Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I just joined the sumping club  (Read 1564 times)

richbiker

• RJs Custom V-Twin
    • WA

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ulrta (sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO softail convertible
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO Ultra Limited
I think I just joined the sumping club
« on: April 23, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »

Yesterday I was cruising up the freeway for 15 minutes and just as my exit came up I started feeling the power falling off,  down shifted and it felt like I down shifted 2-3 gears because of the drag from the engine, down shifted again and same thing, looked in the mirror and saw massive amount of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, came to a stop and the engine died and will not restart. 
Towed it to the Dealer .
My bike is 2017 CVO ultra limited engine is stock, has a High flow air cleaner and fullsac exhaust head pipe and baffles. 2,703 miles
The oil level is now below the dipstick and when I checked the oil level the oil tank was pressurized I have never had that happen before.

My biggest concern is I have heard a lot of the sumping  bikes have had the engine replaced and it sound like others only get the oil pump replaced.  How likely is it that I will need an engine verses just a pump? and how deep do they disassemble to inspect everything?

The dealer is telling me it will be 1 week before they can look at it so I have a lot of time to speculate

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: I think I just joined the sumping club
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »

Yesterday I was cruising up the freeway for 15 minutes and just as my exit came up I started feeling the power falling off,  down shifted and it felt like I down shifted 2-3 gears because of the drag from the engine, down shifted again and same thing, looked in the mirror and saw massive amount of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, came to a stop and the engine died and will not restart. 
Towed it to the Dealer .
My bike is 2017 CVO ultra limited engine is stock, has a High flow air cleaner and fullsac exhaust head pipe and baffles. 2,703 miles
The oil level is now below the dipstick and when I checked the oil level the oil tank was pressurized I have never had that happen before.

My biggest concern is I have heard a lot of the sumping  bikes have had the engine replaced and it sound like others only get the oil pump replaced.  How likely is it that I will need an engine verses just a pump? and how deep do they disassemble to inspect everything?

The dealer is telling me it will be 1 week before they can look at it so I have a lot of time to speculate

When was the bike built? Absolutely sounds like sumping. They will need to take the engine down to the case to check rotational friction. Sounds to me like the engine is toast. You’ll be getting a new engine under the factory warranty unless HD voids your warranty for removing the catalytic converter. Hopefully the missing cat won’t be a factor in voiding your warranty.

I’m on my 3rd engine in my 2017 CVO Limited under warranty due to oil sumping. Hang in there. I know what you’re going through. As we get further into the riding season, i suspect we’ll be seeing many more cases. Read up on SB 1450 so you can get familiarized with the steps the dealership will be using to diagnose your bike.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: I think I just joined the sumping club
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 11:57:50 PM »

Unfortunately I have become an expert on this. Dealer will check crankcase first for oil level which is Harleys "official" method of declaring sump. Next they will drain the fluids and cut open the oil filter to look for debris. If zero metal in filter your motor probably ok though usually there will be some debris and thats where the fun begins.. I would make sure you tell dealer you want to see that fllter if they try and say it was debris clear.
If they find debris which they probably will then they will have to breakdown the motor. Again I would ask to see what they see unless they say they are replacing motor.
I am the least mechanical guy on the planet but after 2 motors sumping in one month I reluctantly now get this game
Alan

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 24 queries.