Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: E.S.P.  (Read 1603 times)

grahn1967

• FL

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
E.S.P.
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:47:51 PM »

Hi all, my 2014FLHTKSE had a lifter failure at 37000. ESP replaced everything engine related  but the wheels and heads. At first consultation with a HD dealer I was told I could keep all the old parts after work was completed. When the job was finished HD stated that the factory wanted the original cases returned for destruction. Is this SOP ? If not what recourse do I have to have the original cases returned to me ? Also I bought a few aftermarket parts to have them install for me in the new engine. Am I entitled to the factory parts that ESP paid for that I replaced with those aftermarket parts ?

Thanks in advance for comments.
Thundermax ECM, Darkhorse Crank and rods, R & R Heads,D & D Fat cat,Feuling oil pump and camplate,S & S Gear drive,S & S 585 easy start, Progressive front and rear,WO577 CHUBBY, Hogtunes all over.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: E.S.P.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:16:57 PM »

If cases were swapped the originals with the VIN derivative have to go back to factory.  If ESP paid for the parts then you didn't.  It's up to ESP what they do with them.  Know of several cases where both outcomes happened.  Sometimes guys could get their old parts back, sometimes they couldn't.  Don't really get to complain either way.

grahn1967

• FL

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:30:17 PM »

I've already received all the original used parts minus the cases. My concern is the new parts that were ordered and  not used on the build due to the aftermarket parts I bought.
Thundermax ECM, Darkhorse Crank and rods, R & R Heads,D & D Fat cat,Feuling oil pump and camplate,S & S Gear drive,S & S 585 easy start, Progressive front and rear,WO577 CHUBBY, Hogtunes all over.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:41:40 PM »

I would think those should be yours if they were included in the ESP work and you paid for the aftermarket parts.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 01:13:48 AM »

The left case half must be returned to the factory as it is not legal for two engine cases to be stamped with the same VIN. All other parts belong to the ESP company since they bought you new ones or to the customer if the ESP  company does not want them. The dealer does not get to keep them.

I have to ask though if a lifter failed and so much damage was done to require everything being replaced including the cases why were the flywheels not replaced as the metal surely got into the rod bearings?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »

The left case half must be returned to the factory as it is not legal for two engine cases to be stamped with the same VIN. All other parts belong to the ESP company since they bought you new ones or to the customer if the ESP  company does not want them. The dealer does not get to keep them.

I have to ask though if a lifter failed and so much damage was done to require everything being replaced including the cases why were the flywheels not replaced as the metal surely got into the rod bearings?

Exactly!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

grahn1967

• FL

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 04:42:21 AM »

[/color]
The details are, a few of the needles in one roller failed and the tech never found the metal. Complete engine replacement was suggested but ESP wasn't having that. I shipped the new cases and the wheels to Darkhorse.

I'm pretty sure I'm covered. How would  that metal physically get past the camchest ?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 05:25:28 AM »

[/color]
The details are, a few of the needles in one roller failed and the tech never found the metal. Complete engine replacement was suggested but ESP wasn't having that. I shipped the new cases and the wheels to Darkhorse.

I'm pretty sure I'm covered. How would  that metal physically get past the camchest ?

Through the oil pump pulling the oil from the crankcase and recycling it back through the motor. That is why you ALWAYS pull you oil pan and clean it and replace your oil lines!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

vmsmgr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 07:40:28 PM »

Just had my lifters replaced (rollers froze) on my 2014 CVO limited 34,400 miles along with the cams, under ESP, however the Dealer doing the repair didn't change the oil & filter only replaced 1 quart of oil (according to the workorder). I just changed the oil when I got home and found metal filings in the oil. Should I contact ESP to see what I should do next ?   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »

Just had my lifters replaced (rollers froze) on my 2014 CVO limited 34,400 miles along with the cams, under ESP, however the Dealer doing the repair didn't change the oil & filter only replaced 1 quart of oil (according to the workorder). I just changed the oil when I got home and found metal filings in the oil. Should I contact ESP to see what I should do next ?

Absolutely!  I don't know if the ESP folks told the dealer to do it that way, or the dealership tech was just lazy and trying to slip one by his boss and you.

With any failure that spews metal debris, the entire engine should be inspected for debris and any signs of damage.  This includes pulling the oil pan and cleaning it thoroughly, the same with any oil coolers and oil lines.  There is also a possibility that debris got into the crank and rod bearings.  In other words, when this kind of failure occurs the repair should include a whole lot more than just pulling/replacing the lifters and cams and buttoning everything back up.  Raise hell with the ESP folks.  It would be in their best interest to do it right, since not doing it right could leave them on the hook for doing it all over again when all that trash causes another failure.  With as many of these failures as they've seen over the past several years, they have to know the proper procedure by now.  That's what makes me think the dealership is the problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

vmsmgr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 09:00:58 PM »

Well I contacted the dealer that did the work and the service manager said" We didn't change the oil & filter ? Oh sorry about that, if you have any issues just contact ESP. Nice... So I've sent a letter to customer care and to ESP of the issues and response I got. I talked to a local bike mechanic and he said the motor is a ticking timebomb. Hopefully MOCO will step up to the plate and replace the otor, but who knows. For $40,000 what should I expect ?  I can see why sales are slowing...

Mike

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.