Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Barnett Clutches---A Slight Ooopsie  (Read 19948 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Barnett Clutches---A Slight Ooopsie
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »

Well chit, you don't think about traffic and obstacles in your garage, especially when you're holding the clutch!  I'm just glad that there was no damage!

All kidding aside it was way too close.  We (me and the bikes) stopped with my right know between the crash bars of each with no room to spare and the rear of the fender inches from the other bike.  In the end nothing bad actually happened though.  No damage and hopefully nothing that can't be fixed for the time it will take to pull the outer primary one more time and buy a quart of fluid.  Compared to the alternatives in this case I'll gladly smile and keep on riding.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »

Now that all's well that ends well, I hope you don't mind hearing that I had to chuckle at the visual of you performing the Evel Knievel/cowboy walk with a warm trickle going down your leg...

That being said, it sure seems much more common than not to question anything and everything these days.  No longer can you rely on suppliers of ANYTHING to be competent, correct and complete.

Don't feel at all bad Scott.  Fifteen minutes later I was chuckling at the same thing.  But it took a good fifteen minutes for me to get there.  Hell, I think it took me a solid minute before I chose to actually step off the bike.

All that being said; I think I'd rather do that ride once more than deal with the DMV......

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 03:47:30 PM »

Don - I've had a Barnett Scorpion clutch in my SEEG2 for almost two years.  The clutch was doing great 'til for some stupid azz reason I filled the hole with Amsoil.  About twenty miles later, I experienced the same thing as you.  I guess in my case it took a while for the synthetic to absorb in the plates.  Replaced discs for about $150.  PJ

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »

All that being said; I think I'd rather do that ride once more than deal with the DMV
......  :2vrolijk_21:

Amen brother!!!!
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 04:42:14 PM »

Really synthetic isn't really needed in the primary anyway, probably over kill. Oil in the primary is doing very little lubrication, mostly heat dissipation, from the clutch.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 06:33:49 PM »

Don,

I have a Rivera Pro clutch and they specify the use of Dextron III ATF in the primary.  I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF which meets all spec. requirements for ATF applications and it works fine.  If you like Mobil 1 products, this should work for you also.  Glad you did no damage to either bike or yourself, underwear not withstanding!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 06:42:35 PM »

That's right Ernie, maybe Scot could learn from Don's experience :huepfenlol2:

i know i know

just waitin for the powerball ticket...then i'll store one at EVERYONES house

we can ALL borrow em

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 07:45:45 PM »

Don - I've had a Barnett Scorpion clutch in my SEEG2 for almost two years.  The clutch was doing great 'til for some stupid azz reason I filled the hole with Amsoil.  About twenty miles later, I experienced the same thing as you.  I guess in my case it took a while for the synthetic to absorb in the plates.  Replaced discs for about $150.  PJ

Pete, I'm hoping I won't be out the down time for another set of disks.  The guy this morning said take them out, wipe them down and go right back together with it.  I will let them set in some ATF and wipe them down again before doing that just to satisfy myself a bit that I've done all I can.  If it has to come back apart yet again for another set of disks after that I will then become less than a happy camper.

Motor oil for the primary isn't even necessarily my fluid of choice.  But when buttoning it up I realized I was out of what I'd normally pour in and I did have a case of the Mobil 1 Vtwin on the floor.  The docs so boldly so "any fluid" I figured "hey, what the hell, this can't be a problem."   :oops:

Have another 90 minutes or so at my desk or on the phone yet this evening.  Then going to go tear it down again.  Hopefully it'll just be a matter of disassembly and assembly one more time.  If so I'm more than willing to live it with and just ride the machine.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 08:49:17 PM »

Pete, I'm hoping I won't be out the down time for another set of disks.  The guy this morning said take them out, wipe them down and go right back together with it.  I will let them set in some ATF and wipe them down again before doing that just to satisfy myself a bit that I've done all I can.  If it has to come back apart yet again for another set of disks after that I will then become less than a happy camper.

Motor oil for the primary isn't even necessarily my fluid of choice.  But when buttoning it up I realized I was out of what I'd normally pour in and I did have a case of the Mobil 1 Vtwin on the floor.  The docs so boldly so "any fluid" I figured "hey, what the hell, this can't be a problem."   :oops:

Have another 90 minutes or so at my desk or on the phone yet this evening.  Then going to go tear it down again.  Hopefully it'll just be a matter of disassembly and assembly one more time.  If so I'm more than willing to live it with and just ride the machine.

No worries Don.  I did the same thing initially not having read the instructions at all before adding VTwin instead of ATF.  Removed primary and sprayed down with brake clean while actuating the clutch.  Put her back together, worked fine.  So that's what instructions are for?  Don't worry, be happy!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 09:32:29 PM »

No worries Don.  I did the same thing initially not having read the instructions at all before adding VTwin instead of ATF.  Removed primary and sprayed down with brake clean while actuating the clutch.  Put her back together, worked fine.  So that's what instructions are for?  Don't worry, be happy!

That sounds promising.  If I can stay off the phone I hope to have similar luck later this evening :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 02:00:54 AM »

That sounds promising.  If I can stay off the phone I hope to have similar luck later this evening :2vrolijk_21: .

Didn't happen.  Finally got done with the evening's chores about 11:30.  Drained the primary and pulled the cover off.  Pulled everything out of the basket and wiped all the disks down.  Very well.  Then wiped them again with a rag with brake cleaner on it.  Then soaked them in type F ATF for a few minutes.  Then lightly wiped them all back down again and reassembled.  Then, same damn thing.

Then I was out of patience.  Put away the tools and grabbed a beer or three.  chit.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 06:28:17 AM »

What an absolute drag.  Sorry to hear about the ridiculous documentation.  Now if you had just not read it, well it be a drag, but to boldly post an inaccuracy, really inexcusable.  Now Pete, why did you have to replace yours, did it degrade the plates? 

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »

What an absolute drag.  Sorry to hear about the ridiculous documentation.  Now if you had just not read it, well it be a drag, but to boldly post an inaccuracy, really inexcusable.  Now Pete, why did you have to replace yours, did it degrade the plates? 

curious also. what ill affects does the synthetic cause? in the iron head spporty days, we would run atf to help with clutch creeping, and todays clutch plates are like those in an automatic tranny, but what exact problems are caused by the synthetic? does it swell the discs? create surface tension?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 12:31:16 PM »

curious also. what ill affects does the synthetic cause? in the iron head spporty days, we would run atf to help with clutch creeping, and todays clutch plates are like those in an automatic tranny, but what exact problems are caused by the synthetic? does it swell the discs? create surface tension?

I asked the guy specifically those questions as I was wondering if absorption of any amount would cause problem after reinstallation.  He wouldn't answer specifically.  Either simply didn't know specifically what the issue was or was effectively evasive on purpose.  I got the impression he really didn't know the specific answer but had simply seen this happen enough times to know when 1 and 1 equalled locked up clutch basket.  He did say without hesitation or reservation that this was something they'd seen before quite a few times.

I hoped that his guidance to remove, clean, use ATF and reassemble would do the job.  Unfortunately apparently not.  At last not in this case.  Once a task starts going downhill though they seem to fight you to the end.  So guess I shouldn't have expected anything else.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »

"Drag."  Clutch.  MrsWe made a joke :huepfenlol2: .

Candy, this has become a real drag.  A rather total pain in the arse.  Once again the enemy of good is better.

The stock discs that came out actually looked great.  They were slipping with the new motor work so I figured, "hey, with 40k miles it makes sense to replace the clutches rather than just band aid a different spring system on top of them."  Was trying not do it the easy way and cut a corner.  Just do it once, do it right, do it the first time.  Well, now it's back apart for the third time this time.  My patience has about timed out.  And I still have to convince someone that it is quite well time to warranty replace a set of clutch plates.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.