Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: riding and speeding  (Read 5567 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: riding and speeding
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 02:37:03 PM »

Don, I have a similar story.  I bought my '76 FLH Shovelhead from a good friend and it was my first bike after a dry spell.  Actually it was my first truly road worthy Harley.  He had upgraded to an '03 CVO Deuce and loved it.  We were coming back from IL, just the two of us and on the way across on the ferry we decided to swap bikes so he could get the feel of his old FLH rejuvenated so to speak.  When we left the landing ramp he took off and I followed.  I had passed him and we were coming to the first stop sign.  I ran up quite quickly and broke hard.  I looked behind me and he was coming on strong, but didn't seem to be slowing down much.  He blew right through the stop sign and finally slowed to a stop.  The brakes on the Deuce were very good, but the brakes on the FLH were only as good as they were new.... which meant they couldn't stop you from 20 mph in 20 feet.

He as shaken up a bit and felt lucky that there wasn't any traffic ahead of us.  I could lock up the FLH brakes, but I knew exactly how hard to pull and press to get the beast to slow down.  Oh what technology has done for us and our toys!

Kind of like what it would be for those of us old enough to remember driving on bias ply tires.  Then the change to glass belts and on to radials....

Still remember vividly the day I took a set of worn out (and bought used) set of bias ply tires off my old 66 El Camino and put on a moderately decent set of used Michelin radials had picked up the junk yard the day before.  Holy chit what a difference!.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 01:10:52 AM »

Kind of like what it would be for those of us old enough to remember driving on bias ply tires. 

Or drum brakes operated by a cable or lever.  Yes, the "nostalgia" is always nice to look back on, but I'll stick with what I have now.  And being a 2006 CVO Ultra, I know it's archaic compared to what is out there today.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 08:37:01 AM »

Trying to beat the rain home from Virginia I rode 90 most of the way. Highway with lite trafic. Troopers just let me pass.  but  I like to ride the curves more than seeing over 100 mph.

I have done long stretches of 90 or a bit more out west.  Normally happy at 80 on the interstate.  I too prefer the curves to over 100 mph.

That said, I do like to run up to 100 real quick and then back down to more reasonable speeds.

Easy to go fast in a straight line.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 09:09:52 AM »

Usually on a new bike, I like to see what it will do, at least once.  Ok, maybe twice.  My current bike has a speed limiter.  S'ok. I find a remote stretch of road - usually check the area by riding it first & then return to air it out.  Am less inclined to ride at those speeds for distances because when bad happens, it happens very fast over 100 mph.  Ride @ 80 for stretches?  Sure, especially out west in some states where 75 is the posted speed. The older I get the less I go real fast, because I have been lucky & blessed to have lived through other times when going fast could have ended badly, but did not.  Other riding buds have been less fortunate, and that has made a difference.  Younger days - 1 wheel - very fast riding - sure. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 06:30:47 PM »

I used to ride pan heads with no front brake, lol, and some times the grease would get on the back brake from chain and hub, never thought we needed much brakes  :huepfenlol2:

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 06:41:23 PM »

I get over a 100 on more occasions then I really should. Traffic here can be a bear and sometimes on the Loops and Interstate it takes that and more to be able to make a needed lane change. My 13 is already older in the tech department, but it is the best Harley I have ever owned. Granted I did completely rework the engine and it runs really well, for me...plus the brakes are great.

All that said I realize I am becoming more and more the limiting factor. A 100 on the newer bikes that are well maintained isn't all that much, from 80 to 100 when you hit that concrete I don't even think you will notice the speed difference. 

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 10:27:24 PM »

I used to ride pan heads with no front brake, lol, and some times the grease would get on the back brake from chain and hub, never thought we needed much brakes  :huepfenlol2:

I can relate to that, but back then there wasn't as much traffic as now!  I still like to twist it, but just don't as much as before.  However, when me and Unbalanced get together, I'll twist it till that D&D Borzilla changes tunes.....and been known to blow it apart as opposed to lettin' off.  I guess I'll retire the first loser on a Twin-Cam, cause I'm gonna' get me a Trike no later than next year.  Time to slow down a little!  Lol.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »

I can relate to that, but back then there wasn't as much traffic as now!  I still like to twist it, but just don't as much as before.  However, when me and Unbalanced get together, I'll twist it till that D&D Borzilla changes tunes.....and been known to blow it apart as opposed to lettin' off.  I guess I'll retire the first loser on a Twin-Cam, cause I'm gonna' get me a Trike no later than next year.  Time to slow down a little!  Lol.  Later--HUBBARD
  I here ya , I need to slow up some ,ever time I ride I hit 3 digits, got  to here that borzilla :bananarock:i try to stay under 120 in a fifty  :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:13:25 PM by laylonlor »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2021, 08:45:55 AM »

I here ya , I need to slow up some ,ever time I ride I hit 3 digits, got  to here that borzilla :bananarock:i try to stay under 120 in a fifty  :huepfenlol2:

Yep.....it does "beller", especially around the 6K mark!!!!  Music to my ears!!!!  Twist it!!!!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2021, 02:04:33 PM »

Yep.....it does "beller", especially around the 6K mark!!!!  Music to my ears!!!!  Twist it!!!!  Later--HUBBARD

You can still hear?  :huepfenlol2:

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 04:13:21 AM »

I grew up on cafe racers in the 70’s and 80’s. 100 mph would be 3 rd gear, just saying! Don’t really push a Harley Davidson tourer to see how fast it would go. I do ride fast both in the twisties and the highways, typically 85 to 90 if I’m riding to cover distance on the interstate. But that seems like no big deal as those of you that do ride long distance can attest. On any trip, I can be going 85 mph and car after car will pass me going 10 to 15 mph faster than me, lol!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 04:18:46 AM »

"Don't really push a Harley Davidson tourer to see how fast it would go. I do ride fast both in the twisties and the highways, typically 85 to 90 if I’m riding to cover distance on the interstate. But that seems like no big deal as those of you that do ride long distance can attest. On any trip, I can be going 85 mph and car after car will pass me going 10 to 15 mph faster than me, lol!"

Exactly, my view on this topic.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 07:05:27 AM »

You can still hear?  :huepfenlol2:

"Huh?  What'd you say?  Do what now?  Can't hear a phuckin' thing you're sayin'!!!"  You nailed it, 2Lane!!!  Can't hear myself fart!!!  LMAO!!!  Later--HUBBARD

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »

I just like to cruise and ride in a safe and sane manner.  :bananarock:

110Mofo

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2021, 12:20:18 PM »

I just like to cruise and ride in a safe and sane manner.  :bananarock:

RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.