Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: After a few days on the Spiced Rum  (Read 7871 times)

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum
After a few days on the Spiced Rum
« on: March 30, 2010, 08:10:58 PM »

Now that I've ridden it for 5 days straight I figure it's worth doing an initial review and mod list.

The bike has plenty of power and rides very well with the preload set at 8 turns.  I'm a big boy at 270# give or take and 8 turns works well for me.  When my wife and I ride two up I give it a couple more turns and the ride is phenomenal.  I'm really surprised how well it handles two up.  I've ridden my dad's 08 Road King Classic a little, but most of my recent experience is on a 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100.  One up on that bike was fun, but two up with both our big behinds (I love a woman with a little meat) on it was not good.  It was spongy in the corners and low speed handling was bad since she sat up so much higher than I did.  One complaint is the sound.  It sounds like an under powered lawn mower running and I'm almost embarrassed to rev it up at any time.  The windshield looks great on the bike, but I want to ride the bike so it's got to go.  I get buffeting at speeds over 55 or so.  70+ the buffeting is unbearable.  It rattles my head so much I can hardly see if the wind is right.  I already ordered a dark smoke Clearview 8" recurve so I'll report back on that when I get it.  Overall, I'm very happy with the bike.  I'd been hoping they'd come out with a SESG in 2010 for a couple years now.  When I laid eyes on the SR in August I knew I had to have one.  Everything worked out and my dealer told me she was getting her last one in March or early April so I got my name on it and finally picked it up on 3/26.  

It has been pretty cool here since I picked it up, but it was almost 80 today and while the heat was not bothersome today, it was noticeable. I'll report back when it really warms up into the 90s and 100s, but maybe it won't be a problem....*crosses fingers* I noticed when I stop the top of the head touches the inside of my leg sometimes and it is pretty hot.  Doesn't burn me though my jeans, but it doesn't feel good.  I'm going to look into those covers that come on the Ultras for this.

Here she is on pickup day!  I haven't been able to think of a name yet though.  

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:20:56 PM by dustingaunder »
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Clearview 8" Smoke Recurve
Nice and Simple!

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

Re: A few days on the Spiced Rum
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »

As for mods, I already mentioned the windshield.  I'm also considering matching passenger floorboards and moving the pegs to the engine guards.  That one depends on the wife and how she feels about the pegs on a longer trip.  Just around town she likes them OK, but my money is on our first out of town trip she'll start dropping hints about them.  I am probably going to do the HID head lamp as well.  It is ok, but I'd like it a little brighter. 

My biggest question I guess is the pipes.  I really need to address the sound of this bike.  I don't want to blast my sound at everyone, but a little more grumble would make my lawn mower jealous instead of the other way around.  I'm wanting to get the Fullsac 2" baffles and remove the catalytic converter.  No big deal, it probably won't take any time to do these two tasks one rainy weekend this spring.  My concern is tuning.  I really don't want to drop the $$ on a SERT or PC-V.  Will the stock tuning properly adjust for the increased flow or will I have to break down and get the computer?
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Nice and Simple!

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
Re: After a few days on the Spiced Rum
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »

Well  we also got to ride today, 375 miles, total now 600,  She looks good after a long day.....bike not bad either  :huepfenjump3:

Anyway , couple of things:

Windshield : the new Harley shield is not much better, will have X-Screen this week to test.

Sound: cant not hear at 70 plus, not sure if it's me, the windshield, or the speakers, My thoughts are I need the new J&M and an new amp set up.
and yes the pipes suck, I think I am riding my Yamaha...

Need floor boards for her if we are doing any long two up, but that's what the Ultra is for , this bike is to be my one up bike  :pepper:
and can't wait for the Corbin Seat.

Also she wants a higher backrest.

But on a good thing, WOW even babying the bike for break in, the power is great , cant wait to cut it loose. speeds where between 70-80 on I95 riding from West Palm Beach back to Daytona mileage was about 30mpg
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:54:07 PM by Georgehjr »
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: A few days on the Spiced Rum
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:11:03 PM »

As for mods, I already mentioned the windshield.  I'm also considering matching passenger floorboards and moving the pegs to the engine guards.  That one depends on the wife and how she feels about the pegs on a longer trip.  Just around town she likes them OK, but my money is on our first out of town trip she'll start dropping hints about them.  I am probably going to do the HID head lamp as well.  It is ok, but I'd like it a little brighter. 

My biggest question I guess is the pipes.  I really need to address the sound of this bike.  I don't want to blast my sound at everyone, but a little more grumble would make my lawn mower jealous instead of the other way around.  I'm wanting to get the Fullsac 2" baffles and remove the catalytic converter.  No big deal, it probably won't take any time to do these two tasks one rainy weekend this spring.  My concern is tuning.  I really don't want to drop the $$ on a SERT or PC-V.  Will the stock tuning properly adjust for the increased flow or will I have to break down and get the computer?

If you're going to change out the pipes and mufflers, then yes, you'll need to retune the bike, it is already running lean and with the freer flowing exhaust, it will run even more lean.  The stock ECM map will not be able to compensate for that much change.  You'd probably be okay if you just change the mufflers and leave the stock headers on, but you'll still be running lean and hotter.  Get the tuner and get it set up right.
:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:14:49 PM »

Congratulations on the new bike send us some photos of the mods as you do them
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »

I found these rattling in the fork sliders.  Anyone that's been in the fairing know where they go?  Can I ride the bike with them out? How difficult is the front of the fairing to get off?  They're probably 1/4" or 5/16".

2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Nice and Simple!

Briancvo

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 06:12:02 AM »

not sure where they go,but i had the front fairing off this weekend as i did a mirror
modification. It is very easy, loosen 3-screws at the windshield trim and pull windshield
up and off. there are 4 screws on the inside two near your mirrors & two hiding down near the forks.
the last two are a little tricky to get your fingers down in there to get them started when reinstalling.
Once all 7 screws are out the fairing will tip foward (so protect the front fender.) with the fairing tipped
foward unplug the two light plugs,and your off...
BRIAN
2010 SESG SPICE RUM
SHADLEY BROS CUSTOM PAINT
RUM PAINTED ELIMINATOR PLATE & TAILIGHT
V&H POWER DUALS & V&H BASIC SLIP-ONS
SCREAMING EAGLE RACE TUNER
SCREAMING EAGLE HEAVY BREATHER
HAWG WIRED AMP & SPEAKERS
RIDERS CLAW
LIGHTED MIRROR COVERS CHROME

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:21:58 AM »

I found out they are the nuts that hold the gauges in the dash.  I'll take it off today when I get home and get them back together so I can ride again. I just hope I didn't lose any more of them.
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Nice and Simple!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:02:49 AM »

You guys just getting your bikes might want to consider the Fullsac baffles (makes em sound like a Harley without being obnoxious) and the Hog Pod tweeters that mount on the dash.  You'll be able to hear your bike and the stereo.....even at 80 mph.  You will have to retune your bike though (which means you'll need a tuner also).

Congratulations on the new rides, guys. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »

You guys just getting your bikes might want to consider the Fullsac baffles (makes em sound like a Harley without being obnoxious) and the Hog Pod tweeters that mount on the dash.  You'll be able to hear your bike and the stereo.....even at 80 mph.  You will have to retune your bike though (which means you'll need a tuner also).

Congratulations on the new rides, guys. :2vrolijk_21:

What's your opinion of getting the new J&M speakers and there amp set up instead?
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:03:17 AM »

Why won't the bike compensate for the baffle change in closed loop?

What all needs to be done to retune the bike?  I don't think my dealer has a dyno.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:09:54 AM by dustingaunder »
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Nice and Simple!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »

Why won't the bike compensate for the baffle change in closed loop?

What all needs to be done to retune the bike?  I don't think my dealer has a dyno.

Purchase the baffles and TTS mastertune from Steve at fullsac and he will provide you with a dynoed map he made from bikes he has had in his shop with the same mods as you.

dustingaunder

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »

Is that better than going with the SERT?
2010 FLHXSE w/
Fullsac X-Pipe 'B'
2.0 Baffles
TTS Tune
Nice and Simple!

worshipduder

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »

IMO yes
2010 FLXHSE Candy Concord
V&H Power Duals
V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons
TTS Mastertune
Feuling Reaper 574 Camchest Kit
Feuling Oil Pump
Dyno'd at 116 HP & 118 TQ
C&C Flame Stitched Seat
Wild 1 Chubby 575s
PM Contour Touring Mirrors
J&M 7.25 Speakers & 250 Watt Amp
Hogtunes Hogpod
Riders Claw
HD Contoured Heated Hand Grips
Wicked Image Flame Shift Linkage
Klock Werks Flare 8.5
HD Electra-Glo™ Light Pod Kit
Kury License Plate

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »

Is that better than going with the SERT?

Much better....and Steve is very helpful should you have any questions......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.