Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NIM and headset operation question/problem  (Read 1462 times)

THOG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

NIM and headset operation question/problem
« on: November 12, 2016, 03:21:47 PM »

I have a 2012 FLHTK. I have the Harley NIM, iPod, XM modules installed. I use the Road Tech (Zumo) 660.

All works fine from time to time. This means I can listen to the AM,FM,XM,CD,WEATHER and NAV commands, either through my Fairing speakers or through my HD headset.

Recently I have experienced loss of the NAV commands, sometimes to both fairing speakers and headset. At the moment I get NAV commands only through the FAIRING.

Here is what I have tried in order to solve this.

Replaced 660 Fairing mounted cradle. Checked all connections, tried a second 660 and second headset, nothing works. I have cleaned the terminals of the GPS and the Cradle.

I am not using the Y-connector as with or without it seems to make no difference.

I have checked the rocker switch on the dash and it seems fine as all radio functions come through the headset, even the "silence" that is created by the NAV command, but NO VOLUME at all.

I am thinking the only thing left is to replace the NIM module (with red LED). Not sure if there isn't anything else to do. I have read either here or elsewhere that the original wiring instructions were wrong, but I am not sure about that as it seems beyond my technical knowledge.

I do not use the GPS for anything other than NAV commands and visuals.

Any ideas, suggestions, referrals would be helpful.

I'm totally frustrated.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: NIM and headset operation question/problem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »

While listening through your headset during the 'silence' created by the NAV prompt have you tried turning up the volume on your bike's radio?  I know the gps has a volume setting for nav prompts but the bike's radio uses a separate channel when the nav prompt is active.  Perhaps the volume to that channel is turned all the way down.  The only way to access that channel's volume setting (to the best of my knowledge) is while a nav prompt is active and has that channel activated.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:46:07 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:28:08 AM »

What he said. I will add that you adjust the volume when you see "Phone/Nav" displayed on the radio face, using the volume control on the left handlebar. The NIM is only active if you see the Phone/Nav displayed. It might only say "Nav" depending on your software version.

Your GPS has 3 volume settings. Make sure all 3 are set to 100%.

jim@hdbomm
Ride It Like You Are Retired

THOG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 12:12:03 PM »

Thanks guys for your prompt responses.

I have just tried turning the radio volume up when the NAV command is "live" to no avail. It does not make any difference to the NAV it is still silent.
I have also double checked that all three volume settings on the 660 are at 100%. No change.

Still NO SOUND in the headset with the rocker switch in the down position (directing all other audio to the headset).
If the rocker switch is fully forward I can the NAV commands via the fairing speakers.

On the NIM module, the RED LED is on, it does not flicker in any position of the switch, it remains constant.

Still no joy,

So I wonder what could cause this to ONLY be in the wiring between the NIM and the headset. I have no idea how to figure that out.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »

If your getting the nav prompts on your speakers then the problem is with the bikes wiring or radio. The speaker switch routes the radios output according to that switches setting

Jim@hdbomm
Ride It Like You Are Retired

THOG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 05:30:35 PM »

Well .....

I got tired of this and since it was a Sunny Sunday in Toronto and 10c (50f) I decided to remount the fairing and go for a scoot.

While out I thought 'what the heck, I'll just try it.
Put the Speaker switch forward (for headset) plugged in the HD headset and set the GPS for a location.
I almost fell off the bike at a stop light when I heard the nice lady say "please continue for 3km. She continued to speak to me for every turn. This is while I tried AM, FM, XM, iPod, and she came through each time, loud and clear, just as before she had disappeared.

I HAVE NO IDEA what made the difference. I turned the radio off and on when I arrived home. I plugged in two headsets, and all remains fine!

Guess it will be ok until I'm on the road and actually need to hear instructions next trip I take.

Now of course even taking the bike into a Dealer won't help as it is operating properly, though we'll see after next bumpy road!

Thanks for the assistance. Now I have good wiring, new Cradle and mount, clean pins on the GPS, volume set right and a bit of "magic".

Cheers

THOG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 05:31:23 PM »

So ..... the problem is back. 30% of the time NAV commands can be heard through HD headset, 70% not, only via fairing speakers.

Thanks for the suggestions along the way. Guess I'll book an appointment with the DLR for diagnosis. Really don't understand the the on again/off again situation.

hoganth

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 09:42:33 PM »

I had a similar issue with my NIM, it was driving me crazy. Some times it worked some times it did not. Removed the outer fairing, disconnected and cleaned all appropriate connectors with electronic spray can cleaner, reconnected everything and wrapped connectors with electrical tape. Knock on wood it was a year ago this summer and everything seems o.k. I never found a "smoking gun" connector or anything loose. Just saying.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 25 queries.