Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purple bug cleaner did the job  (Read 3326 times)

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Purple bug cleaner did the job
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »

Rode back from Tampa to Miami the other week. I decided to take the 60 to Highway 27 all the way down to Alligator Alley, the 595 then home. It was a very nice sunny ride through Sebring, Lake Okeechobee, etc. All country interior Florida with nice farms, swamps, and nature. Most importantly - bugs! I was pretty well a bug splatter poster after the ride. Along the way I even had to wipe my goggles from bug splatter. I love the open road and all it brings! I don't use a windscreen on my CVO. As a bonus, no need to stop for lunch (joke).

Well, cleaning up my leather jacket was a snap, a little damp sponge. Cleaning myself up was easy to. Just a nice cold beer to top it off.

My awesome bike was pretty well coated. I sat in my garage with a few old towel bits and that purple bottle bug cleaner and I cleaned up my whole bike. I don't like using water at all. In the past, washing my bike with water, I noticed some rust in the screw heads holding it together Well, I spent about an hour and a half with the juice, elbow grease, and a few rags and my bike never came out cleaner. The apparent chrome wear was gone and it shined like new!

The bottle (I don't have it now) said it did not remove wax. It did a mean ass job of cleaning the stuff off the chrome wheels which the chrome polish didn't remove. From now on, I am not going to use a hose ever again. Squirt-squirt, wait a few minutes and shine er up. I do also keep wax on hand for the paint job and also chrome polish and protectant to keep the bike coated since the Florida roads along the beach can get salty. Maybe Windex will work well too. I imagine that would remove the wax.

Thought I'd share this. I will never go back to water for my bike. Well, I guess it depends if I get super dirty. For bug splatter, the juice works a wonder. Ride safe all.
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

inferno1976

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Road Glide 110th Anniversary #8
Re: Purple bug cleaner did the job
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:00:32 AM »

What's the name of this stuff and where do you get it.  Thanks

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »

I read up on a product called Purple Slice. Sounds like the same stuff. Haven't used any though.

hdguy1

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »

I read up on a product called Purple Slice. Sounds like the same stuff. Haven't used any though.

I use Purple Slice and it works awesome. They also have glasses cleaner and now a wax. Met the owner at Street Vibrations in Reno back in September and got some free samples too. Try it !
Vance & Hines Monster Ovals, Power Duals, FP3 Tuner

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »

For any like myself that hadn't heard of this product check out this link - Purple Slice. Those that have used it confirm that this is the correct product.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »

This stuff works really good!

My buddy turned me onto it, he gets it in large 1/2 gallon jugs.

Worth every penny for it!

Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »

Yup, I looked at the bottle. That's the stuff. Awesome stuff indeed.
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:51:02 AM »

Well I ordered a bottle to try it.  My go to cleaner besides soap and water is plain, ol' lemon Pledge.  It's what dealerships used (and still do) for years to keep the showroom product clean and purdy.  Plexus is a great product but Pledge is an inexpensive cleaner and polisher.  Hope the Purple Slice works as well and will post when I get a chance to use it.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »

Well I ordered a bottle to try it.  My go to cleaner besides soap and water is plain, ol' lemon Pledge.  It's what dealerships used (and still do) for years to keep the showroom product clean and purdy.  Plexus is a great product but Pledge is an inexpensive cleaner and polisher.  Hope the Purple Slice works as well and will post when I get a chance to use it.
They changed the formula in pledge recently though!!!!!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »

They changed the formula in pledge recently though!!!!!

True, but so far around here you can still get the plain, old lemon Pledge.  Sits right next to the new, improved formula.  I've got a few extras at the house so shouldn't run out for quite a while.  It doesn't take much anyway so a can lasts.  Still, I'm always looking for new products and am looking forward to utilizing the Purple Slice when it comes in.  As for the Plexus, I have two cans sitting on my shelf right next to the other cleaners.  They have lots of dust on the lids.... :2vrolijk_21:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »

True, but so far around here you can still get the plain, old lemon Pledge.  Sits right next to the new, improved formula.  I've got a few extras at the house so shouldn't run out for quite a while.  It doesn't take much anyway so a can lasts.  Still, I'm always looking for new products and am looking forward to utilizing the Purple Slice when it comes in.  As for the Plexus, I have two cans sitting on my shelf right next to the other cleaners.  They have lots of dust on the lids.... :2vrolijk_21:
I am going to check the shelves today then and stock up, thanks!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »

One thing Jswerve.  Make sure it's the Pledge aerasol can not the pump sprayer.  The formula is a bit different in the pump and it's not offered everywhere.  The pump sprayer is more cleaner than spray furniture wax.  Also in addition to cleaning it does polish so you have a bit of protection (not much) between waxes.  I'm sure the Purple Slice is the same but you can spray the Pledge on just about everything (metal, plastic, etc) with no adverse effects.  One thing to keep in mind is that some plexiglass windshields do not do well with Pledge so be aware of that.  Although I have never run into any windshield cleaning issues on any HD/Kawi/Suz/Hond/Yam products so far.

I'm looking forward to trying the Purple Slice when it arrives.  Also, I picked up a product in the mid '90s that was called "Qater" or something to at effect pronounced "water".  It was in a metal can and was a pink, cotton product that would put a shine (and I mean mirror) on anything aluminum.  Used it for cleaning wheels and such but can't find it anywhere anymore.  Probably not allowed by the EPA anymore... >:(  If anyone knows where this product went or what replaced it, please post. 

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 12:57:19 PM »

Just received my first bottle of Purple Slice and gotta tell ya, it works good.  Tried it on Ginger at lunch as there were a couple bugs I needed to wipe off...worked very well with little wiping and no residue.  Still like my Pledge but this Purple stuff works pretty darn good...two thumbs up... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

mitch.smith

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Drk Slate and Blk Diamond
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »

Rode back from Tampa to Miami the other week. I decided to take the 60 to Highway 27 all the way down to Alligator Alley, the 595 then home. It was a very nice sunny ride through Sebring, Lake Okeechobee, etc. All country interior Florida with nice farms, swamps, and nature. Most importantly - bugs! I was pretty well a bug splatter poster after the ride. Along the way I even had to wipe my goggles from bug splatter. I love the open road and all it brings! I don't use a windscreen on my CVO. As a bonus, no need to stop for lunch (joke).

Well, cleaning up my leather jacket was a snap, a little damp sponge. Cleaning myself up was easy to. Just a nice cold beer to top it off.

My awesome bike was pretty well coated. I sat in my garage with a few old towel bits and that purple bottle bug cleaner and I cleaned up my whole bike. I don't like using water at all. In the past, washing my bike with water, I noticed some rust in the screw heads holding it together Well, I spent about an hour and a half with the juice, elbow grease, and a few rags and my bike never came out cleaner. The apparent chrome wear was gone and it shined like new!

The bottle (I don't have it now) said it did not remove wax. It did a mean ass job of cleaning the stuff off the chrome wheels which the chrome polish didn't remove. From now on, I am not going to use a hose ever again. Squirt-squirt, wait a few minutes and shine er up. I do also keep wax on hand for the paint job and also chrome polish and protectant to keep the bike coated since the Florida roads along the beach can get salty. Maybe Windex will work well too. I imagine that would remove the wax.

Thought I'd share this. I will never go back to water for my bike. Well, I guess it depends if I get super dirty. For bug splatter, the juice works a wonder. Ride safe all.
If you will put clear coat on the screw heads it helps keep water off and rust forming!!

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 22 queries.