CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

Progressive 440 Shocks

(1/14) > >>

MoChrome:
Here's a report from my friend John who installed Progressive 440 shocks on his SEEG last week....

" Progressive 440 Report:

We were scheduled for a four day trip over the 4th holiday, but decided to pass since the weather was not real promising. The other couple suggested a one day trip to Dillards for lunch yesterday. Off we went.

Disclaimers. Driver; 212 lbs. Passenger; 175 lbs. SEEG, king tourpack; rain suits, light load, rain off and on during the day, more weight after the delicious, all you can eat, country cookin food at The Dillard House in Dillard, Georgia. Some curves, mostly sweeps in the roads. The shocks come in the soft mode. I cranked them up for the 2 up riding, but did not readjust them during the day.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being bad and 10 being great, I rate the stock air shocks a 3 for single riding and a 1 for two up riding for people our size and weight (the buckboard ride). I had no problem with the single riding for short distances, but do like long distance riding. One could argue that the wrong bike was purchased to start with for that kind of riding. It is a great argument, but the O/B color scheme and the 103 engine with all the crome, got my eye.

The 440's, after 360 miles yesterday, I rate as an 8. The ride, on the expressway and on the state highways was a 9. The bike gives with the road and provides a better, smoother ride than I had on the Road King. (of course it was lowered in the back too) The expansion breaks in the expressway at bridges still resulted in the "bottoming out" sensasion. The ride on all surfaces and contours, other than the expansion breaks was a 9. I specifically asked Cheryl how she rated the ride. This is written with her input. I suspect the ride with one up would be close to a 9.5.

So you think, I like the 440's? You are right. It is a pleasure to ride the SEEG now. In Harley Davidson's defense, the SEEG couldn't have been built with touring in mind. It is built to look at and to take "look at me" rides on. In that area, it needs no improvement.

Conclusion: Save your money, or just turn some loose. For the $411.00 on the 440's, it is well spent. Long term ride? We will see. Best wishes. "

mr_magoo:
Thanks for the info have been looking at these shocks for a while,  just hadn't heard anyone using them.  Bonus is you get away from having to check air pressure.

bighd:
You're right the shocks are great.  I don't know if you bought the heavy duty but I would recommend it unless you weigh under 175 and always ride alone.  They are well worth the price and easy to install yourself.  I have never figured out why harley put those crappy air shocks on any bike they are a pain to have to check because they always lose pressure.

Dr. Evil:
This was the best $400 I've ever spent.  And shame on H-D for selling the SEEG with such crap as stock.  Yesterday, I installed the 11.5" "Heavy duty" model (stock is 12".  And without much adjustment... the City ride (potholes, etc) is 100% better.  Living in Chicago was making riding this bike tough.  My passenger (who was nearly done being a passenger because of the ride quality) is pleased.  And I can throw away my stupid air pressure guage!  No, it's not like my Ultra was... but it's not like it used to be either.  What a difference. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Dr. Evil:
Forgot to mention... a 20 minute complete installation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version