Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glare question  (Read 1364 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Glare question
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:52:45 AM »

I'm posting this since I see a Glare chemist is a member, so hopefully he can answer this for everyones benefit.

Last year I applied the Glare Spyder, then the Pro Polish. This year, I still see some fine swirls here and there (mainly on the tank), so I'd like to do another round of the Spyder swirl remover.

My question is, since the polish is so strong and supposedly only needs to be applied every 5 years, how effective could the Spyder be in penetrating this now protected surface? Should I use something that could possibly remove some of the polish, so that the Spyder can do it's thing, or should I just go ahead and repeat the process of the Spyder, then the polish?

HD paint must be soft or something-my previous Yamaha which I bought new and owned for 6 years never had a single swirl mark on it, no matter what angle you looked at it, in the direct sunlight, whatever- no swirls. I buy this bike second hand, and in direct sunlight and on some angles, I can see swirls....  :(
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Glare question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:17:24 AM »

NorthStar, guess the Glare Chemist didn't see this post yet, but if I were you I'd try another application of the Glare polish and if that didn't take the swirl marks out, I'd try the Glare Spyder and follow-up with the polish.  Don't know about the 'hardness' of the clear coats on the different brands of bikes, but I do thing that the CVO's with their custom paint jobs have softer final coats than the stock Harley's.  At least that seems to be the case with my two bikes.  My FLSTN doesn't seem to get swirl marks as bad as the FLHTCSE....or course one's white & the other black which shows them worse.  But, the Glare makes the dark paint color really pop more than the white also.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »

Like Spyd said...try a small area with just the polish first.  Sometimes that will do the trick.  But, even if you have to use the Spyder stuff again, I don't see a need in doing anything in particular to remove what's already there.  I've done what you're talking about many times, and it turns out fine.

The Glare guy may have better advice... :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:45:10 AM »

Thanks guys. Next time I wash it, I think I'll do the Spyder stuff on the tank again, then follow up with the polish.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.