Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time to say good bye  (Read 2060 times)

FLHXHS

• 2020 FLHTKSE
    • BC

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE [traded - I miss her]
Time to say good bye
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:59:12 AM »

Well - so It begins.

I am slowly [begrudgingly] transitioning from my 2009 FLHX --> 2017 FLHXSE.

Although a no-brainer to most, mybe I have some like minded individuals here.

A brief synopsis:
-2008 November - Bought my brand new Vivid Black 2009 FLHX. Promptly named her "Christine" as it was love at first sight, and similar to the move of the same name. I lorded over the P&A catalog. I did the usual ST1 with a heavy breather and HD SE Street Cannons. I managed 2000 km in November in Alberta. [EDM].
-2009 Spring - Rode to Vancouver Island after breaking up with the GF at the time. Maybe Christine gave me the boost to get out of the bad relationship.
-2009 September - Rode from Van Isle to LVNV then out to the Oregon Coast. Met Newport Oregon. Motorcycle Adventures were minted on this ride. Met my now wife prior and cemented her and my future around this time.
-2010 August - Rode to Sturgis for the rally. Had a blast.
-2011 - Rode the heck out of Christine. Installed a 120R. It blew up after 15,000 km. Rebuilt with slight overbore and TMan 662-2 cams.
-2012 September - Motorcycle Accident. I fell asleep due to cold medication. Sketchy details / memory, but I woke in the hospital looking up at florescent lighting. Odd. Undetered as I had no memory of the incident. Basically walked away. Motorcycle rebuilt - drivetrain intact.
-2013 July - Rode to Milwaukee for the HD 110th after riding from Alberta to LVNV, Phoenix, NOLA, Key West, Tail of the Dragon. Long rides are in my blood. Bought the Rivet in Milwaukee at the Museum.
-2014 - Rode from Van Isle to get married in LVNV by way of Newport, SF, and Anahiem. Continued on similar trip for a honeymoon. Pensacola Beach Margaritaville... :) Came back via Milwaukee and was a day early for Sturgis. Christine was in the wedding. I had photos on her with my good lady wife. We rode into town with my wife in her wedding dress.
-2015 - Rode to Sturgis via Cranbrook, Lewiston [Lolo], Red Lodge [Beartooth], Cody, then to Sturgis for the 75th. Brought my buddy along on his 2015 FLTRX. That winter found a broken valve spring. Long story ended up with a TMan 124R with the same 662-2 cams.
-2016 - Over to Milwaukee again. Christine started getting hot in the elevation of Colorado. LVNV was particularly hot. Riding two up I belive the motor was heat soaked. next day the 124R came apart leaving me on the side of the road north of Hurricane, UT. Had to drive down, uhaul rental to get her home. Bought a S&S 124 LC - supposed to be the "Ultimate Motor." After tune / break in stored Christine in LVNV over the winter.
-2017 January - May - Did 4 fly and rides including the Laughlin River Run. Motor sounded a little loud in the rocker box. Brought it over to the S&S tent - they assured me all was well. Flew down the final time to return Christine home to Canada. Long run but made it to 3km SW outside Fernie BC. The crank bearing in the "Ultimate Motor" went at 7500 km.
-2017 July - my wife put deposit down on 2017 FLHXSE "Penelope" was born. I rode it stock for the 1620 km [1000 mi]. Had service done and changed to K&N air filter and 14" Arlen Ness handlebars. Still stock exhaust...
-2017 October - After most of the riding season S&S went good on the warantee.

I asked on HD Forums what to do. My wife has a seldom ridden 07 FLSTN. I was hoping to get her on Christine with the stereo, fairing, and Cruise Control. Or I'd ride Christine, and she could ride Penelope. If I rode - the new 124 LC might go in. If she rode she would rather the 96". Currently I've got the 96" back in and am about 1/2 way complete with the installation.

I think it is time to say goodbye if my wife doesn't take ownership. It's sad how much I've thought about this. WTH is wrong with me. First World problems I guess.

I haven't fallen in love with Penelope yet. I hope to as it was $46,000 [CAD].

See my delima? I'm reluctantly piecing together Christine with the 96" and have to change over to the stock wheeels and the stock shocks / head unit / tail light and remove such items as the highway pegs and Clearwater Darlas.

Lots to do.

Anyhow I think I needed to vent prior to going to bed and continuing with the project tomorrow...

Thanks

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
Re: Time to say good bye
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:14:18 AM »

Christine is a real heart breaker, her own. I would have dumped her like the girl friend. Seems like both were bad relationships. With your luck with engines I'd stick with a stock engine and always have it under some kind of warranty. (JMHO)
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »

2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail
Convertible  FLSTSE3

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 04:12:24 PM »

FLHXHS,

Sad to say this, but it's pretty much the typical Twin Cam story: stock engine breaks, 120R breaks, 124 breaks.  Many of us lived the same.

Let's hope the M8 story isn't a re-run.  I'm using BigChuck's idea, and keeping a warranty on it JIC.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLHXHS

• 2020 FLHTKSE
    • BC

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE [traded - I miss her]
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 11:36:24 PM »

Nope - you guys are right. Time to turn a page.

I've got the 96" back in and ready for the wife to see if she prefers it to her 07 Deluxe.

If yes - then great. if no, she will still have her Deluxe.

Anyhow - moving forward.

H

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »

Getting a new bike is traumatic... It's a great day yeah, but you've got months of upfitting and outfitting ahead of you!
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 22 queries.