Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sub woofers  (Read 937 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Sub woofers
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:29:23 AM »

I'm wondering if it's my bike, or just me, but does anyone else think the bass on the 2012 CVO SG's sound system sucks?  I have the bass turned up to 10, but at 70 mph, it sounds like those portable transistor radios we used as kids.  Even when parked with the engine off, the bass is weak.

Has anyone had any experience using subwoofers on touring bikes?  There are two I've found available for FLHs.  One is the Woofpak by Hell's Foundry, which goes inside the Tour Pak.  The other is the Rev 7" Woofer by Hogtunes.  It goes into the lower fairings, which is fine for me, because the speakers Harley put there are as worthless as tits on a boar.

Has anyone here had any experience or recommendations for adding bass to the stock sound system?  I don't want to shake the windows out of cars, just want to be able to hear a little bass while riding,  and don't want to spend thousands on a completely new sound system.

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2 Nebula Yellow / Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
Re: Sub woofers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »

As a head banger and someone that has always had sub woofers as part of his stereo systems in his vehicles, I too am a little disappointed with the 400W system in my SG.  Seems to have plenty of power, just not able to use all of it without distortion, and not a whole lot of bass.  Which is suprising considing the saddle bags should make great speaker boxes for bass.  I believe good bass should be felt, and that is just not possible with this system.  :(

I think a sub woofer under the seat would help out a lot.  ;D  Of course I doubt there is any room for or way to put one under there.

And since I do not like the looks of the lowers and plan on removing them and do not have a tour pak, the 2 available options you listed for sub woofers do not seem viable for me, so I think I am stuck with the wimpy bass.  >:(

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

Only a suggestion I found but sure do take up some room.
http://www.streetstardesigns.com/products.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:36:42 PM by Big Dog »
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »

I think the only way to get thumping bass is to use a system in the saddlebag - maybe it could be made removable for when gear space is needed?  Bass is non-directional (doesn't have to be pointed at you at 80mph to hear).  Be nice if you could put a bass tube up in the fairing - probably shake the chit out of the electronics up there.

Taking a look at the Hogtunes information - it clearly states that the lower fairing speakers are full range speakers, and not subwoofers - maybe they have better dynamic range, frequency performance than the stock harley ones, but I can't imagine they would give you much additional thump.

One thing they state is the you need to have ACC set to 3 bars.  My system really came alive once I flipped this on after my first ride with the new stereo.

The lower fairing ones are marketed as being there to combat road noise - midrange speakers.  I'd imagine a good high end speaker would improve any of the stock speakers.

I am looking forward to suggestions, and links to other threads, as I am sure this has been discussed before.  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:50:28 PM by Possum »
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 06:29:36 PM »

Just for sheiss and giggles, I rode with the fade set 100% to the rear speakers.  Unless the amp for the rear speakers is shot, those have to be the sh1ttiest speakers I've ever heard!  I'm taking it to my dealer next week to see if it's actually working properly.   >:(

Possum, what do you mean by setting the ACC to 3?  Could you enlighten us?  I hope it's some kind of equalization, bass boost, or amplifier ON switch...

NorEaster, I feel your pain, brother.  We headbangers are a dying breed.  Having high standards in music and sound reproduction is a real curse   ;D.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »

I think he meant AVC, or automatic volume control.  That's the setting that automatically increases volume with increased road speed.  Experiment with it until you find a setting that allows you to keep the volume reasonable sitting still but still listenable at highway speeds.  Your owner manual should explain it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »

One of the options for the stereo is adjust the volume up and down depending on the speed of the bike.  Most cars have this today.  As you scroll through fade, bass, treble, etc..... I think its the last option that says AVC.  This is auto volume control.  Once you turn this on - it goes up to 3 bars - you will notice a huge volume and loudness level increase to the stereo.  When you slow down at a signal, it will turn down the volume, when you speed back up it will crank it up.  I don't worry about hearing sound from the back speakers, but I am sure they knock more of the road noise down too - I know my little lady likes the speakers back there. 

Give it a shot - I thought the stereo was so so at cruising speed, until I turned this on.  Most of our highways are 65-75MPH, so my cruising speed is usually around 80 on the highways.   Since it's cooler, I have had no problem hearing with the full face helmet, and ear plugs in. 

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:55:57 PM by Possum »
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.