Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Tires for my FLHRSE4  (Read 19594 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Re: Tires for my FLHRSE4
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »

Well, I am not one to egg GH on, I gave up and paid the state of MA the grand ransom to register my bike...
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »

Well, I am not one to egg GH on, I gave up and paid the state of MA the grand ransom to register my bike...

And that blew chunks too.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 01:13:58 PM »

That was part of the discussion I had with HD customer service but their position is there is no way for warped rotors to have had any bearing on cupped tires.

The owner of the Dealer told me to get over it and just buy a new tire. There is 2-3/32 of wear left on the tire according to the dealer. Not really sure how far to go with this. What a hassle.

Howie

GH,

Sounds like your tire looks just like mine did. I was in Flagstaff AZ. on my way back to Austin, Texas 1,000+ miles across hot roads/highways so I replaced the tire.

Next time tell them the brakes are causing the tire to hop during breaking which causes the cupping.

I would also try to get them to replace the front rotors if you have the same shaking during stopping like I did. You feel it the most anywhere above 50 mph, grabbing a hand full of brakes at 80 you will definitely feel the shake. With the ABS though i never felt out of control, the front end just shakes badly.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »

What I don't understand is why are our front tires on the FLHRSE3&4 only last 8-10K miles?????? When the 402's can last at least 22K miles and still look good enough to go an additional 2-3K. Why are allot of us reporting a front end clunk? Could this be causing the tire wear? I have always kept the correct tire pressure in wife's tires and they alway wear to what I feel is unsafe because of severe cupping. She rides allot of miles and not as aggressive as GH, but they still wear to fast for my satisfaction.

:pumpkin:
Brad
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 02:50:39 PM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »

The bike rides and tracks fine (up and through 100mph) until I grab the brake, then the front end starts hammering. I watched the mechanic drive it around the lot and I thought the tourpak was gonna snap off from the banging! They said the same thing happens to the V-rod tires. It could certianly be the rotors and I will have them checked out. Lucky enough to have a head mechanic at my dealer that actually gives a s--t!
'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2008, 07:29:34 PM »

The E3 tire rode decent , but mine cupped badly by 8K. HD changed to the D407 by then, which rides like a real POS! And those are cupping on people too. It's BS they won't replace it, cause they damn well know about these problems. FTW! Time to try the Metzlers is all! ;)

I'm using 6 piston DB PM calipers and the original rotors seem fine so far at 17K miles. Keeping an eye on them too now! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »

The E3 tire rode decent , but mine cupped badly by 8K. HD changed to the D407 by then, which rides like a real POS! And those are cupping on people too. It's BS they won't replace it, cause they damn well know about these problems. FTW! Time to try the Metzlers is all! ;)

I'm using 6 piston DB PM calipers and the original rotors seem fine so far at 17K miles. Keeping an eye on them too now! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist,

The Flagstaff/Belmount HD dealer put an E3 on when I had them replace my tires at 9K, the original D407 was really worn but now with E3 and the new rotors at 12K, I have 16K on the E3 and it is not showing the much wear yet. I think if you wanted to get your hands on another E3 Flagstaff/Belmount Grand Canyon HD might be able to help you out.

I think the D407 with its big center groove and ABS Brembo with all that stopping power wear the tire out quickly because there is little tire on the road in the middle of the tire. the D407 is probably a little better in the rain but worse in the dry where we all spend mostof our time riding.

When the Flagstaff shop put the E3 on I asked if it was the same size because the tire thread was different but after riding it to Autin TX from AZ and it showed little wear even with the rotors causing the front to shake with fast stops from 80 I became a fan of the E3 versus the D407.
 :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »

Hoist,

The Flagstaff/Belmount HD dealer put an E3 on when I had them replace my tires at 9K, the original D407 was really worn but now with E3 and the new rotors at 12K, I have 16K on the E3 and it is not showing the much wear yet. I think if you wanted to get your hands on another E3 Flagstaff/Belmount Grand Canyon HD might be able to help you out.

I think the D407 with its big center groove and ABS Brembo with all that stopping power wear the tire out quickly because there is little tire on the road in the middle of the tire. the D407 is probably a little better in the rain but worse in the dry where we all spend mostof our time riding.

When the Flagstaff shop put the E3 on I asked if it was the same size because the tire thread was different but after riding it to Autin TX from AZ and it showed little wear even with the rotors causing the front to shake with fast stops from 80 I became a fan of the E3 versus the D407.
 :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks. I agree, I liked the way the E3 rode too. But he's got to be working from his stock. They don't produce that tire for HD anymore. I'm looking for tires that I can get readily, ride decent, and wear normal. Normal to me is 8-10K/rear and the front every other rear. Is that asking too much? :nixweiss: ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »

Thanks. I agree, I liked the way the E3 rode too. But he's got to be working from his stock. They don't produce that tire for HD anymore. I'm looking for tires that I can get readily, ride decent, and wear normal. Normal to me is 8-10K/rear and the front every other rear. Is that asking too much? :nixweiss: ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
I agree, he probably has only his stock and when it runs out that is it.

Two rears to one front or about 22K for a front is what I would expect. Maybe our riding styles with lots of high speed stops has something to do with the wear. I know I rarely let off early and coast up to a stop.   

I also think the D407 is going to wear real fast because of the center groove. If you look at the center 1 inch of the tire, maybe 25% of it is groove, the E3 has probably 75% tire in the same area.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »

Hoist! 8)
According to the guy that owns the dealer I donate to, it is. His response to the short life of these tires is and I quote "times change".  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Howie

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2008, 12:54:03 AM »

Sound like TIME TO CHANGE DEALERS.

:pumpkin:
Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »

I'm a little anal on the air pressure thing- we check our pressures before every ride, and make the necessary adjustments.  I got 13K on my first set of OEM tires- F & R, and have right at 7K on the second set.  They'll be due for replacement when we (before) get back from Sturgis. 
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2008, 09:53:14 PM »

I have the orginal tires on mine,E3, D407 and have 10,500 on them, rear tire is close to replacing, front looks like it can go another 10,000, Dealer here in town quoted me 152.00 for rear tire, Metz 135.00 not sure which one i'm going with.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2008, 12:59:25 AM »

Just a stupid question here but is Bridgestone offering anything to fit our bikes? I am no where close to needing tires so therefore I haven't looked into it. I do know that they make some really great tires for sportbikes so I was hoping that they might offer something for our SERK's.

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »

Update: They changed the tire under warranty "this time...". The rotors where way-warped. As I understood it, the max run out they like on the rotors is.8000. The left one was.11000 and the right was .15000! How the H it ever got down the road is beyond me. They ordered two new rotors, due next week. We'll see if that fixes the pulsing in the front end. Now if they can only get the starter to work every time....I'll save that for another tread.
'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 25 queries.