Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Nova Scotia trip help!  (Read 12410 times)

hogasm

Nova Scotia trip help!
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »

Been looking into a summer trip to Nova Scotia.

Is the best way into NS by way of Yarmouth with the www.catferry.com, or are there any other ways in?

The other ferry would be into Digby, or by land through Amherst.

What are the fees to enter into NS and are there any other taxes I would need to know before going.

thanks

this has been helpful  http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:51:49 PM by hogasm »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
Re: Nova Scotia trip help!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »

Been looking into a summer trip to Nova Scotia.

Is the best way into NS by way of Yarmouth with the www.catferry.com, or are there any other ways in?

The other ferry would be into Digby, or by land through Amherst.

What are the fees to enter into NS and are there any other taxes I would need to know before going.

thanks

this has been helpful  http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com/

Are you reading my mind AGAIN!   I was thinking of going after my convention in DC in July...What are your dates?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:04:23 AM »

The sales tax system in Canada is a little confusing, there is a standard Federal tax rate, and then a Provincial one as well.

The confusion is in what they are titled. Basically anything you buy will have an additional 5 -15% tacked on depending on where you are.

This looks pretty accurate to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Canada

Don't get too concerned though, as a vistor there is a rebate program in effect where you can get a big chunk of what you paid back on your return to the States.

There will be documents advising how this works at your port of entry/departure:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/rbts/menu-eng.html

Nova Scotia is beautiful, the people are awesome!

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:38:54 AM »

Are you reading my mind AGAIN!   I was thinking of going after my convention in DC in July...What are your dates?

July :2vrolijk_21:

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 10:59:06 AM »

depending where you are going in NS i dont see the ferry as much of a time saver. marlborough to halifax is about 700 miles on road and could be done in 1 day without the hassle of dealing with the ferry. and only a couple of tolls on the way up. if you wanted to be on the southern edge on NS then i'd consider some of the ferry options

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »

depending where you are going in NS i dont see the ferry as much of a time saver. marlborough to halifax is about 700 miles on road and could be done in 1 day without the hassle of dealing with the ferry. and only a couple of tolls on the way up. if you wanted to be on the southern edge on NS then i'd consider some of the ferry options

Looking at the Lighthouse Route. Starts in Yarmouth and ends in Halifax or vice-versa.

Trying to figure out the tolls and tariffs to enter NS.  The ones in the US are bad enough, and don't think of towing a trailer. You might as well ship the bike there, it would be cheaper.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »

been a few years since ive been to NS, but its was one small toll in NB and on part way into NS

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »

been planning this very ride myself for this summer. :orange:

lets ride

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »

Must be the year for NS.  I've been wanting to go and do the Cabot Trial for several years and we are working on a plan with two other couples now.  Been looking at the ferries also but wonder if anyone has info on them.  Are the bikes below deck and is there limited space?  Assume these ferries can be subject to rough seas so how are bikes secured?  I'm kinda like Neal and thinking of going by land.

And I do plan to tow my Bushtec.  But man the tolls on a bike and trailer are as much as for a large motor home.  But owning a Harley I'm used to overpaying, lol.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »

Wow!  Judy and I are working on a similar trip!  Home - Maine - Canada - Niagara Falls - Home, but, we are flexible!
 :huepfenjump3:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »

I did Nova Scotia two years ago and am heading back August 1 this summer. Cabot Trail is a must do, Cape Breton Island is definitely the most scenic riding on Nova Scotia
I took the ferry over and rode back through New Brunswick and ME last time but am planning on ferry round trip this year, the hold is huge they give you a tie-down that goes over your seat, probably is adequate (I brought ratchet ties of my own to secure)
A lot of good information from http://www.novascotia.com/ride/
IMO if you ride up as far as St. John’s for the ferry to Digby, you might as well ride all the way into NS.
Let me know if anyone is planning on being up there first week of August maybe we could get together for  lobster and a beer.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 08:22:27 PM »

thanks for the info. :2vrolijk_21:

:orange:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 08:47:57 PM »

Sounds like you guys got a pack goin up.

Just remember........   :worthless:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 09:08:07 PM »

The sales tax system in Canada is a little confusing, there is a standard Federal tax rate, and then a Provincial one as well.

The confusion is in what they are titled. Basically anything you buy will have an additional 5 -15% tacked on depending on where you are.

This looks pretty accurate to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Canada

Don't get too concerned though, as a vistor there is a rebate program in effect where you can get a big chunk of what you paid back on your return to the States.

There will be documents advising how this works at your port of entry/departure:

What Tax? With the Canadian dollar in the toilet compared, to the US dollar, you'll still be getting plenty of change back. Enjoy the ride and spend lots.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »

July :2vrolijk_21:

So where do you stand on this one...It may work for me...I will be in DC until August 2nd and could leave after that date!

:2vrolijk_21:

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 12:09:14 PM »

I'm planning on staying in Portland 7/31 and catching ferry to Yarmouth 8/1 and riding to Halifax or as far along the Lighthouse we get on Sat. afternoon.
Once you're set on the whens and wheres let me know. I'd like to spend couple nights on Cape Breton and a night on PEI also probably Wed. or Thursday.
Sounds like it could be a Maritime CVO Rally.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »

As A kid we took the ferry from Bar Harbor, ME to Nova Scotia, had lobsta in a restaurant in Bar Harbor that was just off the docks. Been a long time, but it was great. Camped on the Bay of Fundy, and when then tide goes out it goes almost a mile out. You can walk to a small island at low tide, but need to keep track of the tide. You can see it coming in. Did come claming, for little neck clams to have with our dinner, also looking for amethysts.

http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/

hogasm

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »

So where do you stand on this one...It may work for me...I will be in DC until August 2nd and could leave after that date!

I am open most any time :2vrolijk_21:

Give me a call

Just thought about July 23. It is when they are having their bike rally. Might not be a good time, so anytime in August is good

hogasm

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 08:31:29 PM »

I'm planning on staying in Portland 7/31 and catching ferry to Yarmouth 8/1 and riding to Halifax or as far along the Lighthouse we get on Sat. afternoon.
Once you're set on the whens and wheres let me know. I'd like to spend couple nights on Cape Breton and a night on PEI also probably Wed. or Thursday.
Sounds like it could be a Maritime CVO Rally.

Will do...just need to see when Jock is available

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 08:43:25 PM »

We did the same trip as Bunt did......the hi speed cat ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth.  Do not miss the Cabot trail and Cape Breton.  We then ferried to PEI and rode back via New Brunswick.  IN total a week in Nova Scotia.
Warning:  there are two seasons up there......winter and road construction.  We probably had to stop for extended periods two dozen times during the week.  Moreover the pot holes are tough.  The bolts on the header pipes of two of our bikes came off and we had down time in PEI to get them fixed.  Rough rough roads but the scenery is well worth it. Have fun. 

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »

We did the same trip as Bunt did......the hi speed cat ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth.  Do not miss the Cabot trail and Cape Breton.  We then ferried to PEI and rode back via New Brunswick.  IN total a week in Nova Scotia.
Warning:  there are two seasons up there......winter and road construction.  We probably had to stop for extended periods two dozen times during the week.  Moreover the pot holes are tough.  The bolts on the header pipes of two of our bikes came off and we had down time in PEI to get them fixed.  Rough rough roads but the scenery is well worth it. Have fun. 

PS: you need to make advance reservations for the Ferry.  They have special tie downs for the bikes....no worries.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »

I am open most any time :2vrolijk_21:

Give me a call

Just thought about July 23. It is when they are having their bike rally. Might not be a good time, so anytime in August is good

Just got a call from my riding partner to Alaska and she is seeking to plan a trip to NE in Sept.  Depending upon how many days we need I think we can still make the other trip work.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 10:58:28 PM »

FYI - The visitor rebate program was cancelled some years ago. Just think of it as helping out you poorer northern cousins!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »

no more rebates, but still worth the trip

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »

no more rebates, but still worth the trip

Rebates or not I want to go...life is getting shorter and there is so much to accomplish!

charger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 CUSE3
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »

Nova Scotia and Cape Breton are awesome, the Cabot Trail is a must see. Catch the Hog Rally if you can. I was in Cape Breton for the 06 Canadian National and those guys can party! !. Was there again last year without the bike. May do the trip again this year in July (not firm yet) Just a couple of heads up's, keep the rain gear handy and keep yours eyes open for pot holes (you can lose a bike in some of them) While your there be sure to check out PEI also.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »

Are there any other ferry's that travel between Bar Harbor and Yarmouth other than "the Cat"??  One way for a bike w/trailer and 2 passengers is pretty expensive.  Couldn't find any other ferry's between these two locations?
From Nova Scotia to PEI, it is not that expensive (is a regular ferry).  Thanks in advance.

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 10:04:59 PM »

That's the only one I know of there was an older one but they shut it down (I think because of mold infestation) a few years back.
You can drive from NS to PEI the ferry and bridge aren't that far apart.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 11:42:56 PM »

From Nova Scotia to PEI, it is not that expensive (is a regular ferry).  Thanks in advance.

Those PEI'ers have it figured out - they don't charge for the ferry to the island, they charge to get off!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Itsadrag

• that hurt
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 11:08:05 PM »

Not sure about what the best way in from the U.S into Nova Scotia is, but I can tell you this the CAT Ferry is crazy expensive, and you would be missing a nice ride across the lower main land and St. Lawrence River by taking the ferry. In Canada we have provincial and federal taxes, and as stated above you would be able to reclaim a big chunk of the taxes you paid. The federal tax is constant regardless of the province or territory, while provincial taxes do vary, in Ontario we pay a 5% tax on goods and services, and 8% federal tax. Anyway, I did the trip last year and loved the area and atmosphere so much I extended my trip into P.E.I, New Brunswick, and Cape Breton. This is a trip that is well worth a lot of planning before you depart because you want to enjoy it, see everything and the people are so friendly and inviting. I am planning on going back next year, and now that I know how much they have to see and do, I will be a little more prepared and hopefully without losing my job this time around, last boss didn't like my 3 week holiday turning into 7 weeks, lol.  Have a great one and a safe one.
Is spring here yet?

hogasm

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »

Wanted to bring this back up to the top.

Seems like there are a few people interested in making a little get together in Nova Scotia :2vrolijk_21:

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »

Seems like there are a few people interested in making a little get together in Nova Scotia :2vrolijk_21:
When are you thinkin Brian?  :drink:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »

Sounds like something I should do!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »

Thanks for the PM, anytime works for us.
Should be 4 bikes total in our little happy group!

SBB

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:29:10 PM by SBB »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2009, 06:17:40 PM »

What timeframe are we talking now?  Still August and for how long?
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

hogasm

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 07:47:57 AM »

Anyone interested in CAMPING :nixweiss:

make it a real bike trip :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »

Anyone interested in CAMPING :nixweiss:

make it a real bike trip :2vrolijk_21:

I thought about that for my Great lakes circumnavigation trip (about 28 days - 7500 miles).

I thought maybe every other day then I thought maybe every 4-5 days then I thought - I'm not 20 anymore.

Who else here would be pulling a camper?
If I had one it would be a consideration, I'm just not into sleeping on the ground anymore. Now if I had a Bushtec to load up???
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 09:24:57 AM »

Roughing it for me is when the Holiday Inn Express doesn't have internet connection.

:nixweiss:          :nixweiss:           :nixweiss:            :nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

hogasm

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 09:53:42 AM »

I thought about that for my Great lakes circumnavigation trip (about 28 days - 7500 miles).

I thought maybe every other day then I thought maybe every 4-5 days then I thought - I'm not 20 anymore.

Who else here would be pulling a camper?
If I had one it would be a consideration, I'm just not into sleeping on the ground anymore. Now if I had a Bushtec to load up???

Your only 2 years older than me

Thinking of not puling the Pop up....TENT :2vrolijk_21:....like real bikers  :coolblue:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:55:18 AM by hogasm »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 09:58:58 AM »

Your only 2 years older than me

:huepfenjump3: check the profiles brother

Thinking of ...TENT :2vrolijk_21:....like real bikers  :coolblue:

been there - done that and the T-shirt don't fit no more

but if I had a nice tag-along I could load it up with all the creature comforts and just maybe - nah

MV 2013

hogasm

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »

:huepfenjump3: check the profiles brother

2 a few...not much difference

it is all in how you feel :2vrolijk_21:......I feel 50...a young 50 :huepfenlol2:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 10:19:59 AM »

Well I don't feel 45 anymore.

it was shortly after the milestone that I realized "hey I'm not 20 anymore"

MV 2013

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »

Trying to work it out. If I'm not working I'll be going and planing to camp. Just need to know which tent to bring ( 3 man or 6 man ). Will have plenty of room. I use a cot, not bad at all. Will pull the trailer with the camping gear.
I should get a job, but this trip sounds too good to miss.  :huepfenjump3:
Hope it works out. ;)
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »

Well I don't feel 45 anymore.

it was shortly after the milestone that I realized "hey I'm not 20 anymore"

Duane,
I've got you by 9 years and I still camp. I use a cot and it makes all the difference in the world. :sleeping:
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 06:52:08 PM »

Well I gotta tap out on this one...got some news from the work space that is not going to allow me to participate in this event.  To those of you that can make this trip...ENJOY and I will be forced to live through your adventures!

:(

hogasm

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2009, 07:46:40 AM »

Damn Jock, we have talked about this trip for 2 years now.........

Won't be the same without you...........but it will be without you :coolblue:

Now I have to get off my ass and start planning for good :2vrolijk_21:

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2009, 08:38:01 AM »

Roughing it for me is when the Holiday Inn Express doesn't have internet connection.

:nixweiss:          :nixweiss:           :nixweiss:            :nixweiss:

I'm with Chip on this one.  I'll ride with anyone, but at the end of the day, I want to check in, take a shower, get on some clean clothes, get a nice meal, :drink: then laydown in a comfortable bed and do it all again the next day!
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2009, 08:43:19 AM »

I'm with Pete and Chip .. too many broken parts to camp unless there are no other options ..... now get planin will ya Brian  ;)   :drink:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »

Brian,
Soooo! When you going to start?
Have you picked a definite date?
Mike

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 11:13:16 PM »

Duane,
I've got you by 9 years and I still camp. I use a cot and it makes all the difference in the world. :sleeping:
Mike

how do you carry all the gear?

MV 2013

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2009, 08:57:59 AM »

I pull a trailer behind the bike. ;D
Mike

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »

I may have to bag this trip, got laid off yesterday.
Going to see how things look over the next few weeks and make a gametime decision.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »

bunt,
I know how you feel, I got the boot on the 15th of May. I'm trying to make it work so I won't have to get another regular job.
I think I can hustle enough to on my own to make it, as I can get social security in January! Had the market not gone to the dump
I could do it with no problem. :nixweiss:
I'm still planing to make the trip. Who knows may get run over by a runaway tank before January! ;D
Mike

XCESS

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »

Hey all I hear is about crossing at Barharbor to Yarmouth NS by ferry. Lots of folks cross at either Houlton maine by comming up the I95  over into New brunswick or take the crossing at Calais maine(much more scenic)US #1 then thru NB  down to NS and around the cabot trail. Then back to PEI. roads aren't that bad besides pothole season will be over by then lol !Total taxes  will run  you 13% most everywhere. Your dollar is taking quite a beating recently today was only a 10% premium. Paid for my 2006 CVO fatBoy 2 weeks ago and paid $1100 more in exchange then than I would today. I live in Shediac New Brunswick. You would  be about 10 miles from me if you were passing by to NS. If you decide to take this route let me know. perhaps we could ride into NS together. I am heading down as far as deals gap first 2 weeks of July. looking forward to the trip. take care and enjoy regardless of the route you take.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2009, 10:46:02 PM »

Sorry about that...between the matters we discussed on the telephone and more difficult news it is just not in the cards for me this year.

Enjoy!

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2009, 06:16:50 AM »

Hey Jock & Brian,

How about a two week trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in summer of 2010 ????   I need a new province!

/Bill
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:43:29 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2009, 10:18:23 PM »

Hey Jock & Brian,

How about a two week trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in summer of 2010 ????   I need a new province!

/Bill

That looks sweet...For me it all comes down to time and money...recently lost some money at work and now time...but with a little future planning...2010...that may work!

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 06:20:35 AM »

That looks sweet...For me it all comes down to time and money...recently lost some money at work and now time...but with a little future planning...2010...that may work!

I'm doin' my part to help with the financial side...finally visited the Doc, now on three meds, said to the doc, yeah it has been a couple of years since I was last in, she responded, 1999 !  Ooooops.

/Bill

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 08:30:14 AM »

Hey Jock & Brian,

/Bill

what about the rest of us  :nixweiss:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »

what about the rest of us  :nixweiss:

Been waiting for you to pipe in since the last one was cancelled!

/Bill

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »

Sound great! We could handle 2 week trip next year.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
      Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2009, 10:29:57 PM »

Hey Jock & Brian,

/Bill

So what's the status of this trip?

Is it still on?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2009, 06:37:33 AM »

It can be but I first have to get thru oregon and MV THIS year!

/Bill

So what's the status of this trip?

Is it still on?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

SBB

ygeorgey

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »

If you read the link on the Canadian tax, the do not offer a rebate unless you are booked on a tour or for a convention. I plane on riding from Florida to Maine with a ferry crossing from Bar Harbor to Nova Scotia. I will hit some of the spots that you as a group have mentioned and should arrive in Nova Scotia around July 28th.  If you see an 08 on the road, flash your lights!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:40:14 PM by ygeorgey »

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »

Hey Jock & Brian,

/Bill

Well Summer 2010 is approaching...Can this happen?  What about in the month of August?  Any takers?

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 06:44:42 AM »

Well Summer 2010 is approaching...Can this happen?  What about in the month of August?  Any takers?

Late July?  Since we are not going west we are now thinking Newfieland

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »

I just stumbled on this link.....what a great idea for this summer. I'm looking for a two week solo trip and all I've heard about Nova Scotia sound fantastic. I plan to do some research into this and will update the thread in the next few days. Be great linking up with some other members of this forum.

Ride Safe

Mickey

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »

Things that make ya go hmmmmmm!!!!

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »

I'm feeling good about this one this year...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2010, 10:44:16 PM »

Trivia fact for our American friends. Alberta (Canada) is America's largest supplier of oil.     

Thanks for the resource...can you do anything regarding lowering the price!

;)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »

Isn't your President going to force all Americans to drive electric cars and electric motorcycles? Maybe he can bring down the price of gas & oil.

Seriously, with your President's new health care reforms, Americans should get ready to start paying huge taxes on gasoline, oil, booze, and tobacco in order to pay for ever increasing health care costs. Canadians know that your President will not be able to bring down the cost of health care because we heard that same rhetoric back in the 1960s and 1970s. Our politicians told us that health care costs would come down once everyone had "free" health care in Canada. Guess what happened? Today, more than 50 cents out of every tax dollar collected in Canada goes to pay for health care costs. So get ready for higher taxes on everything including fuel, and get ready for even more wasteful government bureaucracies.

Sorry............   :)      

Exactly.  If you think something is expensive now just wait until it is 'free.' 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »

We had a great time August 2009.  Do it if you can!

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »

I've got a Garmin (mapsource) file with the trip we took last summer from Boston to PEI, to Cape Bretton, to Nova Scotia full of waypoints and motels etc.  I think the trip was around 2500 miles.  PM if your interested and I'll send ya the file.  It's definitely one of THOSE trips. :2vrolijk_21:
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2010, 01:52:04 PM »

I've got a Garmin (mapsource) file with the trip we took last summer from Boston to PEI, to Cape Bretton, to Nova Scotia full of waypoints and motels etc.  I think the trip was around 2500 miles.  PM if your interested and I'll send ya the file.  It's definitely one of THOSE trips. :2vrolijk_21:
If you would like to share that file why not post it in this board - GPS Routes !!Maps Only!!. Then all would would be able to download it when wanted/needed.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »

If you would like to share that file why not post it in this board - GPS Routes !!Maps Only!!. Then all would would be able to download it when wanted/needed.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
This is why you're the dOOd,  Wish I'd a thought of that.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »

This is why you're the dOOd,  Wish I'd a thought of that.
;D :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »

;D :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
It's there now.

savagecove1

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »

you might want to check on that  ferry. there are no ferrys entering yarmouth ,only digby. goverment cut backs, you understand.

RockerSE

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2011, 10:19:06 AM »

I have not read all the replies but my suggestion for timing is August, at least late July.  I recently lived up there for a year and a half.  The likelyhood of fog on the scenic routes is high until about mid July.  Be prepared for some terrible roads, dangerous if you are on a bike.  There are a lot of scenic villages and lighthouses but to quote my wife "if you have seen one dmn fishing village you have seen them all"
2008 Rocker FXCW
103" Big Bore
SE 257 Cams
SE Stroker Flat Top Pistons
SE Pro Twin Cam Heads (ACR & Race Springs)
SE Heavy Breather
SERT Custom Map
V&H 2 into 1

hogasm

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »

I have not read all the replies but my suggestion for timing is August, at least late July.  I recently lived up there for a year and a half.  The likelyhood of fog on the scenic routes is high until about mid July.  Be prepared for some terrible roads, dangerous if you are on a bike.  There are a lot of scenic villages and lighthouses but to quote my wife "if you have seen one dmn fishing village you have seen them all"

Funny that you said end of July......yesterday I called Staples "the office supply" customer service and the lady on the other end of the line was in Nova Scotia. What a coincidence. She said to definitely plan a motorcycle trip the last 2 weeks of July to the first 2 weeks of August.  Plan on temps from 50-80 degrees F.

Not going to Daytona this year so the NS trip is looking brighter :2vrolijk_21:

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »

Not going to Daytona this year so the NS trip is looking brighter :2vrolijk_21:

Jock, myself and Val have been kicking this trip around for a while also.

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Wild WV (16)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2011, 05:24:33 PM »

Brad

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »

Brad

So what do you think?  Still a thought?

Brian..you in?  Perhaps mid-Aug?

hogasm

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2011, 08:30:15 PM »

That is still the plan :2vrolijk_21:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2011, 08:34:13 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

I will call ya on the road next week...

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »

So what do you think?  Still a thought?

Brian..you in?  Perhaps mid-Aug?

Always a thought! When plan comes together we will see.

:bananarock:  :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Wild WV (16)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 21 queries.