleys. Its a water cooled, Porsche designed, overhead cam, high rpm hotrod Harley that actually handles a lot like a really tuned Breakout, but looks like, well, a Porsche designed H-D. So buy one of each, and then you can be really happy!  :) :2vrolijk_21:   
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »

I saw the following on a Yamaha forum 3-4 years ago.  I was surprised that the Night Rod Special wasn't a lot faster thru the 1/4 mile than the Rocker.  With a pipe, cams, and fuel controller, I bet the 110 CVO Softails, Dynas, and Road Kings would beat a stock Vrod.  But you're paying $5-10k more for the CVO...

In another magazine comparison (I don't remember where), a '12 or '13 CVO Ultra was tested against a Gold Wing.  They said the GW was faster, but not by much.  Again, pipes, cams, and ECM on a CVO Ultra would probably end up leaving a GW in it's dust.  Again, that's another $10-15K more for the CVO than the GW.

I just wish Harley's stock power and price were a little more competitive with everyone else's.

Performance is effected by so many variables.  HP and Torque alone don't tell the whole story.  The 1/4 mile is where the truth is distilled.

Bike   1/4 mile E.T.
Yahama Star Raider   12.09*
Suzuki M109R   12.08**
HD Rocker   13.30*
HD Night Rod Special   12.47**
Honda VTX1800F   12.90**
Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic   13.30**
Victory Hammer S   13.17**
Yamaha Star Warrior   13.01**

*CycleWorld, March 2008

**Popular Mechanics, May 2007

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 07:16:58 AM »

Harley's aren't about being fast, they're about style.  If you want really fast, head on over to your local Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki dealer and for less than you paid for that Breakout you can buy a bike that will run 180 mph right off the showroom floor and run rings around anything Harley has ever dreamed of in terms of handling.  Just sayin'. 

Jerry

Yeah but whats the fun in doing that! I would rather ride my Breakout doing 11's than a Jappa doing 10's any day.
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 07:58:04 AM »

I saw the following on a Yamaha forum 3-4 years ago.  I was surprised that the Night Rod Special wasn't a lot faster thru the 1/4 mile than the Rocker.  With a pipe, cams, and fuel controller, I bet the 110 CVO Softails, Dynas, and Road Kings would beat a stock Vrod.  But you're paying $5-10k more for the CVO...

In another magazine comparison (I don't remember where), a '12 or '13 CVO Ultra was tested against a Gold Wing.  They said the GW was faster, but not by much.  Again, pipes, cams, and ECM on a CVO Ultra would probably end up leaving a GW in it's dust.  Again, that's another $10-15K more for the CVO than the GW.

I just wish Harley's stock power and price were a little more competitive with everyone else's.

Performance is effected by so many variables.  HP and Torque alone don't tell the whole story.  The 1/4 mile is where the truth is distilled.

Bike   1/4 mile E.T.
Yahama Star Raider   12.09*
Suzuki M109R   12.08**
HD Rocker   13.30*
HD Night Rod Special   12.47**
Honda VTX1800F   12.90**
Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic   13.30**
Victory Hammer S   13.17**
Yamaha Star Warrior   13.01**

*CycleWorld, March 2008

**Popular Mechanics, May 2007

Pppffffffffttttttttt.....

They should have tested with the Rocker C...     >:(

Dah
(Proud owner of one of the slowest bike on earth)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »

I don't know why a lot of folks knock the Rocker. I think it's one of the best looking Harley's out there. One day I'll add one to the collection.

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.