Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wreckage parts  (Read 3536 times)

rjackson229

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO
Wreckage parts
« on: November 19, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »

I have the blaze orange 2014 CVO Breakout.  I did a number and ran into the back of a minvan going 10mph.  Barely any damage as I took most of the hit and it just kind of dropped on one side. So you know how these things go the dealership will suck every penny out of the insurance company. There is a small chip of just clear coat gone out of the gas tank.

The Harley dealership says that I cannot keep the gas tank if it is being replaced. Is this common practice for Harley to retain their signature parts like the gas tank? 

I don't see any reason why they would want it.  Unless I get in another accident and charge me for another gas tank. That tank is still good, why wouldn't I want to keep a $2,000 part. 

Anyone else have this problem or heard of Harley doing this?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Wreckage parts
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »

When I have had dmg and dealt through my insurance  I was able to keep every damaged part

Tanks, fender, fairings, saddle bags, tour oak

Still have the pieces - never had insurance company ask for the dmg’d parts back. 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »

I have the blaze orange 2014 CVO Breakout.  I did a number and ran into the back of a minvan going 10mph.  Barely any damage as I took most of the hit and it just kind of dropped on one side. So you know how these things go the dealership will suck every penny out of the insurance company. There is a small chip of just clear coat gone out of the gas tank.

The Harley dealership says that I cannot keep the gas tank if it is being replaced. Is this common practice for Harley to retain their signature parts like the gas tank? 

I don't see any reason why they would want it.  Unless I get in another accident and charge me for another gas tank. That tank is still good, why wouldn't I want to keep a $2,000 part. 

Anyone else have this problem or heard of Harley doing this?
Ask them if they are going to give you the new tank for free... if they say no tell them your lawyer will be contacting them. You paid for that tank once when you purchased the bike (and didn't sign anything stating you would have to return damaged parts to get new ones to replace them), and you will be paying for the new one. This is BS the MoCo & dealerships try to do but I don't see how in the world it can be legal. :soapbox:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 06:47:11 PM »

well, technically, it isn't 'your' fuel tank.  the insurance company is paying for it.  ask them if they want it back.  if they don't care, then i'd be raising a stink with hd.

i just had to replace the front fender on my cvo.  i had to provide the vin number to purchase the fender, but they aren't asking for the old one back.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »

Once again we have a Harley dealership blowing smoke up someone's posterior, either due to ignorance or actual malice.  IF Harley replaces a part under warranty, you do not get to keep the old part.  If you or your insurance company buy a new part Harley has absolutely zero legal claim to the old part, period.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »

Talk with the Insurance Company adjustor, not an independent appraiser, not the repair shop, the actual adjustor who is employed by the Insurance company. He, or she, is the actual person who issues payment. He has the authority to control what happens to the parts as his position is the issuer of payment. He is controlled by his companies rules, but most times as long as he has a receipt for the REPLACEMENT part, which means it was actually installed, then he does not object to the OWNER retaining the part.
I always felt if the owner wanted it, then OK. But if the shop attempted to retain the parts I would go by and pick them up, call the owner and assure they didn't want them. If the owner didn't want them, and most don't, then went into the training room for inspection by new hires and eventually destroyed or sent to Copart if enough value was possible to be sold as salvage. I have moved high end parts from repairable bikes to Copart or IAA and had them sold. The Insurance company has the right, as stated in your policy, to attempt to recoup its loss and that includes selling "salvage" items.

Frank FX

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Prostreet Breakout
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »

I had the same issue a few years ago. 3 dealers wanted the painted parts. I explained its not warranty but they wouldn't budge. The last dealer had no problem returning MY parts so the got the job.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »

They probably want to sell it on eBay.   Just take a look on there.  There are all kinds of parts that appear to be collision replacements.   You are interrupting their side revenue stream!

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 08:06:13 PM »

If the part is VIN restricted, then yes, Harley requires the return of the old part in order to buy a replacement. Just like the 3D bar and shield logo on the new gas tanks. Try ordering a new gas tank from another dealer without mentioning an insurance clain and see what they say.it usually says in the parts catalogues if it is VIN restricted.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

rjackson229

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »

Update:

I talked with another dealership and was told that yes the gas tank is a VIN Restricted part.  When I called I didn't even mention a problem just that I would like to buy a new tank and they told me it was VIN restricted. 

The parts guy I talked to said that he didn't see anything on his computer screen about me having to turn in an old one but that since it is a VIN restricted part I must verify that I own the current part/CVO bike before he could order a new one.

If anyone was curious I was quoted for the hard candy orange 2014 breakout CVO tank - $1,943.00 + $327.00 (3 hours labor)

So, very politely I will be demanding to keep my parts.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »

If the part is VIN restricted, then yes, Harley requires the return of the old part in order to buy a replacement. Just like the 3D bar and shield logo on the new gas tanks. Try ordering a new gas tank from another dealer without mentioning an insurance clain and see what they say.it usually says in the parts catalogues if it is VIN restricted.

Harley requires the VIN of the CVO you're ordering the part for, but they cannot legally require you send them your old part.  That only applies to warranty repairs.  The old tank is your property, bought and paid for, and if they want it they will have to pay you for it.

Btw, how would you go about sending back the logo that fell off due to their poor workmanship, or that someone stole?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 10:24:15 PM »

If it's just a chip in the clear coat I'd be looking for a good quality shop to repair it!

rjackson229

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 05:06:42 PM »

1/3/2019 - I received all the parts in a couple boxes.  Every little thing that came off the bike was given back.  I am thinking for those who don't argue or complain they take all those old parts and resell them on the side.  I can imagine a few parts here and there is an extra paycheck for a mechanic.  They pulled some other sales tricks before I was out the door, lol but that's any dealership really.

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.