Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin' Eagle® Fat Boy®

How to fix rust line in bare metal part of front fender?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ride n Shine:
I took my paint set off, waxed them and put them away because I could see this would happen. It is a very neat looking paint job for a factory set but not one that will be around on bikes when they become classics.
All I can suggest is that you remove the clear from the rust and treat it and reclear it. Not an easy job but with a bit of time and a lot of care you can do it or get someone to do it for you. Shame I'm on the other side of the world or I'd give you a hand.

tmitchellofpg:
I rode to the local dealer today to see what a new SE front fender cost.  They said $780, but suggested I take it to a body shop. I will try one that has a good reputation and see what they want to do the repair. I figure I might as well get it fixed, before it spreads further.
Tom

JP:
My 05  SE fat boy has two rust spots on the front fender. I think they started from rock chips. I`m sure the dealer or a custom paint shop can fix them, but at what cost?

I can tell how i`am going to resolve my problem. I have my order in for a SERG/ orange & black.

MikeD:

--- Quote from: JP on October 29, 2008, 12:20:34 PM ---My 05  SE fat boy has two rust spots on the front fender. I think they started from rock chips. I`m sure the dealer or a custom paint shop can fix them, but at what cost?

I can tell how i`am going to resolve my problem. I have my order in for a SERG/ orange & black.

--- End quote ---

Thats the best idea I've heard of yet!!!

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE:

--- Quote from: tmitchellofpg on October 24, 2008, 08:02:52 PM ---I did a search on here and couldn't find anyone that has recently had a problem with a rust crack in the bare metal part of the front fender. I found 2 that were years ago and were fixed under warranty. I just noticed mine recently. Thought I would put a chrome fender tip on to cover it, but think it may keep spreading. Just wondering what would be the best way to fix, or at least keep it from spreading, before I cover it.
My rust crack is  1/3" long and the width that a heavy pencil mark would make. I figure it would be better to fix it, even it doesn't come out too good, then cover it with a fender tip and then have it spread past the tip.
Have any SE Fat Boy owner's gone through this yet?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Tom

--- End quote ---

I had one replaced under warranty but very soon after I removed it, wrapped it in bubble wrap & replaced it with a chrome fender problem solved!

Cheers
Aussie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version