Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: '09 SERG Oil Leak Oil Filter Area  (Read 5266 times)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: '09 SERG Oil Leak Oil Filter Area
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 09:14:12 AM »

Well I made it through all the '08 SERK issues with my '08 SERK and now with one week on the new '09 SERG, I have an oil leak.

My wife pointed it out to me this morning.  I didn't have a filter wrench so went to the dealership and bought one.  I'll be doing my own changes on this one.

I bought the filter wrench because I found oil on the bottom of the filter and that's as far as I went.  I put the wrench on it and gave it a bit of a twist tighter, it moved pretty easily.

I rode a couple hundred miles today and when I got back home the oil was still a drip or two off the bottom of the filter.

I'll call the dealership tomorrow and set something up, but has this happened before on the '09s?  I've not seen any major leak problems with any of the '09s to date.

If anyone has had this happen or something similar, please let me know.  Other than that, I'll let you all know as soon as I get it back to the dealership.

Thanks.

:(   :(  :(

Found my filter loose & leaking a couple week's ago while changing out my header pipe. I guess the moron @ moco had a bad day, could of been worse.
Ive seen filter seals deteriorate from being loose to where they will never re seal. REPLACE IT NOW  Good Luck  :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 10:05:01 PM »

That's right, I also told them about the oil leak prior to the 1k mile service and the leak is still there.  Now could I fix it myself, probably.  But I don't feel that I should have to buy another quart of Amsoil and possibly another filter to fix something that is under warranty.

Good luck on your issues.  I've read here that the tank emblems are nasty to clean around.  I found that out myself with a towel drying the bike one day.

:)  :)  :)

I dropped by the dealer today to see if they could tighten up the oil filter. Turns out the filter was on fine, the bracket the filter mounts to was loose, very loose. 30 minutes on the lift and all seem fine so far. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 10:45:05 AM »

I dropped by the dealer today to see if they could tighten up the oil filter. Turns out the filter was on fine, the bracket (adaptor) the filter mounts to was loose, very loose. 30 minutes on the lift and all seem fine so far

Yup, exactly what I was talking about in my first post.  What H-D is using looks very similar to the sandwich style adapter Jagg sells, and Jagg has also had problems with the adapters coming loose.  In fact, they came out with an extra bracket that can be attached to two of the bolts and jams against a boss on the engine case to prevent the adaptor from turning when you break the filter loose. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »

With the oil cooler lines in the way it is hard to hand tighten. Since owning this SEUC a little tighter than normal seems to work fine for me as I have had to crank it down just a little after an oil change the first time or two. Also found taking off the chrome cover off the cooler and spraying some brake cleaner takes care of the oil that seems to run down. Try taking off the chrome cover and you will find road sand and oil that gets trapped under the chrome oil cooler cover.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.