Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 660 Issue Update  (Read 4276 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
660 Issue Update
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »

My RT 660 started doing weird stuff a few weeks ago...occasionally Alvin and the Chipmunks got in there and would talk to you, the voice prompts would only work at the initial start of the route, and would sometimes interrupt as if it were making an attempt to give a voice prompt, but would interrupt and not say chit, but hold the radio as if it were still talking,  and occasionally there was a high pitched squeal through the headset.  So, for one thing I got the NIM replaced under warranty with the newest version (A, I think).  Second, I sent the unit back to Garmin, and they sent me a replacement.  Went for a ride today and all is well thus far.  But I did notice one thing different:  when giving a voice prompt now, it says the word "dot" at the end of the command.  For example:  Turn right in .5 miles. Dot.  I have not heard this previously, so assume it might be some kind of firmware update?   :nixweiss:  My train of though is that perhaps the "dot" lets the NIM know, in no uncertain terms, that this particular voice prompt is done, so return to previously scheduled programming (XM, Ipod, FM, etc).

Has anyone else noticed this?  It's working now, that's the main thing.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 660 Issue Update
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »

Sounds like the stupid thing is reading a line of text rather than generating a string.  When it sees the period at the end of the sentence she thinks it's a dot.  Stupid GPS.  Gotta love technology :drink: .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:17:44 PM »

Garmin's response to me on the HD Road Tech 660 was miserable and worse than miserable.  If you continue to experience problems Terry suggest swapping it out for a new one at the dealer.  Garmin sent me quite a few "overhauled" units that were crap. The dealer gave me a new one, no problems since.

Never heard mine say Dot.  Zumo Bitch Jill has a gal pal maybe?   :huepfenlol2: :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »

I have not had any issues with the 660 unit, but I upgraded the software and now it also says the "dot" after promts, but it's not all the time. 

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »

Garmin's response to me on the HD Road Tech 660 was miserable and worse than miserable.  If you continue to experience problems Terry suggest swapping it out for a new one at the dealer.  Garmin sent me quite a few "overhauled" units that were crap. The dealer gave me a new one, no problems since.

Never heard mine say Dot.  Zumo Bitch Jill has a gal pal maybe?   :huepfenlol2: :nixweiss:

You mean that Jill and Dot are doing things in my Zumo and not at least letting me listen?  That sucks...

One other thing I noticed that I didn't notice before...when it gives a turn prompt .5 miles ahead for example (on the interstate), it shows an actual photograph of the exit with the purple track line in the appropriate turn lane.  Whut will they think of next?

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »

You mean that Jill and Dot are doing things in my Zumo and not at least letting me listen?  That sucks...

One other thing I noticed that I didn't notice before...when it gives a turn prompt .5 miles ahead for example (on the interstate), it shows an actual photograph of the exit with the purple track line in the appropriate turn lane.  Whut will they think of next?

Maybe when they come out with Software Version 6.9 we will get video & audio of Jill & Dot.    :cucumber:

That turn lane feature is very cool. Lets you know exactly what lane to merge to. 

Overall like the 660 ok now.  Wish the MoCo would figure out a way to really integrate this into the fairing (a nice pop out GPS feature?).  They waste a LOT of real estate, gauge wise as well as positioning, on the current fairings.  If they modernized the gauges, used a multi function LCD display (nothing like the current idiotic H/K radio crap screen), they would have enough room for 6 x 9 fairing speakers plus that LCD display that might actually be useful instead of junk like an air temp gauge for fairing air temp & gas gauges that are near worthless crap, at best.  Of course HD could do a lot of things, but this fairing one is so damn dated it is just stupid at this point, considering what could be done, for probably even less money than they are spending now.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »

That turn lane feature is very cool. Lets you know exactly what lane to merge to. 

Nuts.  Now I'm going to have to do the update even if it does meaning gaining Dot until the fix the bug.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »

Nuts.  Now I'm going to have to do the update even if it does meaning gaining Dot until the fix the bug.

I think my doc has a shot that will prevent that.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »

I think my doc has a shot that will prevent that.

Your Doc has a dot shot?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »

It has had that all the time Terry.  Just more and more exits are available to be shown.  I first saw that a couple years ago when I was travelling near Philly.  Now I notice that I see it much more frequently.  Of course I do try to avoid the interstates when I can but it is nice to have when going through a metro area you are not familiar with.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »

It has had that all the time Terry.  Just more and more exits are available to be shown.  I first saw that a couple years ago when I was travelling near Philly.  Now I notice that I see it much more frequently.  Of course I do try to avoid the interstates when I can but it is nice to have when going through a metro area you are not familiar with.

Yea, you're right there, Jerry.  I guess mine was just not working right from the get-go, or was not traveling in places where they had inserted the graphic in the software.  Nice little feature though.   :2vrolijk_21:

Oh, BTW Jerry...got the manuals.  Thanks a bunch!!

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 10:25:20 AM »

Your Doc has a dot shot?

If Dot went to my Doc to get a shot & my Doc shot Dot after my Doc gave Dot a shot, that would be redundant.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »

WTF... I did a software up grade last week too, and now mine also says DOT at the end of the prompt !!!  Is there a fix?  "DH"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »

WTF... I did a software up grade last week too, and now mine also says DOT at the end of the prompt !!!  Is there a fix?  "DH"

Sure.  The next software update :oops: .

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »

OK I just got off the phone with Garmin CS there is a know issue with JILL saying DOT!!
     To stop Jill from saying Dot you have to do JACK!!   CS said their software fix should be available in a couple of weeks!           "DH"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 24 queries.