Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Ford vs Toyota  (Read 3668 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Ford vs Toyota
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »

A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American company (Ford Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order; American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rowers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.
The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid-off one rower, halted development of a new canoe, sold all the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated rower was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles,) so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India .

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US , claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US . The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses.

Ford folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses.

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Sean M Cary

Re: Ford vs Toyota
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »

man, this was just posted about 3 or 4 days ago...

d00d - fix this please!!

A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American company (Ford Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order; American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rowers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.
The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid-off one rower, halted development of a new canoe, sold all the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated rower was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles,) so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India .

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US , claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US . The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses.

Ford folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses.

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »

Yeah, but it wasn't in boldface.

My post is in boldface. :pepper:

;)

I should read here more maybe.......

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:51:19 PM »

;)

indubitably  :carrot:

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »

;)

My Sister in Law was laid off from Ford two weeks ago.  She was a Manager.  Maybe they'll do better with one less steerer now.  She likely sees herself as a rower, however, since she was in charge of a line in the stamping plant and far from white collar.  She's quite happy about it........
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:59:42 PM »

My Sister in Law was laid off from Ford two weeks ago.  She was a Manager.  Maybe they'll do better with one less steerer now.  She likely sees herself as a rower, however, since she was in charge of a line in the stamping plant and far from white collar.  She's quite happy about it........

Had family that worked for GM.  They used to love to get laid off - went fishing, took vacations. 

Not sure what they did for GM - probably something to do with the defarkenator settings?   :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »

Had family that worked for GM.  They used to love to get laid off - went fishing, took vacations. 

Not sure what they did for GM - probably something to do with the defarkenator settings?   :nixweiss:

Yup, one of the excesses from the "good ol' days" when there was no competition for the big three.  Union asks for supplemental unemployment benefits (SUB) to compete with the common practice of lifetime employment in Japan and elsewhere.  Since the big three and the UAW had a practice of all agreeing to one master contract, there was no competitive disadvantage at the time and the companies agreed.  And ever since, the hourly employees have looked forward to layoffs as just a slightly different version of a vacation.  Between unemployment insurance and SUB, the typical worker could expect to receive somewhere in the neighborhood of 75-80% of their normal pay.  In later contracts the companies had to agree to ask senior employees if they wanted to take the layoffs first, since they didn't feel it was fair that the newbies got to lay around doing nothing while being paid almost as much as the senior folks who had to work every day.  Just one of the many flaky things that came out of the heyday of the big unions.

Even though there are many examples of bad agreements like this, IMHO the overall result of unionism has been positive.  Unions finally gave people who worked with their hands a chance to have some little measure of control over their lives, and to live with dignity.  The improved wages led to the expansion of the middle class, which in turn improved the lot of everyone in this country.  Unions were/are also highly active in safety, leading to many more workers actually making it home to their families over the years.  Just thought I would try to present a little from both sides.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:14:30 PM »

Family that worked at Bell Helicopter (also union) were the same as to lay offs. Had union & non union workers in my family - so saw both sides.  When I worked production was never union & never had any issues.  Now I'm in mgt. & the company has a union & usually things go very smoothly - no strikes, etc.

It is interesting that Japanese & German automakers built plants here as domestic companies closed theirs.  Market share shifted to them.

Heard last night that BMW will shift product of the Z 4 convertible to Germany - away from their plant in Spartanburg, SC. Do not know the reason for this - could be wanting to expand the world market for the vehicle?  :nixweiss:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
FORD & TOYOTA
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 11:47:38 PM »

Ford  & Toyota

didnt realize this was already posted till it got moved here. . soooo  im deleating my version...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:23:30 PM by sportygordy »

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

Re: FORD & TOYOTA
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »

Ford is stuck with unions and Toyota is not.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 06:26:24 AM »

Not any better for Gm. Gm hired an a vp in charge of whatever last year up in Canada at an annual salary not including bonuses for 1.6 million. Worked one month, is now on permanent stress leave collecting over $ one million per year. Nice job if you can get it. THE MUFFMAN

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »

While that is true, that is not the only reason.

Toyota management does not make near the money Ford Management does.  Nor does Toyota have near the numbers of managers as Ford does. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »

While that is true, that is not the only reason.

Toyota management does not make near the money Ford Management does.  Nor does Toyota have near the numbers of managers as Ford does. 

True, but managers need managers to look after them.THE MUFFMAN

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 04:11:59 PM »

Toyota has one major difference in this market to the Big 3.  They are just as invested in SUV and Truck but they never walked away for cars, so they are bouyed by car sales.

They have a long way to fall and won't get as bad as the Big 3 but they too have taken a hit in this economy, much more so than say Honda who never got into the truck game.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 04:27:03 PM »

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »

Here's something else to think about: Ford has
spent the last thirty years moving     all its factories
out of the  US     , claiming they can't make money
paying American  wages.

TOYOTA      has spent the last thirty years building
more than a dozen plants inside     the  US      . 
The last quarter's results:
TOYOTA      makes 4 billion in profits  while Ford 
racked up 9 billion in losses.

Truck wise I've always bought Toyota until this year and I just bought a new GMC...any guesses on were it was made..Mexico. The big 3 are like most American companies....too many chiefs and not enough Indians

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »

Sorry, but the UAW didn't hire and then keep promoting Jacques Nasser, nor did it put all those do-nothing clowns on the board of directors.  The problems at Ford were created by mismanagement, plain and simple.  And having a bunch of family members controlling the majority of the voting stock (8 votes per share of family only B class stock) surely didn't help (how do you think all those do-nothing board members got their jobs?)

Jerry

BTW, I don't remember the American auto companies saying they couldn't make money because of union wages.  If you do a little research you will find that Toyota (and Honda and Nissan) pay very similar wages in their U.S. plants.  Where the American companies have a big issue is in the legacy costs related to pensions and health care. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:18:57 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »

Sorry, but the UAW didn't hire and then keep promoting Jacques Nasser, nor did it put all those do-nothing clowns on the board of directors.  The problems at Ford were created by mismanagement, plain and simple.  And having a bunch of family members controlling the majority of the voting stock (8 votes per share of family only B class stock) surely didn't help (how do you think all those do-nothing board members got their jobs?)

Jerry

But I bet none of em forfeited their huge bonuses and stock options!!! :nixweiss: ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BigR55

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »

Twelve years ago Toyota built a Tundra Truck factory ten miles north of here. It has brought much needed high paying jobs to our area and they have added the Sequoia and Seana lines. Now with the downturn in truck sales, they are consolidating the whole truck line to Texas.
Dodge has been running adds for 50% off.
Honda is moving all Goldwing production back to Japan.
GM and Ford are not the only ones in trouble in the US. :(

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »

Twelve years ago Toyota built a Tundra Truck factory ten miles north of here. It has brought much needed high paying jobs to our area and they have added the Sequoia and Seana lines. Now with the downturn in truck sales, they are consolidating the whole truck line to Texas.
Dodge has been running adds for 50% off.
Honda is moving all Goldwing production back to Japan.
GM and Ford are not the only ones in trouble in the US. :(

Honda is going to make cars at the Goldwing plant. THE GW's will be part crated in like the rest of the metric lineups and assembled here in the US. I got my GMC at employee pricing plus 5k off 2 weeks ago. Sweet deals if you can afford to buy right now. I work in a union shop at UPS and yes we make great money if your full time BUT that's all we get (benefits included). Management however gets a minimum of $10k in stock options plus salary and bonuses (that's entry level management mind you). So imagine what the Big Dogs make. That's the problem.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »

Jerry

BTW, I don't remember the American auto companies saying they couldn't make money because of union wages.  If you do a little research you will find that Toyota (and Honda and Nissan) pay very similar wages in their U.S. plants.  Where the American companies have a big issue is in the legacy costs related to pensions and health care. 

Union Wages are not the issue I agree, I was in a non union auto plant for a few years.  The issue is, at least with GM, they have three workers in a union plant for every one worker in a non union plant, and it is even worse in the maintenace end of it. 

AC/Delco spark plug plant for example had 8 maintenace guys per shift for the four spark plug lines, Denso had 2 maintenace guys per shift for four spark plug lines, and we made 100,000 more plugs in 24 hours than AC/Delco.  That is becuase under union rules you have to have a guy from each trade, where non union, all maintenance guys are multi craft.

Another big issue is the American auto compaines have way more management than Toyota or Honda.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 09:29:24 AM »

The "problem" is that most americans want to whine about what the "big dogs" make instead of going to work to become one themselves. I'll copy and paste my "outsourcing" perspective from another topic.............

If I could add my 2 cents about outsourcing from another perspective. I am in the middle of a Department of Labor audit. I have ALWAYS taken good care of all the people I am and have been responsible for, but they do not look at things objectively when they audit your wage and earnings. I won't go into details as it won't change whatever they decide. But if someone "says" you owe them more money after they are fired or quit, it is up to you to prove them wrong (guilty until proven innocent at your expense). So you either pay a pile of money to prove you are innocent, or pay a pile of money to the government as they have to make money for the time they spent doing the actual investigation.

But OUR government makes it such a pain in the a$$ to try and run a business.

Also, you have, what seems to me, the majority of people anymore who don't want to work and out of the one's that do, they feel you owe them something big just for doing the job they were hired to do. Or, they have no pride in workmanship. They just worry about making their 40 and going home, no matter what the quality of their work is. Isn't their fault if it comes out wrong, or its poorly made. Why would it be their fault? Nothing ever is. There is always some situation or circumstance or agency making new rules. Companies have to hire people just to keep up with the rules. I know, I just had to do this.

There then comes a time when big business say's "hey, we can get this kind of crappy workmanship "over there" except they will be more than HAPPY to have a job and they will be more then happy to do it for a lot less. In fact, since we don't have to jump thru all the governmental hoops, and hire people just to keep up with all of the red tape, feel good, bull Sh!t, we can make it over there, ship it back over here, get the same "craftmanship" that MOST (I didn't say ALL) of Americans are turning out now and make more money doing it with a lot less headaches and the people we hire to do it will actually appreciate it and it will be helping their communities..... (talk about your run on sentence).

just my opinion and we know what those are like.... :P

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 02:16:54 AM »

I'll drive my Chevy and ride my Harley with no complaints but just a lot of pride.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:19:21 AM by 07SEBiker »
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 07:08:18 AM »

I'll drive my Chevy and ride my Harley with no complaints but just a lot of pride.  

Yep, my vehicles are American made, 03 Halrey, 06 GMC 3500, 07 Impala and wifes 07 Harley, and my soon to be 09 SERG

BigR55

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 02:46:29 AM »

If I could add my 2 cents about outsourcing from another perspective. I am in the middle of a Department of Labor audit. I have ALWAYS taken good care of all the people I am and have been responsible for, but they do not look at things objectively when they audit your wage and earnings. I won't go into details as it won't change whatever they decide. But if someone "says" you owe them more money after they are fired or quit, it is up to you to prove them wrong (guilty until pr oven innocent at your expense). So you either pay a pile of money to prove you are innocent, or pay a pile of money to the government as they have to make money for the time they spent doing the actual investigation.

But OUR government makes it such a pain in the a$$ to try and run a business.

In fact, since we don't have to jump Thrugh all the governmental hoops, and hire people just to keep up with all of the red tape, feel good, bull Sh!t, we can make it over there, ship it back over here, get the same "craftmanship" that MOST (I didn't say ALL) of Americans are turning out now and make more money doing it with a lot less headaches and the people we hire to do it will actually appreciate it and it will be helping their communities..... (talk about your run on sentence).
just my opinion and we know what those are like.... :P

While all this is going on, nothing is being made by the people involved AND what is being made by the rest of the workers is being eaten up by the cost of our government "protecting" us.

Meanwhile, China is going through it's industrial revolution and making container loads of stuff for wally world and every other product we consume. We do not want to ignore the enviourment, worker safety and wages but there has to be something in between. We can not even make a football helmet much less an general aviation airplane.

Here is a Chinese scooter that sells for $1450.00, less than a CVO tourpack. Subtract the freight, import tax and profit from three points of distribution from that could not leave much more than $900.00 for the manufacturer and they still made a profit.

Fifty cents an hour would be a pay raise for me! :D

Muley

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE Red
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 Black
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »

[
Here is a Chinese scooter that sells for $1450.00, less than a CVO tourpack. Subtract the freight, import tax and profit from three points of distribution from that could not leave much more than $900.00 for the manufacturer and they still made a profit.

Fifty cents an hour would be a pay raise for me! :D

[/quote]

And the damn thing even has a tour pack!!!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.