Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO Tuning and Breather Selection  (Read 1711 times)

garwood94

CVO Tuning and Breather Selection
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:10:27 AM »

I have polished and ported my heads, switched to an HPI 54mm T/B and 1.8" manifold and switched to high compression pistons and a set of Woods Cams in my 110 CVO Softail engine.  My tuner is suggesting me to replace the Heavy Breather with a Zippers K&N, Model #117-440C to increase air flow.  Does anyone have any test data that would support this change?  I like the look of the stock Heavy Breather so I need to know that the change is measurable before I allow him to make the change - Any input is appreciated...

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: CVO Tuning and Breather Selection
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Great looking bike.

I would find it hard to believe the K&N would have any substantial (if any at all) over the heavy breather.  The heavy breather is very free flowing.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »

The air cleaner your guy recommended is what Zipper's calls their "MaxFlow".  It's basically the same thing as the old Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, but with a 1/2-3/4" deeper K&N element.  You would need to buy a cover, either the Harley football or a custom cover, and the entire assembly would stick out at least 3/4" further than stock, which could cause some issues with your right leg.  As for the flow rates of the two filters, I haven't seen any test results on either.

I don't see anything about that Zipper's part that would make me want to dump the HB.  Of course, you could always tell your tuner to "prove it"; after he tunes the bike with the HB let him install his choice of air cleaner and make some more runs at his expense.  If he can show you significant improvement in curves and numbers (which I seriously doubt), and if you can deal with the drawbacks of that wider filter, go for it.  It's not a terribly expensive part, about $115 retail at J&P for plain aluminum and $140 for chrome.  Plus the cost of a cover, of course.  Just have him give you a map for the HB as well, so if you decide you can't stand that Zipper's air cleaner you can easily reinstall the HB and the corresponding map without paying him again, and then sell the Zipper's parts.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=572&prod=2207

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:24:44 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

jesse111

• Full CVO Member
    • Jesse Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »

First of all the Heavy Breather is in my opinion the best looking intake on the market. You'd lose part of what is making your bike like as good as it does. Second of all, I believe the Heavy Breather could supply enough air for an engine with much higher intake needs than yours.

There is no doubt in my mind, I wouldn't change. Your bike is fine. Now just go ride it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:01:06 PM by jesse111 »

garwood94

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »

Thanks for everyone's input - I am staying with the heavy breather.  I am waiting on HD of Greenville to run it on the dyno and tune the TTS tuner so I can bring her home... :orange:

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 22 queries.