Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Non standard fuels  (Read 4237 times)

sailordb

• Ride hard-live free
Re: Non standard fuels
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 04:54:27 PM »

Having served as a Navy Air Squardon Line maintance Officer, and if my memory serves me correctly: 80 octane is red (what most civilian small planes use) 90-110 is brown, 110-117 is green, 120-135 is blue and 115-145 is purple.

I once put some purple in a YDS-5 Yamaha- 2 stroke. Changed piston that afternoon.
If you ain't having fun you're in the wrong place.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 05:08:44 PM »

Having served as a Navy Air Squardon Line maintance Officer, and if my memory serves me correctly: 80 octane is red (what most civilian small planes use) 90-110 is brown, 110-117 is green, 120-135 is blue and 115-145 is purple.

I once put some purple in a YDS-5 Yamaha- 2 stroke. Changed piston that afternoon.

But at most general aviation airports anymore all the ratings aren't available.  It's pretty much just 100/130 (100 lean and 130 rich) and 100LL with the LL being "low lead."  Lead?  Yeap, that's right.  Aviation fuel is still leaded.   Along with the differences in derived octane levels AvGas is leaded for a lower volatility mixture and for a much lesser tendency to evaporation (which is important at altitude with lower atmospheric pressures).

That doesn't mean that small plane engine won't run on pump gas.  A lot of them do; both legally and illegally.  To do it legally they used to have to apply for an STC (special type certificate) which was a document to keep in the plane's logbook that which proved the FAA said it was ok to use pump gas in your aircraft.  I honestly don't know if it's so commonplace for small aircraft anymore that the STC is no longer required.  Given the FAA's penchant for ratings and certifications I'd doubt it.  But wouldn't be totally surprised either way.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »

I run the Cam2 110 and Spectro synthetic 2 stroke oil in the Gas Gas!

Makes it sing a new song!

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 05:46:49 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, sailordb,
 The Blue Fuel I use is the same fuel the Dirt Trackers use in their Late Models.  I was told by the Local Distributor is was 112-114 Octane.  Aviation Fuel may be different, but then again, what the Hell do I know?  I just like the smelllllll!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 11:34:52 PM »

Sailor DB
The 110 low lead that I put in my plane is blue. No doubt about it. It's light blue, but blue none the less. And yes it does smell really good. A real clean smell. Almost an alcohol type smell. On planes that have leaky check valves it leaves distinctive blue stains.
MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 11:37:44 PM »

While I was writing that last reply I got to thinking about the best internal combustion smell that I have ever smelled, castrol R exhaust from my old RM370 Suzuki motocrosser, man that brings back some good memories.
MObe
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.