Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Ironhorse Motorcycle Trailers  (Read 13713 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Ironhorse Motorcycle Trailers
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »

Does anyone here own one of these, and if so, how do you like it?  My wife and I would like to do some more serious traveling in the next few years, and while we would both like to have a 5th Wheel Toyhauler, you then have to buy a big a$$ed truck to pull it, get relatively poor fuel economy, not the mention the price tag of both the trailer and the tow vehicle.  So, as an alternative, I was thinking about trading (in a year or so) the car in for a new Subaru Outback Limited with the 6 cylinder (270HP/240TQ) that is rated to tow 3,000 pounds.  I've owned an Outback before, and for me, it is about the most pratical vehicle I've ever owned.  I even towed with it (mine was rated for 2K pounds) and had no issues with a load of 2K, and the newer model is even better in that regard.

The aerodynamic shape of this trailer, and the relative light weight, would be well within the capability of the Subaru, with the SERGU loaded.  Could then tow to an area we wanted to explore, park the trailer and car, and explore areas within a 250 mile radius or so.  We can stay in a lot of mom and pop motels for what it would cost to own a 5th wheel and big truck.  We could even tent camp some of the time with the cargo capabilities of both the Outback and this trailer.  Stay gone for 1-2 months then back home for a few months, then do it again.  We do not have large amounts of money to spend in our retirement years...If the housing market ever halfway bounces back, we are going to sell out, then downsize to a smaller home somewhere in the East TN area, have one vehicle and the bike, and that's it.  Simplify things as much as possible in order to have more expendable income to do what we really want to do.  We're not gettin' any younger, and time's a wastin'.

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/fliptopintro.html

Have also considered this trailer, but it's not enclosed:  http://www.baxleycompanies.com/SB001.html

Thoughts/Critisism?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
Re: Ironhorse Motorcycle Trailers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »

I have the Baxley.  Haven't used it much yet, but it is extremely easy to load and tows like a dream.  My wife is coming with me in a few weeks on a business trip of about 4k miles....I am considering bringing the bike to give it a good try.

If they got another one in after I bought, there's a Harley dealer in Huntsville that carries Baxley.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »

I had one for several years TC.  Single bike size.  It was great.  Pulled it with my little half ton V6 Chevy with no problem other than having to run in 3rd rather than 4th when in the hill.  But the truck goes down the road at like 1500 rpm in 4th so what can one expect?

Trailer and a big dresser are about even in weight.  The trailer suspension worked fine and the flip top is great.  I'd have no second thoughts about getting one again. 

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »

That looks kinda like the trailer "Bubba" has here on the site. He loves it and said you don't even know it's back there.

http://www.toycarrier.com/cruiserbiketrailer.htm

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:26:10 PM »

A neighbor of mine has one (Ironhorse), Terry...  He loves it.  He pulls it all over the country with a 1/2 ton pickup.  I don't recall what he said it weighed, but I believe it's under 900 lbs.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 11:38:40 PM »

They are great trailers! Had a friend who owned one.

SmileMaker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
    • CVO2: 97 FLSTS Blue & White
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »

Here is another light weight option.....

http://www.fibrecore.com/Motorcycle_trl..html

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 09:45:39 AM »

Does anyone here own one of these, and if so, how do you like it?  My wife and I would like to do some more serious traveling in the next few years, and while we would both like to have a 5th Wheel Toyhauler, you then have to buy a big a$$ed truck to pull it, get relatively poor fuel economy, not the mention the price tag of both the trailer and the tow vehicle.  So, as an alternative, I was thinking about trading (in a year or so) the car in for a new Subaru Outback Limited with the 6 cylinder (270HP/240TQ) that is rated to tow 3,000 pounds.  I've owned an Outback before, and for me, it is about the most pratical vehicle I've ever owned.  I even towed with it (mine was rated for 2K pounds) and had no issues with a load of 2K, and the newer model is even better in that regard.

The aerodynamic shape of this trailer, and the relative light weight, would be well within the capability of the Subaru, with the SERGU loaded.  Could then tow to an area we wanted to explore, park the trailer and car, and explore areas within a 250 mile radius or so.  We can stay in a lot of mom and pop motels for what it would cost to own a 5th wheel and big truck.  We could even tent camp some of the time with the cargo capabilities of both the Outback and this trailer.  Stay gone for 1-2 months then back home for a few months, then do it again.  We do not have large amounts of money to spend in our retirement years...If the housing market ever halfway bounces back, we are going to sell out, then downsize to a smaller home somewhere in the East TN area, have one vehicle and the bike, and that's it.  Simplify things as much as possible in order to have more expendable income to do what we really want to do.  We're not gettin' any younger, and time's a wastin'.

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/fliptopintro.html

Have also considered this trailer, but it's not enclosed:  http://www.baxleycompanies.com/SB001.html

Thoughts/Critisism?

Hey Terry. I'm a Dealer for these in Ontario. They are great units and easy to tow.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 02:01:48 PM »

Tc,

I came across this one fore sale........ This is a great trailer to haul any bike in, it pulls so smooth that you don't know it is hooked on, this trailer has very little miles on it, tires are like new, and the spare is new (still has the sticker on it) the trailer is very easy to load & unload, located in Alabama, call 205-647-8075 for info....asking price $3200  It's just like what your looking at.

I would go in a different direction, only because fiberglass can crack easy IF it gets hit by something on the highway. I like the Aluma 6 x 12 v-nose. You can even get electric brakes
if needed, and it weighs about 500/600 lbs. (All Aluminum).

The "TAZMUN"

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 02:12:11 PM »

Enclosed over open, security and a place to put all the chitncrap you collect on road trips..... ;)

Widows Son

• No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child - Shriners of America
  • Full CVO Member
  • narasimhalu.smugmug.com

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • Sanjay Narasimhalu Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »

I'm looking at these - they don't use a torsion bar bu an air ride.

http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/index.cfm/0/0/14-Hauling-Trailers

Wild 1 Chubby WO575
C&C seat
Dynojet Power Vision
Jackpot 2-1-2 header
V&H Hi-Output
J&M 250W amp + 7.25" Speakers
Chrome Agitators
Harley Goodies floorboard extensions
Wheeldock EZ-up centerstand
Klock Werks 8.5"
Boogey Lights - 126 LEDs
3M Armor
Kury LED Headlight
Brukus saddlebag & seat hardware
Gizmos: GoPro HD, SPOT

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »

I think Tc wants a trailer he can put his bike in.

The "TAZMUN"

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »

I'm looking at these - they don't use a torsion bar bu an air ride.

http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/index.cfm/0/0/14-Hauling-Trailers

These look like nice trailers. Watched the video here:

http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/index.cfm/0/0/15-Hauling-Trailer-Videos

Just a few comments. First the portion of the video where they show guys loading their bikes onto other trailers is hilarious!

Second, the company owner stated "We make the best motorcycle hauling trailers in the world". Not doubting his word, but if you purchased a motorcycle to load it on the best motorcycle hauling trailer in the world and haul it around the country, you may want to rethink your choice of hobby. Don't get me wrong. I own a two place trailer because my wife doesn't like to ride her bike longer than a few hours at a time so we trailer to a destination once a year and ride there for a week. I'm just saying, if you spend as much time, effort, and money on your trailer as you do on your bike, it's time to find another hobby.

Third, I was pleased to see there is finally a trailer worthy of being hauled behind a nice low rider with hydraulics. If you put a more powerful air compressor on this thing, you might get it to jump and dance just like your car.

Fourth, the company uses improved gas mileage as a major hook in selling this trailer. They assume you trailer your bike 5,000 miles a year. If you do, refer back to my second point.

Fifth, The announcer states "Choosing the right motorcycle trailer just might be the most important decision you'll make as a motorcycle enthusiast." Really? I guess if you make really nice trailers, that must be your view. I always thought the most important decision might have something to do with the bike you choose.

Sixth, they call their enclosed trailers the Aero Pod. Perhaps it's just something about the word pod that reminds me of a certain science fiction movie. I envision my bike going in the "pod" and some sort of alien coming out and eating me. Just a weird word association thing I guess.

As I said, these look like really, really nice trailers. I even thought I had a nice trailer and these are much, much nicer than mine. I might even have a case of trailer envy going here.

Just thought I would share my thoughts.

Good luck with the trailer hunt. Just don't buy such a nice trailer that you feel guilty if you ride your motorcycle instead of trailering it around.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:43:02 PM by Buy early »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »

Nice comments and alternatives presented....I appreciate it.  I am a person who researches things to death before purchasing, so feedback from actual users is helpful.  It will likely be after the first of the year before we get all our ducks lined up to be able to get the new Subaru, then we will look into the trailer.

Buy Early...there is no danger in my using the trailer more than riding the bike.  While I don't mind doing 4-500 mile days on the bike, I prefer not doing more than that if possible, though I have.  Really, 350 mile days are just about perfect, and less if I really want to stop and smell the roses, which is the whole purpose for visiting some areas of the country I have not yet seen, or revisiting some I have.  To get anywhere West (that I want to see) requires a minimum of 1,000 + miles just to get where I want to be.  I can cover that easily in 1.5 days in a cage, where on the bike, a comfortable pace for me and the WIFE is more like 3 days.  So, that's 6 days just to get there and back from where I want to begin exploring.  Tooling around the Southeast is not a problem, but getting to CO, NM, UT, CA, OR, WA, WY, MT, SD, etc is a pretty good trek, and we can't be gone for indefinite periods of time due to pet obligations...over time, those will go away to some extent, but right now, it's like 2 motel bills just to board the damn dogs or pay a sitter to care for mine, and board Judi's...6 dogs and a Bird combined.

Idealy, a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler and Diesel Truck...then we could just take everybody with.  Can't tell if that's in the cards at this point, so this is a reasonable alternative.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

schmoopy

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »

Do any of these trailers come with a double-axle? From personal experience, I consider this very important. We had a tire blow out on the highway ( a kind of between here and there stretch) and thanks to the double axle, the trailer stayed stable and we were able to limp off at the next exit and make it to a tire shop.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.