Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Trailer requirements  (Read 19896 times)

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
Re: Trailer requirements
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »

Tandem axle is the way to go.

Also, go with all aluminum. Lighter weight trailer means you can haul more gear and/or is less weight to tow. But also, the aluminum will not rust. Steel trailers rust out too quickly for my liking. I have a Thule cargo pro. 7' x 14' V-nose set up with condor wheel chocks. Love it. Can hold 2 full dressers and I have a nice storage cabinet built into the V-nose up front

-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »

Thanks guys, great info. I think a tandem trailer with capability to haul 2 bikes would be ideal.  :2vrolijk_21:

Cost difference for the same trailer going from one axle to two - not so bad if you were going to add brakes to your single axle. When mine was built it was $350 to add brakes or $700 for the 2 axle upgrade with brakes.

Mine is 6.5 x 12 with a V nose. It is about he absolute minimum to haul to 2 dressers.

As mentioned above, 2 axle tends to give a more stable ride, less sway and you have that extra axle for when tires have  problems.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »

I'm thinking about moving up to a two bike trailer myself. Especially if my wife ends up with a Freewheeler. Looking at 7 X 14.

I know this is a trailer thread but have to ask.....

Hey Joe, has Janet ridden one of the new Freewheelers?  Saw one at K'ville HD.  Didn't stay on the showroom long.  Very nice trike.  I like the look of the clean front and the HUGE trunk.  I think it will be a good seller for the MoCo.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »

Cost difference for the same trailer going from one axle to two - not so bad if you were going to add brakes to your single axle. When mine was built it was $350 to add brakes or $700 for the 2 axle upgrade with brakes.

Mine is 6.5 x 12 with a V nose. It is about he absolute minimum to haul to 2 dressers.

As mentioned above, 2 axle tends to give a more stable ride, less sway and you have that extra axle for when tires have  problems.
Duane that sounds perfect, got a link?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 03:24:03 PM »

Sorry Jesse, mine is a Thule, they went out of business and were bought up by someone, don't know who, but I think they are building the same trailer.

I bought the Thule because it was all aluminum with smooth sidewalls. (we live near the beach)

To add, I would not buy another 6.5 wide trailer. Just too tight with dressers, especially if you use the Wild One bars. 7, 7.5 or 8' if you want to be able to haul two full size bikes comfortably. But, for only one bike the 5 footers will do.

There can be quite a few things to think of when searching for a hauler.

Length
width
1 or 2 axles
V-nose or flat
drop axles or standard
torsion suspension or springs
lo-profile of full height - or - as I did, I ordered a lo-profile with 6" extra height added. I wanted the drop torsion suspension axles.
beavertail or not
riveted sides or smooth sides (smooth looks better, especially over time)

And there is more that comes up as you start looking.

MV 2013

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »

Sorry Jesse, mine is a Thule, they went out of business and were bought up by someone, don't know who, but I think they are building the same trailer.

I bought the Thule because it was all aluminum with smooth sidewalls. (we live near the beach)

To add, I would not buy another 6.5 wide trailer. Just too tight with dressers, especially if you use the Wild One bars. 7, 7.5 or 8' if you want to be able to haul two full size bikes comfortably. But, for only one bike the 5 footers will do.

There can be quite a few things to think of when searching for a hauler.

Length
width
1 or 2 axles
V-nose or flat
drop axles or standard
torsion suspension or springs
lo-profile of full height - or - as I did, I ordered a lo-profile with 6" extra height added. I wanted the drop torsion suspension axles.
beavertail or not
riveted sides or smooth sides (smooth looks better, especially over time)

And there is more that comes up as you start looking.

Ok now I have a headache!  :confused5:   :huepfenlol2:

I'm thinking this would be perfect!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-7x12-HAULMARK-LOW-HAULER-7-x-12-Enclosed-Cargo-Two-Bike-Motorcycle-Trailer-/141437813696?pt=Trailers&hash=item20ee59c3c0
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:32:56 PM by Jswerve »

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 03:34:45 PM »

I'm thinking about moving up to a two bike trailer myself. Especially if my wife ends up with a Freewheeler. Looking at 7 X 14.

Joe, if you guys are looking at a trike, I'm thinking 7' will not cut it! If you remember, Mike and I had a 7 x 14 aluminum at MV, and you only have maybe 6/8" between bikes, and a trike is MUCH wider! Just my 2 cents!!!

tazmun
The "TAZMUN"

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »

On the trike thoughts - keep in mind that a 7-8 wide trailer has "inside" fenders as well as outside. How much so depends on the axle type, drop or standard.

Prior to ordering my trailer, I took the bike to the shop and did some test fitting. I would suggest the same if dealing with trikes.

MV 2013

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 04:06:35 PM »

Ok now I have a headache!  :confused5:   :huepfenlol2:

I'm thinking this would be perfect!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-7x12-HAULMARK-LOW-HAULER-7-x-12-Enclosed-Cargo-Two-Bike-Motorcycle-Trailer-/141437813696?pt=Trailers&hash=item20ee59c3c0
Jess, that is a steel trailer. "If" you want to look at an open trailer may I suggest an Aluma MC10. Aluma also makes all kinds of aluminum trailers too! They are made in your home state along with one of their largest dealers, Thomas Bus.
The MC10 is extremely light too. Chip (SBB) has one, and I had one in the past, and soon to have another. Gas mileage is not effected as much as enclosed, and when I had mine I didn't loose more than 2/3 at speed.
Just another thing to look at!

tazmun
The "TAZMUN"

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 04:19:47 PM »

Good trailer supplier in Middle TN is BJ's.  Dont know that they have a lot of the specialty aluminum but have a lot of other stuff related to trailers.  They build the steel open trailers there at their location and carry several enclosed trailers.  Just thought you may want to see their site:  http://www.bjtrailers.com/
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 04:35:04 PM »

I haul my RGC and CVO Deluxe in a 6x12 V-nose.  It is too tight so I just sold it.  Planning on getting a new 7x14 V-nose dual axle, drop axle.  Also planning on getting "Biker Bars" instead of Condor wheel chocks.  The Biker Bar attaches to the frame and the bike does not move (bounce around) at all.  IMHO even with the best wheel chock and suspension compressed as much as you want, the bike still moves.  With the biker bar, it does not move at all. 

Just my .02 cents

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 04:52:41 PM »

Joe

I have a 7X14 Haulmark.
I bought a 7X12 and when I went to pick it up it was a 7X14.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=19111.0
As I have found out, there are dummies everywhere, this guy didn't know what he had.
I have doubts if your bike and a Freelander would fit in a 7X12.
It may fit in a 7X14 but you will have to shove your bike all the way to the front on the left side and then the Freelander will sit closer to the rear on the right.

Not that it helps you but I also have an Aluma MC-10. I used the Haulmark last week and was reminded how much I like the lightweight Aluma. Aluma also makes a model for a trike and a MC-210 for two bikes. I used the Aluma this weekend to bring home the scooters from Maggie Valley for the winter. It only weighs 390 lbs. and pulls like a dream. Good luck Joe in what you decide. With the Haulmark, the Aluma and the Bushtec I'm trailer rich. (or trailer poor, depends on the perspective)

SBB

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:17:12 PM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »

Lots of good advice here, as usual. I bought a trailer about ten years ago to haul the bike and the kids to Colorado. Then dump the kids off on the family so we could ride for a few days. It's a 7X12 Pace MC edition, so it has the torsion suspension, flow thru ventilation, tandem axle. The one regret is that it's NOT a V-nose. Might as well put a sail on it. I don't use it enough to justify buying a new one, but if I did, V-nose would be first on my list.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 06:55:27 PM »

Joe any good leads so far?

Jessie - There are a couple of fairly big trailer dealers close to me and at this point I'm just window shopping. A 7X14 tandem axle v-nose trailer is $3500 at the place closest to me. I'm not sure of the brand but it's a well built unit, but definitely not aluminum.

Chip & Taz- It's going to be after the first of the year before I do anything and I would definitely trial fit the bikes before I put out the money. Step one is getting Janet out on the bike to see if she's going to like it.

Howard -  Janet hasn't rode it yet but she has sat on it, and it fits her nice. I'm hoping to get her on a test ride in the near future but I have a couple of obstacles to overcome first.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:57:17 PM by JoeVibe »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »

Jess, that is a steel trailer. "If" you want to look at an open trailer may I suggest an Aluma MC10. Aluma also makes all kinds of aluminum trailers too! They are made in your home state along with one of their largest dealers, Thomas Bus.
The MC10 is extremely light too. Chip (SBB) has one, and I had one in the past, and soon to have another. Gas mileage is not effected as much as enclosed, and when I had mine I didn't loose more than 2/3 at speed.
Just another thing to look at!

tazmun

Damn I gotta at least entertain that being here in Iowa. Thanks Taz  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks everyone, so many options. I need to really narrow it down now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.