Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states  (Read 42017 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »

No helmet law in Iowa. I always wear and jeans and boots but most of the summer I ride with a sleeveless t-shirt. Never wear a helmet.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »

When California did not have a helmet law I rode without one, always have worn boots and jeans. Now that I am older I ride with a DOT half helmet even in states without a helmet law. Still enjoy riding helmet free for short rides on back roads.

Just this month I purchased a pair of Diamond Gusset defender jeans with Kevlar.

Have tried full face helmets a couple of times but just can't stand the feeling of being confined.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »

When California did not have a helmet law I rode without one, always have worn boots and jeans. Now that I am older I ride with a DOT half helmet even in states without a helmet law. Still enjoy riding helmet free for short rides on back roads.

Just this month I purchased a pair of Diamond Gusset defender jeans with Kevlar.

Have tried full face helmets a couple of times but just can't stand the feeling of being confined.

What kind of helmet do you ride with?

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »

Mostly always wear a helmet but defend the right to make one's own decision.  I have owned many helmets over the years and could never seem to get one that fit and is comfortable until last year.  Bought a Seer helmet.  Made in the USA (can you believe it) and worn by cops (mostly).  Fits close to the head and has adjustable inserts for custom fit.  It's a half helmet with muffs for speakers.  It is the most comfortable helmet I have owned yet.  No pressure points or itchy head and can wear it all day with no headache.  http://www.superseer.com/
Do it now!

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »

Used to not wear one years ago. But now my flabby skin hurts as it flaps without one!!! Always wear a full face modular.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »

:-\
I have not bothered to read thru about 14 pages on this topic on this subject.  So,  I may or may not be repeating a somewhat similar theory.  Your head weighs around 15-16 pounds as I once was informed.   Your ability to keep your (head) from making contact with the ground/pavement if you go down..........would be very rare and circumstantial.  I've always been known as a hard headed guy,  but I know my head cannot survive a direct smack with the pavement at most any speed.

Thus,  I wear a full 3/4 helmet at all times.  Obviously,  some of you that choose to go without one,  have a much harder head than do I.  Lots of luck with that. :drink:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »

Most people (87%) that have posted here say they most always wear a helmet. Why is it that when you go to one of the big 3 Rallies, 95% of the riders have NO helment on......do most members here not attend????
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE CHARRED STEEL LIGHTENING SILVER
    • CVO2: 2009 FXSTSSE3 COBALT BLUE
« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »

I always wear gloves, boots and jeans. I will occasionally ride with just a t-shirt on very hot days, but I usually have a leather vest on as well. I also always wear a helmet. I have a Biltwell DOT 3/4 but I just bought a Schuberth C3 Pro modular Full face. I haven't tried it out yet, but plan on it being my go to helmet. I do have a novelty polo helmet but I'm planning on retiring it even though it's my favourite helmet.
2019 FLHXSE FM 128, Wood 22X-E, SE 64mm TB, 5.5 inj., D&D Billet Cat, Aim SDR, Legend  Revo-A, 12” F47, SE Vent. Extreme, SR Comp Ramp, Rekluse Slave

2009 FXSTSSE3, V&H PP, Exile open Primary, 14" Carlini, Danny Grey Shorthop 2 Up XL, HPI 51mm w/4.9 Injectors, Power Vision, AV&V Springs and Valves, Kury TC24D Cams, 10.2 Comp

2017 RGS - FM 124, SE 64mm TB 6.3 inj, Feuling 521, S&S Lifters & Oil pump & Cam plate, AIM SDR, F47 12", D&D Billet Cat,Corbin Classic Solo, 21" Aggressor

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2014, 10:34:18 PM »

Unless I am close to HOME where I KNOW the roads, I have a helmet on either a 1/2 or 3/4.
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »

I live in a freedom of choice state and defend the right to not wear a helmet. I have learned over the years that
my head has become more important to me over the years. I wear a helmet. The more you wear one the more comfortable they become.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #205 on: March 03, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »

My helmet has never bothered me since day one.  I feel more comfortable with one on the off.  Makes me a bit more aggressive,,  not crazy,, well,,,,,,,  :D.  The few times I don't have one on,,, that's all I'm thinking about.  Just sayin.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:10 AM »

Most people (87%) that have posted here say they most always wear a helmet. Why is it that when you go to one of the big 3 Rallies, 95% of the riders have NO helment on......do most members here not attend????

Haven't attended the big 3 yet; but have ridden in a few states where helmets are optional, and always wear a helmet. To each his own though.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »

Been to Sturgis, Daytona and Laconia many times and always wear a helmet.

Would never ride without one

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »

It's nice that most of us get to choose. To me part of the ride is the freedom.  :nixweiss:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »

:-\
It would seem from the following list,  a lot of us don't really  "get to choose".  :nixweiss:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/06/state-by-state-guide-to-motorcycle-helmet-laws/index.htm

:oops: Only three states show as having (no helmet law).

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:10:14 PM by moscooter »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.