Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: 110" CVO Softail Build  (Read 43230 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: 110" CVO Softail Build
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »

Guess I'm a little lost, so I'm sure I didn't convey the issue correctly.  I measure the pistons at 4.0085" and the cylinders at 4.0115".  With the unfiled rings in the cylinder bore, the top rings measured .021".  Since I'm trying to get as much power as I can, I'm shooting for the .016" that Axtell recommends with the stock HD jugs.  The 2nd ring is fine as they have plenty of meat to file to get the .020" I am shooting for.  I'd like to run .016" top and .020" 2nd ring gaps.

Am I missing something?

Sounds like you've inspected the piston to cylinder fitment and found good results.   :2vrolijk_21:

My only point is I agree with Deweyheads that .021 top piston ring gap is fairly insignificant vs. the .016 spec.  If it were mine, I'd not be overly concerned by that small variance from the spec.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2013, 08:34:23 AM »

I thought about it, but I just couldn't get over setting my second ring gap at the corresponding .025" (top + .004").  When I put the top and second ring together, it looks like the second ring is a larger OD, so I'm wondering if I got 4.000" rings for the top and 4.010" rings on the second.  I'm so far into this build trying to do everything by the book, why stop being OCD now?

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2013, 09:14:29 AM »

If you got even .005" undersize rings, you would have a lot more than .021" butt clearance.  ::)
John

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »

If you got even .005" undersize rings, you would have a lot more than .021" butt clearance.  ::)
John

So where to you stand on this John?  What are your ring gaps that you would set up on a motor like this?

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »

I would go with the .021" ,and call it a day.
I see quite a few of today's engines come thru with compression ring gaps even higher......no miles to speak of on them (off the showroom floor).
John
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:17:42 AM by johnsachs »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »

.004"-.005" per inch of bore, and those are minimum dimensions.
Scott

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2013, 04:42:38 PM »

I'm keeping the stock bottom end and cylinders on this build as I'm only hoping to get one or two years out of it. 

Sorta sounds like you're good to go, especially since this build will be short-lived. :nixweiss:

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »

I finally had a day to work on the bike.  I took a week off two weeks ago and rented Ultra Glide with some buddies to Ruidoso, NM.  We ended up racking up 1600 miles.  After that, I had hell to pay at work catching  back up, so I'm just now getting back at it.

Good news is the engine is back together.  I decided to keep the gaps as they are on the top rings (.021"/.0215").  Chaz at Axtell told me to run .018" on the second, but that goes against what I have set the gap on other motors that I have build....I always run .004" larger on the second ring.  I talked to Mike at LPB and he said that he typically runs .030-0.035" in the second rings.  I decided that I've been listening to Mike most of the time, so I decided to try it.  He said by the significanly larger second gap that it helps reduce ring flutter at high RPM.  I though my .004" that I always ran was enough, but LBP said go bigger.  I set the second ring gap at .030".

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2013, 07:24:05 PM »

I fired up the motor today and did my break in heat cycles and took it for a quick trip around the block.  All I can say is HOLY CRAP!  This motor is a totally different beast from the last.  It feels extremely strong at part throttle compared to the last setup.  The Hayden primary chain tensioner made a HUGE difference.  The shifts don't sound like some took a hammer to the engine case and it goes in and out of gear a lot smoother.

After the quick ride, I did a compression check and the results have me wondering.  The front cylinder had 216 ccp and the rear had 190 ccp.  I took it for another ride and took it a little higher in the RPM and harder on the throttle to build some cylinder pressure to seat the rings.  I came back and the rear tested at 195 psi.  I'm guessing that the rear rings didn't seat as quick?  I'm done with the bike until I get it back to LBP to be dyno tuned, so hopefully on the dyno the rear cylinder will work itself out.

The whining sound in the video is the Hayden tension.  They said it would whine for up to 500 miles until the chain wears to it.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:27:48 PM by 11 CVO Convertible »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »

I fired up the motor today and did my break in heat cycles and took it for a quick trip around the block.  All I can say is HOLY CRAP! This motor is a totally different beast from the last.  It feels extremely strong at part throttle compared to the last setup.  The Hayden primary chain tensioner made a HUGE difference.  The shifts don't sound like some took a hammer to the engine case and it goes in and out of gear a lot smoother.

After the quick ride, I did a compression check and the results have me wondering.  The front cylinder had 216 ccp and the rear had 190 ccp.  I took it for another ride and took it a little higher in the RPM and harder on the throttle to build some cylinder pressure to seat the rings.  I came back and the rear tested at 195 psi.  I'm guessing that the rear rings didn't seat as quick?  I'm done with the bike until I get it back to LBP to be dyno tuned, so hopefully on the dyno the rear cylinder will work itself out.

The whining sound in the video is the Hayden tension.  They said it would whine for up to 500 miles until the chain wears to it.

Glad you are finally get this all worked out, what a set of hoops to jump through.  It is a shame that it didn't work out like it should of the first go around and that you had to have stuff corrected by another vendor to make it the way it should of been, especially when they are on here day in and day out pushing their wares.   I hope you are being reimbursed for at least part of this.   Any further thoughts on the compression situation beyond maybe the rings?  

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:13:38 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2013, 07:31:46 AM »

I know you are referring to Hillside, so don't want to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.  Hillside's knowledge, headwork and prices were great.  Hillside's stage III porting on the CVO 110 heads is a top notch porting job.  They flow excellent numbers and when the 20° dome is cut into the chamber they flow even better.  I couldn't be happier about all those things.

The coatings didn't work on a 200+ ccp build that is my fault, not Hillsides.  Now, as far as the order of the coating and valve job were performed and the bore size of the head gasket that was used is where I got frustrated.  The coating got masked off and applied with a 4.125" bore gasket.  Scott said he sent a 4" bore gasket and Swain Tech said they don't keep gaskets around there and used what was sent.  Scott quickly took the heads back to have them re-surfaced for me for no cost....again he was doing what it took to get this going for me.  After that, I found out that the coating had made it onto area of the seat and caused the valves not to seal properly.  I was asking them to work with coatings that they don't normally do, so there is always going to be hiccups.  To get this going, I just had to find someone closer than New York.

Bottom line is that I would use Hillside again for headwork....Scott and Craig know how to get a set of heads flowing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:55:42 AM by 11 CVO Convertible »

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »

x2 very well spoken... as Hillside custmer as well  with over 10,000 miles so far on build  very happy and like you i will use them again also ...
" UNBALANCE" has  thing for them ..and if you do a little research you will  see a continous effert to slam Hillside and there products ...so i have learned to take UNBLANCE post with a grain of salt 

2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »

I know you are referring to Hillside, so don't want to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.  Hillside's knowledge, headwork and prices were great.  Hillside's stage III porting on the CVO 110 heads is a top notch porting job.  They flow excellent numbers and when the 20° dome is cut into the chamber they flow even better.  I couldn't be happier about all those things.

The coatings didn't work on a 200+ ccp build that is my fault, not Hillsides.  Now, as far as the order of the coating and valve job were performed and the bore size of the head gasket that was used is where I got frustrated.  The coating got masked off and applied with a 4.125" bore gasket.  Scott said he sent a 4" bore gasket and Swain Tech said they don't keep gaskets around there and used what was sent.  Scott quickly took the heads back to have them re-surfaced for me for no cost....again he was doing what it took to get this going for me.  After that, I found out that the coating had made it onto area of the seat and caused the valves not to seal properly.  I was asking them to work with coatings that they don't normally do, so there is always going to be hiccups.  To get this going, I just had to find someone closer than New York.

Bottom line is that I would use Hillside again for headwork....Scott and Craig know how to get a set of heads flowing.

Kind words from a true gentleman. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »

I just took the plugs out of the bike and sprayed WD40  in the cylinders and did a cold compression test.  The front was 206 psi and the rear was 205 psi.  It looks like the rear cylinder didn't have enough oil.  I'm extremely relieved! 

I'll  be at LBP at 9:00 am  tomorrow morning to get it dyno tuned.  I'll  be posting results tomorrow!

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »

wooohooo  grats ...cant wait to see it all pay off for ya
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.