Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: CVO restricted parts purchase  (Read 21963 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
CVO restricted parts purchase
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »

I just called the dealer about purchasing a replacement part.  I was told that it is a restricted part and that in order to make the purchase, the original part needs to be returned to Harley within 30 days of purchase, of the dealer is fined $5000.  This is not even a painted part.  I think that's a load of crap.  How can they get away with that?  If you slightly scratch something and want to replace it, but keep the original part just in case you do it again, but even worse, and want to put the original back on, since you realize it's not worth replacing it over and over...what gives them the right to take your part back?  Yes, they are protecting the CVO owners from seeing other bikes out there with the same parts we have, but this is an utterly ridiculous policy.  Does anyone know if this is completely accurate, or is the dealer giving me a load of bull?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: CVO restricted parts purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:23:18 AM »

This has been past practice for some CVO specific parts.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:23:45 AM »

have often heard simmilar, depending on what you are trying to replace you may be able to try the it fell off while riding excuse ( no part to return  ;) )
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:42:54 AM »

have often heard simmilar, depending on what you are trying to replace you may be able to try the it fell off while riding excuse ( no part to return  ;) )

I thought of that idea, but it's the general issue that's got me irked.  Look at an example:  let's say you scrape your left floorboard to the point that it's noticeable.  Your bike is only a few months old and you decide that you would like to replace it and try not to scrape the new one.  Well, you get it and you scrape it up even worse and decide that you want to put the original back one, since it's not quite as bad.  You decide that it's not worth replacing these floorboards with new ones every few months.  But Harley says you can't keep your old ones, even though you just paid full price to replace them.  Again, I think that's a load of crap.

Suppose you decide to replace your mirrors because you put a little scratch on one.  Then you get new mirrors and drop your bike, and really screw up  the same mirror.  At some point, you just say "I'll live with the little scratch" and put the original back on.  Harley won't let you do that?  Where did they get the power to do something like this?

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »

I guess it depends on the part.  They would not let me buy the strip on the back of the TP but I retained my old tank and lowers when I had them replaced.  Go figure !!
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:26:30 PM »

I would like to get the screamin eagle decal that the US get on their bikes as standard ( on the tail pack lights ) but it`s real hard to get or impossible.
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »

See
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »

Most of the parts that are "restricted" would be ones that you can't get from the P/A book that specifically belong to the CVO/SE bikes. When my bike was only a few weeks old the orange tape/paint that is in the derby cover saying "Screamin' Eagle" started peeling off. The MoCo replaced the part under warranty, but I had to turn the old part back in (was given the same reason as the original post in this thread). So I guess it all depends on how you look at it... on one hand they are trying to keep the CVO/SE parts exclusive to the CVO/SE bikes that came w/them... on another hand they are saying you can't keep something you've paid for.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:07:55 PM »

I thought of that idea, but it's the general issue that's got me irked.  Look at an example:  let's say you scrape your left floorboard to the point that it's noticeable.  Your bike is only a few months old and you decide that you would like to replace it and try not to scrape the new one.  Well, you get it and you scrape it up even worse and decide that you want to put the original back one, since it's not quite as bad.  You decide that it's not worth replacing these floorboards with new ones every few months.  But Harley says you can't keep your old ones, even though you just paid full price to replace them.  Again, I think that's a load of crap.

Suppose you decide to replace your mirrors because you put a little scratch on one.  Then you get new mirrors and drop your bike, and really screw up  the same mirror.  At some point, you just say "I'll live with the little scratch" and put the original back on.  Harley won't let you do that?  Where did they get the power to do something like this?
Floor boards and mirrors are not VIN protected. You can order those just as any other part. The only difference might be, that CVO's may have a new "collection" a bit earlier than it is available for general release. So a little patience may help.

The typical VIN protected parts are the parts which say "CVO", "Screamin' Eagle", "110", or similar and the parts painted in CVO specification colors. I can live with that.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »

I would like to get the screamin eagle decal that the US get on their bikes as standard ( on the tail pack lights ) but it`s real hard to get or impossible.
I have ordered those for my '08 SEUC and also now for the new '09 SEUC. No problem at all, took one day longer than the painted set for the lights. Your dealer should be able to get them for you!

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »

... on another hand they are saying you can't keep something you've paid for.

Okay, d00d.... but if this was a w....ty replacement, you only paid for one (1)! They're taking back the bad one and leaving you with the good one. In this particular case, that is no different than any other w....ty replacement.

On the other hand, if I *pay* out of pocket to replace a part, I won't be too happy about surrendering the part being replaced. In this case, I paid for both of them...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »

Okay, d00d.... but if this was a w....ty replacement, you only paid for one (1)! They're taking back the bad one and leaving you with the good one. In this particular case, that is no different than any other w....ty replacement.

On the other hand, if I *pay* out of pocket to replace a part, I won't be too happy about surrendering the part being replaced. In this case, I paid for both of them...
I think we are saying the same thing. :nixweiss: I don't think that is right either.

If you bring in a damaged part (to prove you are not trying to get extras to sell good/new parts) then I think that would suffice... not like someone would buy a damaged CVO part just to have it on their bike. At least I wouldn't. I can see/appreciate why they would want to keep some parts exclusive to just the CVO's... how else can they justify charging us all that extra $$$ them. ::) ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »

Floor boards and mirrors are not VIN protected. You can order those just as any other part. The only difference might be, that CVO's may have a new "collection" a bit earlier than it is available for general release. So a little patience may help.

The typical VIN protected parts are the parts which say "CVO", "Screamin' Eagle", "110", or similar and the parts painted in CVO specification colors. I can live with that.

Ride safely,
Louis

Those were simply examples that I thought everyone would be able to see the point on.  I know that all parts are not restricted, but the entire point is that if I am paying for it twice, they are both mine to keep.  Like someone else said above, you should be able to show the dealer that your part is damaged and that's it.  There isn't a real big market for damaged parts.

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:37:27 PM »

I had the same issue trying to buy a new air cleaner for my bike. I could buy everything except the logo in the center of the unit which said CVO 110, to get that part I had to have an old part to turn in or a police report which said it was stolen. Other wise the dealer was on the hook for 5K just as your dealer told you...Their justification was that they did not want other people using the CVO parts on non-CVO bikes to make them look like the CVO....Sad but true situation.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »

I had the same issue trying to buy a new air cleaner for my bike. I could buy everything except the logo in the center of the unit which said CVO 110, to get that part I had to have an old part to turn in or a police report which said it was stolen. Other wise the dealer was on the hook for 5K just as your dealer told you...Their justification was that they did not want other people using the CVO parts on non-CVO bikes to make them look like the CVO....Sad but true situation.

But I can replace any part on my bike with a non-CVO part and sell the CVO part to anyone, and there's nothing they can do to stop that.  I think it's not only kind of ridiculous, but I don't remember signing anything that says that I agree to give them back a part if I replace mine with the same one.  Something about this just doesn't seem legal.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »

But I can replace any part on my bike with a non-CVO part and sell the CVO part to anyone, and there's nothing they can do to stop that.  I think it's not only kind of ridiculous, but I don't remember signing anything that says that I agree to give them back a part if I replace mine with the same one.  Something about this just doesn't seem legal.

Who knows, it probably isn't legal.  But legalities haven't stopped the MoCo in the past from trying to force people to use their products for maintenance, or from denying warranty coverage over bogus "modifications" or alleged abuse.  They seem to have a corporate philosophy of doing as they please and forcing the consumer to fight them.  Until someone actually does fight them over this policy nothing will change.

I can see requiring a dealer to submit the VIN number the part is being ordered for, to prevent dealers from stocking restricted parts and selling them to anyone walking in off the street, but that doesn't insure the parts won't get into the hands of the wrong folks.  As much as I hate to say it, there probably are a few dishonest Harley dealerships out there that would just use any CVO VIN to order parts they would then sell to anyone off the street. As some have discussed on this site in the past, people have used other folks VIN's to order parts for their non-CVO bikes.  Without sending the original part back, I don't know of a way to control this.  If anyone has a better idea to control the so-called exclusive parts, please submit it here and directly to the MoCo.  In the meantime, feel free to sue them when they won't sell you a part unless you give them the old one.  Until someone does so, they will continue to do as they see fit.

btw, you could always remove the subject part and then ride over to the dealer and try to convince them the part fell off.  It would be a little tough to do with a fuel tank, but a badge from an air cleaner or tour pak could fall off or be stolen quite easily.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »

Who knows, it probably isn't legal.  But legalities haven't stopped the MoCo in the past from trying to force people to use their products for maintenance, or from denying warranty coverage over bogus "modifications" or alleged abuse.  They seem to have a corporate philosophy of doing as they please and forcing the consumer to fight them.  Until someone actually does fight them over this policy nothing will change.

I can see requiring a dealer to submit the VIN number the part is being ordered for, to prevent dealers from stocking restricted parts and selling them to anyone walking in off the street, but that doesn't insure the parts won't get into the hands of the wrong folks.  As much as I hate to say it, there probably are a few dishonest Harley dealerships out there that would just use any CVO VIN to order parts they would then sell to anyone off the street. As some have discussed on this site in the past, people have used other folks VIN's to order parts for their non-CVO bikes.  Without sending the original part back, I don't know of a way to control this.  If anyone has a better idea to control the so-called exclusive parts, please submit it here and directly to the MoCo.  In the meantime, feel free to sue them when they won't sell you a part unless you give them the old one.  Until someone does so, they will continue to do as they see fit.

btw, you could always remove the subject part and then ride over to the dealer and try to convince them the part fell off.  It would be a little tough to do with a fuel tank, but a badge from an air cleaner or tour pak could fall off or be stolen quite easily.

Jerry

I would think that verification by the dealer with photographic evidence of the damaged part should be sufficient, and that information should be retained with the VIN number for any subsequent restricted parts purchases for that VIN.  At that time, photographic evidence would also be needed to show that the new part was, in fact, installed on that bike.  Harley could set their own standards on the extent of the damages to the part, with anything considered to be a minor blemish requiring a buy back of the part by Harley.  I could see selling the part back to Harley, obviously for a greatly reduced price, but not just giving it to them.  The obvious problem with that idea is that they would incorporate that buyback price into all of the parts, and we'd see the prices of parts go even higher across the board.  Maybe they should just require us all to attend a lecture when we buy a CVO, explaining in detail how the distribution of CVO parts to other non-CVO bikes lowers our resale value.  But then some people just don't even get it after being hit in the head with a hammer.  Well, I found out that they do it this way, I'm displeased with it, and life goes on.  Tomorrow will be filled with daylight, followed by widely scattered darkness at night.  I guess I've got bigger worries in life.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »

wife has an 05 se fatboy (red).  had the front fender exchanged under warrantee, due to a rust spot showing up on the brushed metal under the clearcoat.  one month later to the day,  she hit a yellow pole at local service station.  dealer ordered a  new fender,   at my cost,   no questions asked, and we still have the old fender.  dealer did not even ask to see it.

SO ,  I believe it just depends on your rapour with your dealer.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 11:20:14 PM »

Not to add fuel to the fire but You can only order 1 Vin restricted part in a 12 calender mo. in a yr meaning you couldn't order the same item every mo.

The reason is I found this out is when my dealer had to replace a few things on my cuse4,they had put in a new screamin eagle decal in the tourpac(the one that goes between the brake lights )and messed it up bad.The dealers parts manager had to go through hoops and paper work,call his rep ,they had to call H-d  someware,they had to document and explain what happend and so on an so on.It took over three weeks to get this part in.The parts manager felt really bad and also was a learning curve for him.Even he couldn't believe the amount of B/s there is with these bikes to get parts,In all his yrs with Harley  he was speechless

Jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member
  • formerly known as "UpChuck82"

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 01:20:22 AM »

I completely agree with all of your points 1abastarsmda.

I put $$ down on my bike at the dealer back in late January.  It was already there.  There were two issues with the paint, one on the outer fairing, one on the front fender.  They said the parts had already been ordered as they caught them on their inspection (all under warranty of course).  It was mid-winter here in Nebraska, I'm not riding any time soon, and once you take delivery our 30-day window starts to pay the sales tax or penalties start adding up.  I told them I don't want it until it's done. The fairing came in within a couple weeks, but no fender.  After a while I started pressing about what's going on.  Come to find out the MoCo had a record of 2 fenders being ordered for it, so they shut both orders down completely w/o notifying the dealer (story I was told).  After the dealer got it straightened out, they said 2 weeks until the fender would ship.  Should be in next week.

Okay, I'll be the arse...what part are you talking about?  :confused5:   (I know, I know, it IS
the principle, but I had to ask.)
2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
Arlen Ness Big Sucker (Chrome Backplate) w/ KN Filter
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 01:39:13 AM »

I had my front fender replaced...I found a dent on at the night I took it home.  It took about 3 weeks to get it, from what I remember.  The dealer didn't want to replace it at all, because they told me the dent wasn't big enough.  I told them it was big enough for me to go find a bike at a different dealer...I have a new fender now.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I asked about the original fender and they told me they had to send it back to Harley, but then this was a warranty claim, not an outright purchase of a part.

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 02:09:34 AM »

I did ask if I could keep the original fairing and fender...and they politely said they HAD to send it back to the MoCo.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »

yes my outer fairing had to be replace also,how or wear was yours bad,mine was in the silver and  a chunk of the pinstrip was gone :o and the silver was bleading through the dark silver,gray marble color.I now see that mine wasn't the only one  ;)  my fairing also went back no if ands or buts

jon
freedom shields 13 in

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »

yes my outer fairing had to be replace also,how or wear was yours bad,mine was in the silver and  a chunk of the pinstrip was gone :o and the silver was bleading through the dark silver,gray marble color.I now see that mine wasn't the only one  ;)  my fairing also went back no if ands or buts

jon

The fairing had a v-shaped scratch on the upper left side kinda next to the Rumble windshield trim.  It was on the surface, not too deep.  I can't recall where the fender was messed up...was just glad THEY caught it and were on top of getting it replaced.  They had also discovered a blemish in the chrome of the outer primary cover, which got replaced as well.  I'm gonna make them put it up on a lift to fully inspect it once I finally get to take delivery (maybe next week)  :)

Seems the MoCo's quality inspections are a little lacking, especially for their most expensive line of bikes  >:(
Unless they were damaged in packing/shipping/unpacking, etc., but it doesn't sound like yours was.  Sure seems to be a lot of issues from reading this site.  But, we are mainly seeing the negative stuff here...few spout off about the good things.

SERT
SE Slip-Ons

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
    • NJ

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 09:46:05 PM »

yes it shouldn't happen but it is/does,as long as they make good on it is all that matters,all my stuff was under the clearcoat,so far I was concerned it was no if and or butts ;)

all is good

Jon

just need some better weather with no snow in forcast so I can ride ;D
freedom shields 13 in

mark kal

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 09:08:55 AM »

i got a new fender for my 05 cvo fatboy and was never asked for the old one!

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »

If they made CVO parts easily available. People might just use that to make there own knock over CVO. I think that as long as you prove you are truly a CVO Owner they should work with you. Especially if you are buying the replacement part yourself and not replacing through warranty or anything like that. It might also depend on the dealer and how well that they know you also.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 10:25:06 AM »

Most of the parts that are "restricted" would be ones that you can't get from the P/A book that specifically belong to the CVO/SE bikes. When my bike was only a few weeks old the orange tape/paint that is in the derby cover saying "Screamin' Eagle" started peeling off. The MoCo replaced the part under warranty, but I had to turn the old part back in (was given the same reason as the original post in this thread). So I guess it all depends on how you look at it... on one hand they are trying to keep the CVO/SE parts exclusive to the CVO/SE bikes that came w/them... on another hand they are saying you can't keep something you've paid for.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Interesting.  Jim recently ordered the Screamin Eagle derby cover for Terrie's bike.  Didn't have to turn the old one in.  When I wrecked my bike they replaced much of the chrome parts and all the paint, tank, etc. and it was all given back to me in boxes (the same boxes that the new parts were shipped in).  Of course there wasn't going to be anybody putting that on a bike again.  Maybe photos of the parts (showing all the damage) sufficed.  It would certainly be cheaper than shipping all the parts back.:nixweiss:

But then again........I wonder if dealerships do that just to resale the take offs on ebay or craigslist, to custom painters, etc.. :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:26:58 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »

In this context: Can anyone send me the parts number for the Rumble Collection - Windshield Trim as installed on the '09 SEUC?
Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

mrsoftail6969

• Ride Hard
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 11:24:09 AM »

I have a buddy of mine who has had clear coat issues. He contacted the dealer and the moco direct to try to get the parts replaced under warranty with no luck. He took all his painted parts to a custom painter who said the clear coat was not applied properly and was also extremely thin. He even offered to pay to have his old parts repainted by the moco. He was told the only recourse would be to buy new painted parts and they are restricted and he would have to send in the old parts to get new ones. His complaint is, if you must return the old parts and pay FULL price for the new parts you should get some refund for the "core" parts you are returning. The old parts are in fact yours and you already paid for them. Why should you pay full price for new parts and give the old parts away and get nothing for them. Come on!!!!!!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »

Interesting.  Jim recently ordered the Screamin Eagle derby cover for Terrie's bike.  Didn't have to turn the old one in.  When I wrecked my bike they replaced much of the chrome parts and all the paint, tank, etc. and it was all given back to me in boxes (the same boxes that the new parts were shipped in).  Of course there wasn't going to be anybody putting that on a bike again.  Maybe photos of the parts (showing all the damage) sufficed.  It would certainly be cheaper than shipping all the parts back.:nixweiss:

But then again........I wonder if dealerships do that just to resale the take offs on ebay or craigslist, to custom painters, etc.. :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
Does it say "Screamin' Eagle" or "Screamin' Eagle 103"? The ones our our bikes says "Screamin' Eagle 103"

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 06:17:03 PM »

If its a warranty they have a right to get the parts back, in fact that part belongs to them. If I buy it, the old part is mine, no question. Do you guys really believe a dealer would pay a fine for selling a part? Be realistic. Harley can not charge you for a part, full price, and ask you to send in the old part. This is  the stealer doing this. All that is really needed is the s/n of the bike the part is ordered for. I caught the dealer here with a Air Filter insert that was warrantied off my 05 SEEG that he had to return, just had to. Then it showed up on the tech who installed it's bike at bikenite a couple weeks later ( I had scratched it where the paint came off the lettering and when he repainted the lettering he didn't get the scratch covered good) I didn't care because I had a new one, but I did point it out to the owner of the dealer that this was going on, they just smiled.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 03:44:00 AM »

I just bought the color inseret for an 04 b/b dash.  40.00 part and they would not order it for me without a vin.  I wasn't really too upset when they asked me for it,   I was kind of glad to see that HD is trying to protect us and them from the imposters. Took only 3 days for it to show up too. :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:43:17 PM by cvostu »

idzin

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 08:40:01 AM »

Just yesterday I was tried to order a new front fender and a left rear fender support for my 04 SED and was told I had to turn in the old parts WHEN I PLACED THE ORDER....then 6 - 8 weeks delivery....so what am i supposed to do....drive around without a fender for two months?...THATS RIDICULOUS...Although the dealer was offering a 20% discount

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2009, 08:42:44 AM »

Just yesterday I was tried to order a new front fender and a left rear fender support for my 04 SED and was told I had to turn in the old parts WHEN I PLACED THE ORDER....then 6 - 8 weeks delivery....so what am i supposed to do....drive around without a fender for two months?...THATS RIDICULOUS...Although the dealer was offering a 20% discount
Now that's a first.... you may want to check with another dealer I'll have to call that BS. I've had restricted parts replaced and they were ordered and upon arrival/install the old parts were kept.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

idzin

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »

I figured as much....I was also purchasing $3300 in parts...I checked with most of the local dealers and this one was offering the best discount...I guess for that size of an order I should look at dealers further out...

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 10:24:56 AM »

I can understand the rationale of restricting specific SE parts, but it's very frustrating when you can't purchase an SE part for an SE motorcycle.

I bought a 2009 SE Road Glide, then spent a pile of money buying a docking kit, 2 up detachable Tour Pak mount, King Tour Pak, rear speakers, premium Tour Pak rack, and the auxiliary tail/brake light kit for the Tour Pak. I then try to purchase a Screamin Eagle insert for between the lights on the Tour Pak. The Parts Manager at a local dealer tells me that I CAN'T buy the insert because it's a restricted SE part number. I politely tell him that I have a Screamin Eagle motorcycle and that I can provide a serial number, and that I can bring in my bike to prove it. I am told that because my $40k Screamin Eagle Road Glide didn't come with a Tour Pak, I can't buy the part.

This is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »

I can understand the rationale of restricting specific SE parts, but it's very frustrating when you can't purchase an SE part for an SE motorcycle.

I bought a 2009 SE Road Glide, then spent a pile of money buying a docking kit, 2 up detachable Tour Pak mount, King Tour Pak, rear speakers, premium Tour Pak rack, and the auxiliary tail/brake light kit for the Tour Pak. I then try to purchase a Screamin Eagle insert for between the lights on the Tour Pak. The Parts Manager at a local dealer tells me that I CAN'T buy the insert because it's a restricted SE part number. I politely tell him that I have a Screamin Eagle motorcycle and that I can provide a serial number, and that I can bring in my bike to prove it. I am told that because my $40k Screamin Eagle Road Glide didn't come with a Tour Pak, I can't buy the part.

This is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Can you get someone with an SEUC order one under their VIN? 
:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »

Can you get someone with an SEUC order one under their VIN? 
:devil:

That is one option. I do have a friend that has an 08 CVO Ultra but his bike is the anniversary copper colour and the insert is painted to match the bike...so that doesn't work, AND he may have to produce the old part which isn't an option.

I got upset enough when I was told "you cannot buy that part" that I decided to go a slightly different route. I am getting "Screamin Eagle" lettering digitized, and I am going to get a piece of SS laser cut to use as an insert. I plan to mill out part of the space behind the plate to facilitate LED strips that I will use as a brake light. When that's done I am going to convert the Tour Pak lights from tail/stop to tail/signal.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »

It just depends on the dealer, apparently. I've gotten the 'must turn in old part' to send me the money----no questions asked.  I've purchased numerous painted tins w/o turning in anything.  So, whatever the real policy is, it's not consistently enforced.  :drink:  spyder
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:32:59 PM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 09:22:51 PM »

Jenni did not require me to turn in My 2003 SE Deuce Gas Tank to buy a new one...it is still in the box actually!

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 10:45:44 PM »

Jenni did not require me to turn in My 2003 SE Deuce Gas Tank to buy a new one...it is still in the box actually!

/Bill
I was dealing with a local Calgary Harley dealer and he refused.

Lesson learned!  May try Jenni next time I need some parts. Just ordered a bunch from Zanotti; their prices seem to be the lowest I have found. I like to support local businesses but it's hard to justify. I just bought an nameplate insert for the top of my Tour Pak "part number 14651-06" which cost me $50.95 CDN plus Tax. Zanotti has the same part number for $23.96 USD plus Freight. Very hard to justify the difference. I, like most, have to work for what I earn and have a difficult time spending double for the same part to support local businesses.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 12:35:08 AM »

I wonder if I can order a 2010 ultra gas tank cover with the bar and shield logo and CVO on it for my '06. Don't know if it would fit but I sure like the look.

Topper

Here is a link to a pic of the cover:

http://toppers-pictures.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-Stuff/CVO/2010-FLHTCUSE-SEUC5/9125627_pNvQn#608257665_kneiC
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2009, 07:32:02 AM »

I have  nice blue takeoff  for an '04 SED on I'll sell for $200
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:55:59 PM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2009, 07:57:21 AM »

My FXSTSSE3 didnt come with a tach or an end cap on my air cleaner, seems like since the air cleaner is more or less disposable I might be able to find someone with an FXSTSSE2 and you know ?? Anyone given any guff with air cleaner elements????   I really like the look of the end cap adds a-lot in my opinion..
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2009, 08:02:22 AM »

if it say CVO or screamin eagle it's protected. you can always get one of those wanna Be's
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2009, 08:15:50 AM »

Like I said I'll have to wait in the parking lot and stalk the first FXSTSSE2 owner like a good obsessed springer owner would, whada ya think!!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

stevegoetsch

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 05:33:57 PM »

Just got back ordering CVO parts, one dealer gave me the "You need the VIN" , went to next dealer and my parts will be here in a week! no questions asked. :pineapple:

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »

That is what my dealer told me when I needed replacement parts on my '03 100th Ann. Ultra.  All I had to do was give them the VIN and they could document that the sale was to the owner of the bike with the restricted part.  Some dealers won't do this looks like.

That reminds me I have 100th Ultra outer fairing, front fender, and some other stuff if anyone has an interest.

Sledge
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

BONES - USMVMC

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide Tequila Sunrise
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »

This tells me it is a dealer thing and not a MOCO thing. My air cleaner got scratched and I wanted to replace it. I went to my local dealer, went to the parts counter and ordered the cleaner and the center part that says cvo 110. I did not have to turn the old one in. I have both now. I also purchased an extra fairing for my 2010 sg. They never asked for the old one in exchange. I have both. I did have to provide my vin to prove it was my CVO.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:34:51 PM by CUL8R »

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 01:38:57 AM »

I have a 2010 SESG, I swapped out license plate frame assembly to clean up that abortion that the moco put on as stock, only to find an ugly bolt underneath the plate.What I wanted to do was order the CVO emblem that is on Ultra Classics and or Roadglides  so I contacted 2 dealerships and was told the same thing I cant order it as it didn't come on my bike. Now I can understand the CVO verse non CVO restricted parts issue, but mine is a CVO, so what could that possibly hurt? And I was also told sometimes they want the old part back sometimes they don't. Between the 2 bikes I bought from them you'd think the $50 grand sticker prices plus all the other upgrades they'd let you but a stinkin $50 dollar emblem.So I'm going to call the owner of the dealership where I bought the bikes and see if he can pull a string or two, or try to get a vin number off a friends bike and order one that way.
In my case all this to make up for IMHO a lousy design for a license plate light. :'(
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 24 queries.