Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone Have Data Recovery Experience On HDD's?  (Read 1190 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Anyone Have Data Recovery Experience On HDD's?
« on: August 13, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »

I have a 2tb hard drive that powers up and spins, but does a bit of clicking/searching, but will not come up in Windows Explore file manager.  Or even show up under Disc Management.

This drive was just in my PC and just once upon rebooting, would not come up.  It was not damaged by hitting, dropping, or anything mechanical.  All of my other drives are still working fine.

I've been told by a company that has an office here in St. Louis that they can recover my videos etc from that drive.  But it may be as much as $500 to do so.  I have all of the videos, but most were our vacation videos back in '86 going to the UK and France.  They are in HI-8 digital tape and I had to real time record them over to my PC.  It was a very LONG process and would not care to repeat it.

So does anyone have any experience with this platter type drive that could help a fellow CVO'er out?

Or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: Anyone Have Data Recovery Experience On HDD's?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:31:48 PM »

First I am NOT a computer guru at all. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But I have had 2-3 computers go down that had critical files I needed. Last time The hd would not accessthe boot drive or some such BS. I bought ahard drive reader. You simply remove the drive and insert it into the reader. It has cables on the exterior that you can then plug into a working PC. Then you can search and copy the necessary files elsewhere. I have since gone to a server with mirrored hard drives and automatic daily backups.

I have a HD reader I would be happy to loan you. PM has f you’d like to borrow it or Id give you my number if you wanna call.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:43:44 PM »

First I am NOT a computer guru at all. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But I have had 2-3 computers go down that had critical files I needed. Last time The hd would not accessthe boot drive or some such BS. I bought ahard drive reader. You simply remove the drive and insert it into the reader. It has cables on the exterior that you can then plug into a working PC. Then you can search and copy the necessary files elsewhere. I have since gone to a server with mirrored hard drives and automatic daily backups.

I have a HD reader I would be happy to loan you. PM has f you’d like to borrow it or Id give you my number if you wanna call.

Thanks

I have an external SATA case with a 1tb internal drive installed.  I've used this a while back, but now I have several of the smaller 2.5" USB powered external drives, 1tb, 2tb and a 4tb.  Can't seem to refuse a great deal on them... :)

I took my SATA case and removed my 1tb and plugged in my failed 2tb drive.  When powered it spins up to rpms, but it will not read the boot/start sector and will not show up on my file manager through the USB cabling.  I can feel a tapping and clicking in the drive from the head hunting to boot, but it never connects to get it booted up.  I have the USB 2.5" 2tb ready to copy to if I can get the old internal drive to catch and boot.

I do very much appreciate your offer.  But I think what I have is what you have only with a case.  I'm drive poor right now.  I want to buy another 2tb SSD for my iTunes so they'll be a bit safer and probably do the same for the videos if and when I can get them off the non-booting 2tb drive.

I've come close to just giving it a good wack, but it would be my luck to see smoke come out of it and be done forever... :(

Thanks again and appreciate your experience.

Have a great evening.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:39:39 PM »

$500 is not a bad price...I dropped our external hard drive, causing it to crash, and unfortunately it contained ALL of our children’s pictures since birth! I had to send it off to a company to have the files manually extracted from the disc in a “clean-room”.  It cost me $1,500 but that was a hell of a lot cheaper than a divorce and a lot less torturous than dealing with a VERY angry momma.  I now have 2 external HD’s (one in the house and one at work) that contain all of our precious and VERY expensive memories

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »

$500 is not a bad price...I dropped our external hard drive, causing it to crash, and unfortunately it contained ALL of our children’s pictures since birth! I had to send it off to a company to have the files manually extracted from the disc in a “clean-room”.  It cost me $1,500 but that was a hell of a lot cheaper than a divorce and a lot less torturous than dealing with a VERY angry momma.  I now have 2 external HD’s (one in the house and one at work) that contain all of our precious and VERY expensive memories

I guess being that mine just quit working, not dropped, it may be a bit easier to recover the data.

I know that my UK and France videos are on it, but I cannot remember what else is on it that I cannot duplicate.

So I may go this route, at least to a point of a firm quote and time frame.  I have a 2tb external SATA that I would send in with it so they could copy to it and I would be able to work from that until I get a permanent SSD for them.

Glad you didn't have to go through the divorce, been there done that and you're right, it was not cheap.  In fact today is our, would have been, anniversary.  It would have been 47 years.  Oh well, she just sent me a text and wished me a happy 14th.  My wife and ex actually now get along very well.  Can't say they would be besties, but they do get along pretty great.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 24 queries.