Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: 110" CVO Softail Build  (Read 43239 times)

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
Re: 110" CVO Softail Build
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2013, 09:50:43 PM »

oh btw your bike sounds a lot like mine at idle
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »

Got the bike dyno tuned today at LBP by Mike....bitter sweet day for me.  I think the +3 tooth clutch basket was messing with the top speed limiter, so all WOT tuning and dyno runs was done in 4th gear...not optimal for the numbers game (not my goal, but nice bragging rights).  I ended up with basically 126 hp and 108 ft-lbs.  The pipe pushed to power band to the right, so we had to spin it to 6,400 to start to see the hp start to slow it's climb, but it was still climbing.  I'm sure there is 3-5+ more hp in it with some additional rpm, but it's not worth it with my stock bottom end.  The linear hp line reminds me of a centrifical superchager motor.  Mike said that 5th gear usually ads 2-3 hp to the graph and engine synthetics are good for 1 additional (I had conventional in the bike during the dyno to get the rings seated....I already changed to oil to Mobil 1 15W-50).  I'm sure if I can get the tune switched over to my TTS so I can make a 6th gear pull, it would be very close to 130 hp.  Torque...that's another story.  I'm just lucky that I put the +3 tooth clutch basket in.  The torque curve is oddly flat.

Overall, I'm happy to have it running, but slightly disappointed in the torque.  It doesn't feel too bad with my riding style, so I'm not too concerned.  The RB pipe makes power up top and would be great for drag racing, but defiantly hurts the bottom end.  Once I get my TIG welder out of storage and moved into whatever house I buy, I'll cut the pipe up and probably make the first section of pipe 1.875" to get a little torque back down low.  The step should also help with reversion.  Might think about playing with a Bassani Road Rage in the meantime....

Either way, I'm just happy to have a bike to ride.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:17:04 AM by 11 CVO Convertible »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »

6,400 to start to see the hp start to slow it's climb, but it was still climbing.

Good sign!
Cam and pipe changes will allow you to further tune the bike to where you want it. Unfortunately costly and complex compared to the same result with more mainstream and proven parts packages.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »

we have a very similar build ... between his bike and mine ...  like the poster mention about his tq  being kinda low  I notice that as well the big difference between his and mine  are I have woods 8 cam and VH pro pipe ... he is running  wood 9 and rbs pipe   if my tq is 120 and his is only 108 I'm thinking he short at least minimum 12- 17 tq shouldn't the woods 9 produce more tq and hp   then the woods 8  if both builds  are the same
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »

we have a very similar build ... between his bike and mine ...  like the poster mention about his tq  being kinda low  I notice that as well the big difference between his and mine  are I have woods 8 cam and VH pro pipe ... he is running  wood 9 and rbs pipe   if my tq is 120 and his is only 108 I'm thinking he short at least minimum 12- 17 tq shouldn't the woods 9 produce more tq and hp   then the woods 8  if both builds  are the same

Yeah, it's the 2" primaries without steps killing me in my street application.  The 9F won't produce more torque than the 8F, but it should be good for a couple extra hp.  The 8F is a great cam from what I have read, so you picked a good one.  From everything I've read on HTT, Harley's RPM range/band is equally dictated by the pipe and the cam.  Several other 9F builds have topped around 6,000, but it must have been the pipe or heads stopping them.  I want to keep the pipe and only put 1.875" primaries out of the head, because I think it would work well like that on 117"-124" combo.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 02:33:44 PM by 11 CVO Convertible »

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »

ahhh ok makes sense to me now thanks  ;D
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2013, 06:52:14 AM »

The bike is extremely fast,  but missing the torque down low.  I've ordered an Andrews -4  degree crank gear, a Bassani B2 Road Rage pipe,  and a Power Vision tuner with the wide band auto tune package so I can retune my VE after I make changes. I've actually had the Bassani  exhaust for a while, but never put it on because I personally thought it is ugly and lacks a merge collector. I also plan to cut the stamped collector off and weld on a merge collector to see if that I worth any power/torque.

My plan is to get the exact tune I have switched over to the TTS tuner so I can dyno in 5th gear and get a baseline dyno at the Harley shop near me.  After that,  I'll switch one part at a time, retune, and re-dyno.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »

How can you bring your self to continue spending so much $$ on this.  No disrespect at all, but as I am reading this thread and my heart hurts from all the work, expense, and trial and error.  I'm just putting my self in your shews, and can't help being stressed out by it all.  :-X Hope it all works out.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »

Everything's BIGGER in Texas? ??? :nixweiss: :-\

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »

Thanks for documenting your build, impressive results.
Needless to say, I learned a lot.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »

How can you bring your self to continue spending so much $$ on this.  No disrespect at all, but as I am reading this thread and my heart hurts from all the work, expense, and trial and error.  I'm just putting my self in your shews, and can't help being stressed out by it all.  :-X Hope it all works out.

I love projects and solving problems....I love fabrication more, but my equipment is in storage right now until I find a different house.  This bike is 'holding me over'.

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »

I got my tune downloaded from the SEPST and copied over to the TTS.  The primary ratio was set to the correct ratio with the 49 tooth clutch basket.  This made a big difference in the ride-ability of the bike....it just seems smoother everywhere.

I also got my Andrews -4° crank gear.  Hopefully I can get my cranking compression up to the 210+ range with this and bring the peak power down in RPM's slightly.  Next step is to get bike dyno'd on the local dyno before I start changing stuff.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2013, 04:58:38 PM »

The bike is extremely fast,  but missing the torque down low.

It will be hard to get back what the original cam does in this motor from idle to 2,500.
I would not expect the +4 to make much difference but it is cheap enough. The pipe, cam and heads plus static compression will be the main drivers how the torque curve looks, the shape. The larger humped up torque curve the internet et-al seems to prefer can be obtainable to a certain degree but in your case you are telling the motor to run then asking it to hold back. Mixed signals. The heads have a large CSA for the amount of cubic inches. The cam has a late intake close and the compression is added to try and recapture the low end lost.
Fixing this is a lot simpler than you may think. Considering a pipe like a FatCat and a different cam like a Tman 660sm at 10.3-10.5 would be a start. Then a retune. All of that said if someone was starting from scratch there are a lot easier less costly schemes to get a 110 to run well peaking in the low 120s at 5,500 rpm with 190ccp and more gross torque under the curve.
No put down or disrespect meant to any of the companys involved in the project or to you, the owner. Your attention to detail is meticulous and appreciated.

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2013, 08:17:04 PM »

The bike is extremely fast,  but missing the torque down low.

It will be hard to get back what the original cam does in this motor from idle to 2,500.
I would not expect the +4 to make much difference but it is cheap enough. The pipe, cam and heads plus static compression will be the main drivers how the torque curve looks, the shape. The larger humped up torque curve the internet et-al seems to prefer can be obtainable to a certain degree but in your case you are telling the motor to run then asking it to hold back. Mixed signals. The heads have a large CSA for the amount of cubic inches. The cam has a late intake close and the compression is added to try and recapture the low end lost.
Fixing this is a lot simpler than you may think. Considering a pipe like a FatCat and a different cam like a Tman 660sm at 10.3-10.5 would be a start. Then a retune. All of that said if someone was starting from scratch there are a lot easier less costly schemes to get a 110 to run well peaking in the low 120s at 5,500 rpm with 190ccp and more gross torque under the curve.
No put down or disrespect meant to any of the companys involved in the project or to you, the owner. Your attention to detail is meticulous and appreciated.

Thanks for the input.  You summed up what I have learned....the hard way.  I'm just tinkering right now and using the 110 .  Right now I have a Power Vision with wide band kit, Bassani Road Rage, and the Andrews +4° crank gear.  I might cut up the RB pipe to add a step and reduce the primary size or add a merge to the Bassani.  Other than that, there won't be anymore money spent on the 110".  Right now, the tinkering is just keeping me busy.

Semi related question....why can the 662-1 with a 45° closing handle more 0.5 points compression than the 660SM with a 46° intake closing?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:41:40 PM by 11 CVO Convertible »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2013, 10:25:19 AM »

I didn't read every post, I thought you still had a 9f.
The 662-1 and 660sm are close to each other when comparing low end torque characteristics all things being equal. On the CVO head motors I prefer the LSA of the 660 a little more but we are splitting hairs.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.