Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: HOW TO ADJUST THE REAR SUSPENSION  (Read 20274 times)

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
Re: HOW TO ADJUST THE REAR SUSPENSION
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »

the cvo springer shocks are set very low to give a low seat height,low mean look.   i wouldnt say it is set soft, it bottoms out cus its set low, as a single rider i have no problems but with luggage and a BSR then it bottomed out.

it obviousy depends on the weight of the riders.  a good dealer should set the suspension up according to your requirements

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »

All of this is a littlle disconcerting since I am considering buying a 2009 CVO Springer. My question is: what is different about the softail suspension on the CVO Springer that would cause it to be so soft or bottom out frequently. I have been riding a Fat boy which I assume has the same factory suspension settings and I have not experienced this problem. Also, it appears as though you can purchase more rigid shocks through the dealer if necessary--this seems to be a lot cheaper than the SAS air ride. Regarding scraping the front pegs---anyone come up with a solution? :'(
Although it's set up soft from the factory, they are adjustable. Like I shared earlier, just tighten them up firmer until they only bottom in the most extreme conditions. Then they'll be using the full range 99.9% of the time which is perfect.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »

Been on a set of springs for over 20 years and agree they have a life all their own,but to hear people having such difficulty and resorting to an air-ride with a brand new bike seems a little hasty, no disrespect intended..  I'd rather go to the tool box and see if I could adjust it first.Shifter distance,brake distance, headlight beam, rear shock adjustment, handlebar and reach heights, tire pressures etc. are major adjustments that are intended to be made before one should even think of putting the old lady on the back for a good ride. Setting up the bike for your basic style is first step,and the rear suspension is one of the biggest areas,and often most overlooked areas, because it not only involves comfort but also safety (2 of the most important ) and should be addressed and your comfort can be found. It doesnt help with the lowering kit, my 97 Bad-Boy handled great until I put the lowering kit on and even with proper adjustments still would sometimes bottom out when loaded down hard but was awesome for 99% of normal riding. It took me 3 adjustment attempts around 1-1/2 hrs and my sweet spot on the 09 is 44 psi rear 38psi front,1-1/4 (equal turns both shocks) turns stiffening the suspension. I had the bike prepped with the saddle bags on with a 12 pack ( pepsi of course ) in each, me and the wife with coats and full gear ,full bag of fuel. Much,MUCH better. And for those that dont own a spanner wrench and dont ever intend to, the dealer can make these adjustments quickly and (I've heard) will do it for free where I bought from as part of a normal bike setup, I prefer the bonding thing with the new scoot myself. (brake,shift lever and handlebars also,free) If I were to start from somewhere I think I'd start with some basic free stuff before going with $$   Safety 1'st !!

Sorry so long winded but I've always considered this a highly important and overlooked area in my neck of the woods and it is something that I'd never thought would be enough to discourage others from purchasing a Springer !
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

jester

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »

i had the same problem with the shocks set at the factory specs, bottomed out alot with and without a passenger.  i bought the wrench at the dealer and adjusted mine by the number of threads i could still see before tightening the lock nut.  you just need to ride and and readjust it until you find the proper setting.  it takes a small amount of time but you get to know your bike better
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.547 seconds with 21 queries.