Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Gary, Roger, Anyone Else Whose Been There May We Talk About Your Ass ?  (Read 2390 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Mine is bothering me more.  Hip.  Left side for me.  Was told 12 or 13-ish years ago that hip replacement was probably in my future.  Shoulder on the other side too but that one still isn't misbehaving enough for me to care.

For the last year or a bit I've noticed that to sit even moderately comfortably I'm not sitting "normally."  Left foot up in the chair to (I guess) take some weight off the hip.  Or one leg is tucked under the other so I'm bearing less on the hip.  I don't notice much when walking. 

Also, once in awhile just out of the blue something will happen in there and then it goes way beyond uncomfortable and hurts like a son of a bitch.  I'm squirming in the saddle more when riding too.  Discomfort and occasional spasms all in the left hip.  Put a crash bar on pegs on the FXR just because to ride comfortably I needed another place to put my feet and, for best effect, someplace significantly higher.

So gentlemen, what were your asses like before you had any work done?  Am I still at the put-it-off stage?  I have the regular annual visit to the GP/Internist next week.  Did the fluids drain today so she can say she's looked under the hood.  Wondering if its time to bug her for an orthopod consult to begin whatever extended process any work would probably be?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

It's been 13 years since I had my left hip replaced and it was the best thing I ever did. My discomfort had got to the point that I couldn't drive for more than 30 minutes w/o having to stop, get out and walk around. The top of my femur which is supposed to be round was so worn out it was cone shaped... the socket in the pelvic bone had a similar shape.

Prior to having it replaced I tried the corticosteroid injections into the joint for pain relief which helped some but IMO when pain came back it felt worse. Not sure if that was from being pain free for awhile or it was actually worse. Once I felt I couldn't take the pain anymore and had it replaced it was like flicking a light switch how fast the pain was gone. There was discomfort from the surgery but the deep intense bone pain/discomfort was gone. IMO most ppl will put up with/bear the pain much longer then needed.

Bottom line only you can decide when it's time to get it done... then if you're like me (and probably most that have had it done) you will be kicking yourself in the butt (w/your new hip.. pun intended) for waiting so long.

If you haven't already go visit an ortho surgeon, have x-rays done so you can see the extent of the damage. Since I had mine replaced technology has advanced significantly... Roger's replacement was done w/a newer method than mine and if I remember correctly it was less invasive.

Below is the commercial I did for hospital 8 weeks after surgery...

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Thank Gary.  I still remember the chats back when yours was done. 

I've been gobsmacked by some of the information have been reading the last couple weeks.  Outpatient.  Home same day in some cases.  Some centers even doing it without putting you under general anesthesia.  Just a local and then get you so high on something good you're amused by all that's going on.

I also remember Roger doing his first one then later saying the second with an "anterior approach" (if I remember right) was a lot easier.  But that's been ten-ish years or so ago too?  I think.  Apparently this last decade has seen profound improvement in methods and recovery. 

I'm not out of the car every half hour.  Yet.  90 minutes is a LONG time though.  Am mostly ok walking or standing.  Sitting can be a bitch.  What I've really noticed is how much more it's bothering me in the last 10-12 months.  My left ass is no longer always my friend.

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3

I was blessed with the arthritis gene!  Along with some athletic issues and job related misuses of both hips and knees.  Had a total hip replacement when I was 52 years old (will be 74 next month) it would go out on me constantly.  I'd be walking along and all of a sudden it felt like I was stabbed with a knife, had to regroup a few minutes before walking again.

Second hip was replaced 10 years later...all good, and frankly should not waited so long.  Right about then I purchased a Tri- Glide, thinking that was what I needed.   I was correct as then both knees were replaced (about 2 years apart) Now I call them racing stripes...uppers and lowers!  All in all it wasn't the worst thing that could happen, and after gaining some confidence, I went back to 2 wheels. 

Fast forward to today....both knees and hips are holding up well!!  My riding days will be coming to an end soon, however, not due to any knee or hip issues, thankfully.  Research as much as you can, and believe me no matter what anyone tells you, it is definitely worth it, and you be saying I shouldn't have waited so long! 
2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail
Convertible  FLSTSE3

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

Before I had mine replaced I asked my PCP & Surgeon when would be time to have it replaced and they both said they couldn't tell me. Both said it would be up to the individual to determine when the time is right. For me it was longer than I should have waited and it was due to the pain/discomfort got to the point my quality of life sucked. I felt as though if I were a horse the owner would have taken me out in the field and shot me to put me out my misery.

What are you doing/using for pain management, if you haven't already have you thought about getting the steroid injection?

BTW.... I now have arthritis in both shoulders, have had my right knee scoped several times w/little to no cartilage left in it. Getting old ain't for wussies. :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:26:13 AM by Fired00d »
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

WRE4U, thanks for sharing the experience.  The common theme in all the conversations has been some variation of "don't wait" or "no reason to wait anymore."  And that sudden shooting in my left hip, just out of the blue, is definitely the one thing that really pisses me off.

Gary, I don't really do pain meds.  For whatever reason they tend to not have great effect on me and so I tend to not even screw with them.  Fortunately, apparently, more than one doc has said my "tolerance" for discomfort is such that I'm too stupid to notice a lot of things that I should notice more.  That's both good and bad (the doctors have explained).  Because I tolerate things ok on the good side but things can also get out of hand a bit without my paying a lot of attention on the other.

I have done the cortisone shot.  In the shoulder too.  Helps for awhile.  It's not dramatic but it's definitely an improvement.

Actually on the pain meds topic I did do an opioid once.  Pills sent home with me after I cut off my finger.  Took it two or three days before realizing it wasn't doing much so said to hell with it.  Took the pills for two or three days and didn't crap right for two weeks!

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD

My wife's former boss had both hips done the same day. Yes the same day. Went in on Monday, surgery on Tuesday, Home on Wednesday. He was back to work the next week. He said if I come to the hospital ( MUSC ) for therapy I might as well stay and work. He was the President of UMA ( United Medical Associates ) which is the division the doctors work for.

Mike

:drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

This all sounds very Tragically Hip.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

My wife's former boss had both hips done the same day. Yes the same day. Went in on Monday, surgery on Tuesday, Home on Wednesday. He was back to work the next week. He said if I come to the hospital ( MUSC ) for therapy I might as well stay and work. He was the President of UMA ( United Medical Associates ) which is the division the doctors work for.

Mike

:drink:

Both sides?  That sounds hard core.  Now I'm glad it's only my left ass that is cranky.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

This all sounds very Tragically Hip.

I was so ready for that.  Just waiting for you ;D .

www.thehip.com/

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

WRE4U, thanks for sharing the experience.  The common theme in all the conversations has been some variation of "don't wait" or "no reason to wait anymore."  And that sudden shooting in my left hip, just out of the blue, is definitely the one thing that really pisses me off.

Gary, I don't really do pain meds.  For whatever reason they tend to not have great effect on me and so I tend to not even screw with them.  Fortunately, apparently, more than one doc has said my "tolerance" for discomfort is such that I'm too stupid to notice a lot of things that I should notice more.  That's both good and bad (the doctors have explained).  Because I tolerate things ok on the good side but things can also get out of hand a bit without my paying a lot of attention on the other.

I have done the cortisone shot.  In the shoulder too.  Helps for awhile.  It's not dramatic but it's definitely an improvement.

Actually on the pain meds topic I did do an opioid once.  Pills sent home with me after I cut off my finger.  Took it two or three days before realizing it wasn't doing much so said to hell with it.  Took the pills for two or three days and didn't crap right for two weeks!
Damn... more proof that we are twin brotha's from different mother's... had the same problem w/the pain meds after my hip replacement... quit taking them because they "locked" me up.... finally when I had a "break through" felt like I needed to take them again for the pain.... I swear I passed a cinderblock... sideways!!! :bigcry:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

I was so ready for that.  Just waiting for you ;D .

www.thehip.com/

Figured my silence would disappoint.  Knew my non silence would disappoint.  Easy decision.  ;D

Hope all goes well with your hip.  If you get a new bionic hip you should get one with an auto leg swing mode.  Push a button & your leg swings over the bike seat easily. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

I swear I passed a cinderblock... sideways!!! :bigcry:

Dood !  :apple: :drink:

I feel ya brother  :pepper: :pineapple:

I don't even want to think about that kind of "anticipation" again!  :drummer:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded

Don, as they say 'just do it.'  No reason to put it off and suffer in my never to be humble opinion.  My sweet wife (bless her heart) suffered with knee pain for several years before finally getting a TKR (total knee replacement) on one leg and then a couple years later on the other.

So when my knees started bothering me I said what the heck let's go for it.  Now you may (or may not) recall that I had a broken tibia on my left leg in 2009 and it was yes due to a motorcycle crash.  So I had a titanium rod in that lower leg . . . well the 'official' orthopedic name is an intramedullary nail, lol.  Well they sure nailed it!  So that had to come out before my TKR.  It came out Aug 8, 2019, followed by a TKR on that leg two months later on Oct 8.  Then three months later on Jan 8, 2020, I had a TKR on the right leg.  Was it fun?  Hell no.  But it really wasn't as bad as I expected . . . and everything I've heard and read tells me that the hip replacement is not nearly as bad as the TKR.  The hip is a much simpler joint than the knee.

And as for the pain meds the opiods (hydrocodone and oxycondne) can and do constipate, lol.  But they worked pretty well for me. 

Now my bride herself is also having hip pain (and has for a couple years).  She is bummed, nonplussed and pissed off that she will need surgery yet again.  But I look at it this way - thank God for modern medicine where we can get these problems taken care of.

So good luck and best wishes my friend.  Git 'er done and you'll be glad you did I think.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

If the doctor says it's time I won't argue the point. I may whine quietly in my head but I will follow their lead.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

If the doctor says it's time I won't argue the point. I may whine quietly in my head but I will follow their lead.
The doctor isn't the one enduring the pain/discomfort or lack of quality of life. Doc can determine if there is an issue/deterioration of the joint but you have to say "when it's time".

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

The doctor isn't the one enduring the pain/discomfort or lack of quality of life. Doc can determine if there is an issue/deterioration of the joint but you have to say "when it's time".

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's a distinction I'd not quite made Gary.  In my head doc would say "now we can" and I'd say either yes or no.  Being more proactive rather than reactive hadn't been part of my personal calculus.  That's why I always like talking to or working with people smarter and more experienced than I am.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

That's a distinction I'd not quite made Gary.  In my head doc would say "now we can" and I'd say either yes or no.  Being more proactive rather than reactive hadn't been part of my personal calculus.  That's why I always like talking to or working with people smarter and more experienced than I am.
That's exactly what the doc will say, and it will be up to you to learn from those before you that waited and endured pain to long to be "proactive". ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 24 queries.