Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: K&N Replacement Filter  (Read 3242 times)

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
K&N Replacement Filter
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »

My friend just bought a 2008 SERK and it is 100% stock. I'm ordering a buynch of parts for him and I think I confused myself when reading several posts about the K&N air filters. Is there a certain part number to order where I take the old one out and put in the new one? I have read about needing to make a 1/4" rubber spacer to make it work. Also, do I have to take the black plastic off from the chrome cover? I did the SE Heavy Duty breather so I never had to deal with this on my bike.

Any part #'s would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
Re: K&N Replacement Filter
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 02:47:04 PM »

bump

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 03:39:29 PM »

My friend just bought a 2008 SERK and it is 100% stock. I'm ordering a buynch of parts for him and I think I confused myself when reading several posts about the K&N air filters. Is there a certain part number to order where I take the old one out and put in the new one? I have read about needing to make a 1/4" rubber spacer to make it work. Also, do I have to take the black plastic off from the chrome cover? I did the SE Heavy Duty breather so I never had to deal with this on my bike.

Any part #'s would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The 2008 SERK had the black plastic airbox and the football shaped chrome cover, just like the CUSE.  If you want to just replace the air filter element and keep the black plastic airbox, there is a replacement part from K&N that will fit, part number HD-1508.  http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HD-1508

However, if you're looking for the open backplate type of air cleaner, like the Screamin' Eagle kit, you will remove the black plastic airbox and replace it with an aluminum backplate.  If that is the type of air cleaner you're really looking for, rather than just a replacement filter for the stock airbox, I'd suggest you go with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker since it comes with the K&N element.  If you buy the SE kit, it comes with a cheap knockoff paper element, not the genuine oiled cotton gauze K&N.

Stage 1     http://www.arlenness.com/p-3719-stage-i-08-10-flt.aspx

Stage 1 Chrome     http://www.arlenness.com/p-3721-stage-i-wchrome-backing-plate-08-10-flt.aspx

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:56:44 PM »

The 2008 SERK had the black plastic airbox and the football shaped chrome cover, just like the CUSE.  If you want to just replace the air filter element and keep the black plastic airbox, there is a replacement part from K&N that will fit, part number HD-1508.  http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HD-1508

However, if you're looking for the open backplate type of air cleaner, like the Screamin' Eagle kit, you will remove the black plastic airbox and replace it with an aluminum backplate.  If that is the type of air cleaner you're really looking for, rather than just a replacement filter for the stock airbox, I'd suggest you go with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker since it comes with the K&N element.  If you buy the SE kit, it comes with a cheap knockoff paper element, not the genuine oiled cotton gauze K&N.

Stage 1     http://www.arlenness.com/p-3719-stage-i-08-10-flt.aspx

Stage 1 Chrome     http://www.arlenness.com/p-3721-stage-i-wchrome-backing-plate-08-10-flt.aspx

Jerry

Thanks for the information! looks like I will go with the Arlen ness. I can still use the stock cover right?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:58:23 PM by vrog »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 07:29:45 PM »

Plenty of folks with the current style CVO air cleaner covers have used them with the round K&N style filters, even though H-D indicates they won't work.  The reason is that the older style covers have a round center section that fits the round end of the filter perfectly, and thus the cover is fully supported.  The newer CVO style covers have a rectangular center section that doesn't match up as well with the outer end of the filter, and that can cause issues such as stress cracking of the center nut in the filter from vibration and movement of the cover.  Many people on the site have indicated they've had no problem, but to be safe you may want to provide additional support.  Place the filter into the cover (off the bike) and line it up with center bolt, and then you will be able to see where additional support is needed.  I don't have any photo's or drawings to help explain it any better, you just have to see it for yourself.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:27:55 AM »

Got it! I'm sure I will be able to figure it out.  Thanks for the help

Markyjoe

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 07:39:25 PM »

I spoke to the Arlen Ness company and they said this so what can I use for after market??

"18-512  BG SCKR STG1 08-16 FLT CH  is the proper part number for 08-16 RoadKing Models. However, your bike most likely has a Screamin’ Eagle Throttle Body on it that is not compatible with our air cleaner. If your bike has a Screamin Eagle Throttle Body, you will need to use a Screamin’ Eagle Air Cleaner."

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 05:50:20 PM »

I put a big sucker with chrome backplate on my FLHRSE4 years ago.  The stock football cover fits on it.  Works great.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 06:18:19 PM by JKM »
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.