Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states  (Read 42303 times)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
Re: How many wear helmets and proper attire in non helmet states
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 10:50:59 PM »

In South Carolina, except Myrtle Beach, if you are 18 or over you have the choice of the type of injuries you receive in an accident. Helmets are optional. I used to ride without, but having pushed my luck to the max I decided to ware a helmet. Over the past few years I have worn a helmet every time I ride. I am still guilty of riding in tennis shoes on occasion. ( working on that one. ) Gave up flip flop riding in the 60's. I guess the older I get the more painful injuries are.
After all I'm not 10 foot tall and bullet proof any more. :o
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »

Apparantly, flipflops and shorts are suitable attire for smoking an R1

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »

All the time!  I rarely go for a ride without a helmet and either a First Gear Armored Jacket or a set of Armour from High Velocity.  I'd rather live to ride another day by being properly protected.  When I spent my time working at the H-D shop, I've seen too many people with broken limbs, had to be put back together with pins, or just plain had their skin removed from their bodies unwillingly by a nice and rough patch of blacktop.  This includes my father who has the scars to show how well t-shirts works against a 67mph road rash.  No thanks.  Since I copied a link to the helmet topic, here's High Velocities link:   http://www.highvelocitygear.com/JuggernautBodyArmor.html

...And no I'm not a seller of their product, just a believer of what they are peddling from wearing their product.  FYI - They are super comfortable and the only downside I can see is the chin protection on my full face helmet bumps into the shoulder pad when completely turning your head back for a lane change. 

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 01:02:33 AM »

95 % of the time it's helmet, jacket ,chaps ,jeans, boots. Can think of only 1 or 2 times ever to ride without boots. After T boning Mazda Miata at 50 mph wearing full gear no road rash as Basically think of wiley coyote slamming off a cliff, is how I landed, just a broken arm, finger, and hip fracture. Lucily it was in March and not August as I sometimes forgo the leather when real hot.
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »

95 % of the time it's helmet, jacket ,chaps ,jeans, boots. Can think of only 1 or 2 times ever to ride without boots. After T boning Mazda Miata at 50 mph wearing full gear no road rash as Basically think of wiley coyote slamming off a cliff, is how I landed, just a broken arm, finger, and hip fracture. Lucily it was in March and not August as I sometimes forgo the leather when real hot.
  In our ride reports and pictures of nor cal /so cal reports someone will ask from time to time "how come you guys all leathered up the weather looks great" These two prior posts says it well--AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2012, 09:35:23 PM »

i wear a helmet and boots at all times

but i dont wear a jacket when its hot

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »

I live in Florida and there is no helmet law..  But I won't ride without one..  I like my head way too much not to protect it.  I always wear jeans and shoes..   no boots any longer.

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 10:50:25 PM »

Only times I wear a helmet is going on and off base (Required) and when traveling with my wife.  Never know when you will cross over state lines into a state requiring helmets
Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2012, 08:44:59 AM »

I have always worn "full" motorcycle clothing when riding my scooter and after my unfortunate accident back in June, I will continue to ride with full gear.  Every piece of clothing/gear that the ER doctor's peeled off my body I could hear them saying "well, this saved her life".   :angel:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »

When I was young and invincable....I didn't wear a helmet.  After doing a face plant into a van and shattered jaw, I now wear a modular and have always wore levis and boots.  Protect my feet but not my head :nixweiss:

In Sturgis a few years ago, we left the B&B (yea, we were roughing it) that we were staying at to go into town.  We both felt very vulnerable and turned around to go get our helmets.....never tried to ride without one since.  I am paying attention to God's wake up call. ;D

Levis and boots have always been standard for me.....wether I'm riding or not.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »

No helmet law here.... but gear in this tropical climate is always an option.

Bees in helmets.... yup.. with the visor open just one click I had 2 find thier way in once.... stung on the forehead, ear, neck over the years... fortunately no allergies.

For my commutes to work, classes , or other things that put into the pack with inattentive cagers, gear is a must... Boots, Jeans, Jacket with body armor, gloves, normally a 1/2 helmet.

If the weather is more inclement, a modular helmet works in addition to all the above.

Now... on a casual weekend or night ride (no deer or other large game except an occasional feral mountain pig) usually minimal gear (unless its really cold ~ 65 degrees or below) yeah.. cold is relative here

There were three motorcycle crashes here last week... one fatal, in morning traffic... he had all his gear on.

Bottom line is sometimes gear helps, sometimes it doesnt...all we can do is be prepared...

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »

The whole road rash thing can be almost as bad as having your head busted open.  I don't know if anyone here has ever been burned badly, but road rash is virtually the same thing, only they have to pick gravel and chit out of the meat before they scrub it down and bandage it up.  My neck was serverly burned in a soldering accident on a commercial refrigeration unit, and let me tell you, the pain is something you don't want to experience, nor the visits to the doctor to have the wounds debreeded (I think that's the term), where they remove the bandage and then scrub the wound with a sponge and phisohex.  That's to let it heal from the inside out, rather than scabbing over and causing big scars.  It works, but laying on a table having that done is not something I ever want to go through again.  So, I wear full gear, 98% of the time...only when it's 98 degrees and 90% humidity might I take the jacket off when around town.  The new mesh jackets with armour are really not too bad as long as you're moving a little.

Three things are likely to get injured in a bike wreck:  Head, feet, and hands.  I have seen 4 or 5 bike wrecks in my lifetime, and in at least three of them the person was wearing tennis shoes, which came off immediately after they hit the pavement.  Their feet were not pretty to look at.  And that was just the skin/meat ground off them, much less the broken bones.  And there are a lot of small bones in your feet to get broken, and they take a while to heal.  Good boots and wicking socks are a good idea...

In the early 70's I didn't worry about that kind of stuff when riding a death trap chopper.  Nowadays I'd just as soon be around as long as possible.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »

The whole road rash thing can be almost as bad as having your head busted open.  I wear full gear, 98% of the time...only when it's 98 degrees and 90% humidity might I take the jacket off when around town.  The new mesh jackets with armour are really not too bad as long as you're moving a little.

Three things are likely to get injured in a bike wreck:  Head, feet, and hands.  I have seen 4 or 5 bike wrecks in my lifetime, and in at least three of them the person was wearing tennis shoes, which came off immediately after they hit the pavement.  Their feet were not pretty to look at.  And that was just the skin/meat ground off them, much less the broken bones.  And there are a lot of small bones in your feet to get broken, and they take a while to heal.  Good boots and wicking socks are a good idea...

In the early 70's I didn't worry about that kind of stuff when riding a death trap chopper.  Nowadays I'd just as soon be around as long as possible.
So true, so true.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »

Just read all the comments.  It seems there are two schools of thought, but we're all personally responsible for what happens if we're not prepared for the worst.  I've ridden without a helmet in the past.  When I lived in Hawaii it was no big deal to jump on the chopper and run around the island in a T-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes.  Burned my leg once, so it convinced be to wear jeans at all times.  Over the years, I too have become more cautious.

Now, I wear full gear in all kinds of weather, but will strip down to a vest on the topside when it gets hot.  When it is over 90dg I wear a cool vest under a mesh jacket.  As long as you're moving it's as if you're in a swamp cooler.  Nice. 

I was a medic at Tripler Army Medical Center on Oahu in 1974.  We went on an Ambulance call one night to a MC accident.  The rider was in critical condition.  One of the guys walked over to pick up what looked like his tennis shoe and fount it still had his foot in it.  After that night I always wore boots. 

I also believe it should be the individual's right to decide what works for them.  Having the guberment dictate how and what we do with our lives just irritates me to no end.  Their intrusion into our lives is...okay, I'll shut up. 

But one more thing:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

And I agree.   They're not hired to protect us from ourselves.  Although some may need it, I don't.

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2012, 04:13:27 PM »

Just read all the comments.  It seems there are two schools of thought, but we're all personally responsible for what happens if we're not prepared for the worst.  I've ridden without a helmet in the past.  When I lived in Hawaii it was no big deal to jump on the chopper and run around the island in a T-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes.  Burned my leg once, so it convinced be to wear jeans at all times.  Over the years, I too have become more cautious.

Now, I wear full gear in all kinds of weather, but will strip down to a vest on the topside when it gets hot.  When it is over 90dg I wear a cool vest under a mesh jacket.  As long as you're moving it's as if you're in a swamp cooler.  Nice. 

I was a medic at Tripler Army Medical Center on Oahu in 1974.  We went on an Ambulance call one night to a MC accident.  The rider was in critical condition.  One of the guys walked over to pick up what looked like his tennis shoe and fount it still had his foot in it.  After that night I always wore boots. 

I also believe it should be the individual's right to decide what works for them.  Having the guberment dictate how and what we do with our lives just irritates me to no end.  Their intrusion into our lives is...okay, I'll shut up. 

But one more thing:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

And I agree.   They're not hired to protect us from ourselves.  Although some may need it, I don't.

Well said.... the right to choose to protect yourself..... like wearing a condom.. you know there is risk..... do chose protection or heightened pleasure? (yes, it does feel better with it off)

Maybe I'm getting older, a little wiser, and the body does take longer to heal... so wearing gear is a good idea.... do I always follow my own advice?... no

I have been solicited by the local MSF instructor who is looking for skilled riders to help teach the classes.. my balk is having to practice what I preach... all the time. Maybe its time to pass the torch.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.