Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: The strangest thing you have hit!  (Read 20677 times)

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
The strangest thing you have hit!
« on: September 05, 2008, 12:44:34 PM »

What is the strangest thing that you have hit while riding?   ???

Last night I was on my way home from work and struck of all things a wild Turkey.  I was cruising about 55 - 60 mph and saw a big a s s turkey jump out of the ditch and I started to slow up...knowing that another one had to be coming out.  Sure enough WAM!  Blood, guts, everywhere all over my bike, and me.  It was sick. 

I never felt like I was going to loose control of the bike, but I absolutely felt the hit.  The turkey I hit was a smaller one...Thank God.  If I had hit the 1st one that jumped out...it may have knocked me off balance.  I did not take any pictures of the bike or the turkey… All I wanted to do was get the junk off my bike, and me.  When I got home my wife was like "oh my god are you OK” I told her I was fine and then we went out and looked at the bike...no damage just blood and guts all over the front wheel and forks.  It was just under the headlamp.  NASTY...

Cleaned the bike with some soap and water...good as new.  As for my pants and shirt…well we will see.  Washing them a second time.

I think my next strangest thing would be a buddy hit a bat once and it just about caused him to come off of his bike.  Struck him in the face.  That was bad.  I busted his face up good.
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: The strangest thing you have hit!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »

DUDE! Glad you're alright. Frickin turkeys can do some serious damage. Thankfully my tally only involves chipmunks, squirrels a couple of birds (species unknown) and about a bizillion bugs.

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 01:46:15 PM »

Went pheasant hunting last year while on the national Posse ride.  Riding Wisconsin hwy 35, rounded a slight bend in the road doing about 60 and saw the bugger on the left shoulder just standing there, slowed just a bit and he didn't move, accelerated and of course he took off and took a direct hit on my fairing/headlight.  No noticeable damage but he was a goner.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 02:16:03 PM »

Was riding the roads up in the Adirondaks a week and a half ago. First turkey to fly out as I approached was high over the bike.

Where there's one there's always more. Slowed a little and sure enough here she comes just missed her. Riding buddy behind me laughing his azz off.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 02:20:46 PM »

Clam,

big dent on tank while parked. I could tell it was a clam because some shell was stuck to seat when it splattered on the tank, dash....

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:33:02 PM »

DUDE! Glad you're alright. Frickin turkeys can do some serious damage. Thankfully my tally only involves chipmunks, squirrels a couple of birds (species unknown) and about a bizillion bugs.

Thanks man...I am fine just had to do some cleaning.  The bugs tend to clean up a little eaiser than Turkey!   ;D :D

Was riding the roads up in the Adirondaks a week and a half ago. First turkey to fly out as I approached was high over the bike.

Where there's one there's always more.
Slowed a little and sure enough here she comes just missed her. Riding buddy behind me laughing his azz off.

That is exactly what happened to me.  I saw that first one...a big sucker.  Flew way up over but well in front of me.  The next one tried to run for it...and there was no way I could stop...and I was not about to try to miss it. 

OK...Miker...how the hell did you hit a clam?  Did it fly off of the back of a truck or what.  I have heard of flying fish but not clams?   ;D :D ;D  That would have stung a little!

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 02:34:19 PM »

I am a proud member of the bat club...had a full-face on at thie time luckily. Knocked me back in the saddle a bit, but no loss of control.

Last year in the truck, two days before Halloween I had a bat come out of the woods and hit the windshield on my truck, startled me almost as bad as the bike incident. Sucker had his wing wrapped around the antenna, so he clung on for approx. 13 miles till I had to stop at a traffic light. Cars passing by cuased enough airr current that it came off just before the light changed. I hoped it would cling on till I got to work so I could show everyone how my truck was decorated for "All Saints Eve"...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

The the inside of the front wall and side wall of the bed of my pickup truck...loading my '97 RK for the first time to bring it in for the 500 mile service...it got away from me...the truck was just as new at the time as it was a '97 also... :'( :'( :'(
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »

My buddy that hit the bat was doing about 70 - 80 or so.  Was the rice rocket days...going around a slight bend and he was riding in front of us.  I saw the bat swoop down and he got jarred back and almost come off of his bike...his head looked like a bobble head!   ;D :D  There were 4 of us riding and he was the only one riding solo...so he was in front.  Everyone stoped and was just like... :o

He went home...said his neck hurt???

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 03:23:34 PM »

I'll bet it rocked his frigging world!
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

Sean M Cary

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 04:35:23 PM »

Clam,

big dent on tank while parked. I could tell it was a clam because some shell was stuck to seat when it splattered on the tank, dash....

Man, I hate those flying suicide clams.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »

I hit what had to be a bat or small bird one night going up to the skyline drive...left a welt in my shoulder - no marks on my shirt.

Month or so back I thought I was going to take a small hawk in the side of the bike, it came swooping down and was going to be right where I was when he landed...he stopped short and grabbed a mouse our something on the side of the road. 

All I could do was stare...no avoiding him if he was going to hit me.

Glad your ok!

Sean

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »

In 2003 I hit an owl on my 02 Ultra.  Broke the windshield, outer secton of upper fairing and popped the nut plates out of the inner fairing.  Also lost the visor off my helmet.  Insurance paid for w/s, inner and outer fairing but not my visor or underware!
 :-\

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 04:44:02 PM »

Drove over a piece of cloth on the rode. It snapped up on my oil cooler and it turned out to be a G string.

Took crap from my buddies for a whole year
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.