Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Helmet Opinions  (Read 3565 times)

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
New Helmet Opinions
« on: April 05, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »

Thinking of replacing current helmet and looking at Bell, Schuberth mainly but others also.  Do not need the Bluetooth or Sena as just happy with being plugged into bike.  The Schuberth comes with speakers already installed and wondering if anyone has an idea to use these and using the cord to connect to the bike.  Another option might be to remove the installed speakers and replace with JM or some other brand.  This is probably like asking about the best oil or suspension upgrades but curious about others opinions. 

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: New Helmet Opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 06:18:58 PM »

Tell us about what you have now so we know what you're used to...

I have a Klim carbon modular with J&M headset that I like but there are may brands....

I notice there are several helmet threads, below....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:22:07 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:16:48 PM »

I have been using the AGV carbon sportmodular for about a year and a half and love it. Last june went over the handlebars at around 35 MPH hitting head first and didnt even have a headache that night so definitely bought another. Also very comfortable for me even with the Iasus speakers installed. Crazy light 
Alan

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 05:10:27 PM »

I have a Klim carbon modular with J&M headset that I like but there are may brands....

+1 on the Klim carbon modular.  Great helmet and 14oz lighter that my Nolan104.  I put EdSets in it and to me they are clearer than the J&M in my Nolan. 

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »

Right now have a Bell Star and also an Arai that switch back and forth. For the speakers and mic just have the HD that came with the purchase of the motorcycle. Have read good things about the JM though. Like the Bell for their face shield that darkens when outside so do not need to use sunglasses inside the helmet.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 12:13:43 PM »

i have a lazer modular helmet.  it has the photochromatic shield as well.  it's expensive to replace, but it sure is nice.  don't have to worry about sunglasses and then changing to night glasses if necessary.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:29:39 AM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 07:53:26 PM »

I have 3 Arai full face helmets and 1 Arai open face 3/4 helmet.  I love them all.  I have tried other brands over the years and never found one with better fit and finish plus comfort. Arai makes both different size and shape of outer shell.  Most companies make on size shell (XS-2XL) and only make the inside to fit.  The biggest thing, in MHO, is try it on before you buy.  No ones head is the same.  Safety and comfort are so important when it comes to a helmet.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:16:30 AM by Landshark »

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »

If possible for you I would try a few on before I made a decision. Might be a hard right now with the virus stuff, but you will find that different helmets sure have different shapes and sizes. I ended up going with the Scorpion. It may not be at the upper end of helmets but it fits and one that doesn't fit right will probably get left laying on the work bench
Most great stores start with a bad decision

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 06:44:16 AM »

Do you have a pix of how that headset is mounted? We're do for new helmets and I'm interested in these. We currently have the Nolan 104 with their headsets but have had to replace one of those pricey units and now the other one is being stupid. I also noticed on Klims' website while looking at the matte finish white that it appears to be two different helmets within that color lineup.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 08:52:54 PM »

I have 3 Arai full face helmets and 1 Arai open face 3/4 helmet.  I love them all.  I have tried other brands over the years and never found one with better fit and finish plus comfort. Arai makes both different size and shape of outer shell.  Most companies make on size shell (XS-2XL) and only make the inside to fit.  The biggest think, in MHO, is try it on before you buy.  No ones head is the same.  Safety and comfort are so important when it comes to a helmet.  Good luck!

I agree, Arai has the most comfortable interior of any helmet. However, years ago when Arai stopped making their normal classic 3/4 helmet, I got the next best thing, the Shoei RJ Platinum. It's about as close as I could find as the old Arai.
The latest Arai Classic V 3/4 helmet may have the similar name, but it's just a cheap imitation of their original.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.