Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states  (Read 42174 times)

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
Re: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

I have a friend who is a trauma surgeon.  They refer to patients that go down on bikes without protective wear as "pizzas".  I think you get the picture.  In Florida we are not required to wear anything but eye protection.  I wear a DOT approved low profile half helmet, glasses with shatterproof lens, boots over the ankle always, long pants (with chaps if cold), and a weather appropriate jacket.  That said, it IS a personal choice.  Kris Kristofferson said it best; "Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose". I guess this includes your skin, if you so choose.

OWL893

:2vrolijk_21: well said  :drink:

We here in the Great Lake State of Michigan, recently had the "Manditory" helmet law reversed, I choose to wear mine, but it is nice to have the "Choice" :2vrolijk_21:
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »

I ride with gloves and boots, always.  Since the wreck, I've been vigilant about riding in armored pants and an armored jacket.  I rarely use the half helmet anymore, and I won't go lidless again.

That said, there's a marked difference in airflow between the GS/A and the Ultra.  My Arai that worked so well in the heat on the Beemer gets far less air on the Ultra.  Same with the mesh gear or vented gear.  Not sure what I'm going to do when it gets really hot.  I'll either gear up or I won't.  My choice though.
The best you've had is the best you know.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »

I always wear my helmet when I ride drunk.   :drink:

Good idea! I rode with some folks last Saturday on a poker run. Of course every stop was at a bar so by the third stop they were getting sloppy. I don't drink when I'm riding and always wear protective gear, sort of out of place with that bunch. I had a mesh jacket on and full face helmet with gloves and boots. They wore only the minimum required skull buckets, one guy wore sandals and his BSR had on heels, all of them were sunburned and drunk when it was over.  At stop #4 one of the guys drops his bike with his wife on it in the parking lot, to get over his shame he had another beer and a double shot at stop #5. Not my kind of riding fun. the best part of that day was the 30 miles home that I rode solo then the cold one on the deck after the bike was put away.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2013, 01:44:01 PM »

Good idea! I rode with some folks last Saturday on a poker run. Of course every stop was at a bar so by the third stop they were getting sloppy. I don't drink when I'm riding and always wear protective gear, sort of out of place with that bunch. I had a mesh jacket on and full face helmet with gloves and boots. They wore only the minimum required skull buckets, one guy wore sandals and his BSR had on heels, all of them were sunburned and drunk when it was over.  At stop #4 one of the guys drops his bike with his wife on it in the parking lot, to get over his shame he had another beer and a double shot at stop #5. Not my kind of riding fun. the best part of that day was the 30 miles home that I rode solo then the cold one on the deck after the bike was put away.

Smart man...that's one reason I never have participated in local rides like that.  They always tend to go bar hopping, regardless.  I love my beer as well as the next guy, but alcohol and motorcycles don't mix very well.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »

I agree with you whole heartedly, my comment about riding drunk was just an attempt at poor humor.  I made one of those rides you have described. Just once. I don't fault anyone for having a drink but there is always a time and place for it. Not every 30 minutes with two or three beers downed and back on the road.  As you stated in your comment, I was out of place with that bunch too.  That's probably why I always ride alone or with one or two others that have their heads screwed on straight.
Jesus is Lord

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #170 on: June 16, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »

I am a Diabetic. I don't heal well. I ride with Leather chaps,boots,gloves,jacket,reflective vest and DragonKevlar Jeans and helmet always. Real pain in the but leather is cheaper than skin. I love to Ride e even with my medical condition. I had bike since I was 9. Been riding 50 years. Had numerous other bikes and 5 Harley's
Ltank

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »

I must admit, when I was down at Panama City Beach this last week, we took off our helmets when we hit the FL state line and never put them back on until we hit the Alabama stateline coming home. It was so nice riding with just a doo rag... no helmet buffeting even at 80 MPH. Stupid, I know... but man was it FUN! No gloves, either.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Harvey13118

• 2008 FLHTCUSE3

• CVO1: FLTHCUSE3
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2013, 05:12:49 PM »

Usually wear full leather and 3/4 helmet with face shield when traveling. Riding around White Mountains it depended on weather as to which helmet w/faceshield or without. Generally wore jacket as I do around home.

Did have a good chuckle up there. Raining pretty hard. I'm on ultra... helmet face shield rain gear, guy coming at me no helmet, no windshield little teeny goggles, bald head. He had to be getting pelted hard. I do not know how guys do it. I must be getting to be quite a Candy Butt in my years.
Harvey
life VFW, NRA, NYSRiflePistol Org
Veteran US Army

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »

I've started to always wear my leather coat and gloves (as well as boots and chaps).  But recently I got caught in torrential rain and hail.  What hurt the most was the hail bouncing off the road and then I'd ride into it and my shins took a beating. Now that really stings. Hate hail.  I don't have lowers, but would have loved them then.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Rat Patrol

• 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »

Those of us that have had the "opportunity" to try out their gear are very conscious of the value of it. I met a deer one night, he wasn't wearing any gear and he paid the price for it. Even with gear I did my share of bleeding, but grateful that I had it on. Oh, and I was lucky I was on a Yamaha (dime a dozen) sportbike, not the Harley, so I did not have to endure the mental anguish of seeing my baby ruint. :o
International Heat & Frost Insulators
Working Class: The class that built America

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »

I have been known  to drink a beer and ride.....that's the key A beer. Had the same thing happen last year, at the 3rd stop my wife and I left early and made the last 2 stops alone. Still got the after ride comrodery and food.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »

I have been known  to drink a beer and ride.....that's the key A beer. Had the same thing happen last year, at the 3rd stop my wife and I left early and made the last 2 stops alone. Still got the after ride comrodery and food.

You hit the nail on the head...I think most of us can probably handle one or two beers every 3 hours or so when riding, but one or two at every stop, when the stops are 30-45 minutes apart starts getting to the point of impairment, IMO.  I'm not going to say I've never ridden my bike when I was under the influence of whatever, but I was much younger then and indestructible... ::)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE, Ivory and Gold delivered 12/17/11
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
« Reply #177 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32:06 AM »

I like the young and indestructible comment earlier. When I was in high school, I remember riding my '74 Sportster home late one night higher than a kite and watched my speedometer float around in front of me. Even at that age I realized this was a really bad idea, and yes I am living proof we have a God! It's entertaining watching the beer flow in Sturgis every year. I'll have my share but walk around and watch the eye candy before riding back to camp. Love this forum! Where else would I confess my youth?!
'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
Clearview shield 14.5" with vent
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2013, 03:11:47 PM »

I live in South West Fl, 5 months out of the year its a cross between a swamp and a jungle down here with tropical heat, I wear a carbon fiber half helmet, Wayfarer sunglasses, long sleeve white tee shirts, Carhart duck canvas carpenter jeans and Rdewing 6" high steel toe boots.  In the cooler weather i wear my old Vanson Leather A-1 full grain leather, have it for over 25 years, and in winter i switch to Carhart !5oz work jeans.
   The most important piece of gear for me is foam ear plugs, after 40 plus years of riding my hearing isnt what it used to be, i have been wearing the foamy ear plugs for the last ten years, i wont even ride to the cornor store with out earplugs :apple:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Akicita

• Full CVO Member
    • SD

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »

Some of us old farts still wear helmets and are staunch supporters of "boots-gloves-glasses" mentality.  Haven't lost a foot, eyeball, or finger yet, although I have given away a finger or two.  I guess some of us don't need to ride like the recent dorks in New York.  We ride High Dollar motorcycles and aren't posers and/or wannabes.  Some habitsd aren't all that bad to adopt.
Na sloigh as feart san gcruinne A muirn a mire a bhfighnamh; Ni comhnairt bheith ' na bhfeagmhais: Ni h-eibhneas gan Chlainn Domhnall
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.