Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Oil pump failed and took out valve train. Need assistance and suggestions please  (Read 7957 times)

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield

2015 CVO FLTRUSE (110cu in) out of no-where, started making a strange noise (like a random clinking sound) coming from the right side of engine.  I suspected lifter failure as I've read these are a known issue with the 110.  Bike has about 40K miles.

Local shop now has it apart and I see that the cams, oil pump, bearings and lifters are toast.  Word is that the lower end is intact and crank run-out is .004-.005 with no visible signs of further damage to the engine.

Shop is a Drag Specialties shop so the are recommending Fueling products to replace the stock HD parts.  I actually don't expect the prices to be that much different from HD and expect that extended service contract will pick up the cost of the HD parts, so I'd only pay any differences.

Anyway, shop is recommending Fueling cam plate, oil pump, lifters and cam (not sure which one yet).  I'd like some feedback on fueling products or other products that would be a better choice.

My longer term plan is to upgrade to the SE 117 kit down the road, so I thought this would be a good time to at least take care of the valve train.  Whatever I do, I want it work work nice with my existing 110 setup but provide that growth into the larger jugs.

Bike is basically stock, except for FuelMoto 2-1-2 stainless and RC Exhaust 4.5 (yes I know baffles are a bit large, but I do like the sound). 

All suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Zig

J.D.

Fueling is good stuff.  S&S really good as well.  SE camplate also good.  Lot of good upgrade options.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

This is half done. Now the crank needs to go out and be taken apart, cleaned, pined and trued at minimum. All of the oil lines and appurtenances need to be cleaned or replaced. I would be looking very close and miking the lifter bores for marks and size. The piston oil jets replaced. Would not use Feuling and would use an S&S pump and Hylift lifters going back. Heads need to be freshened up at minimum.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield

I am real concerned about the crank and main bearings.  Not sure how the shop can determine there is no damage without physically inspecting it.  That would require splitting the case and full disassembly, correct?   I've never torn down a TC, but I'm guessing a full teardown would also be necessary to clean out all the oil passages.

I was told that a borescope was used to look in the jugs and there wasn't any signs of damage there.  Just for my information, where are the piston oil jets?  In the crankcase?

Seems you are not a fan of Fueling.  Any particular reason?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

More concerning is that they are not driving that plan and you have to dig up the information on the net. This failure requires a complete overhaul.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq

More concerning is that they are not driving that plan and you have to dig up the information on the net. This failure requires a complete overhaul.

Or Plan B: https://www.sscycle.com/products/t124-stone-gray-engine-with-585-cams/

If i was in the same situation and riding over 10k miles per year in a hot climate I'd weigh the total cost/risk/reliability/fun factor between Plan A and Plan B then decide.

Drag Specialties shop should be able to get you into that new motor for $5500 plus misc. parts and labor.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Even if the Plan B option of an entirely new engine were considered this failure isn't out of the woods yet.  Given the failure everything needs to be cleaned.  Oil pan needs to come off the transmission.  Cooler and everything else flushed.  Metal went everywhere.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq

Even if the Plan B option of an entirely new engine were considered this failure isn't out of the woods yet.  Given the failure everything needs to be cleaned.  Oil pan needs to come off the transmission.  Cooler and everything else flushed.  Metal went everywhere.

Agreed.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon

As others have said, complete engine rebuild is in order. Oil pan must be replaced as the baffle is welded in place and there is no way to be 100% certain that there is no debris left behind. The  oil cooler, if it has one, needs to be flushed as well. Also be sure to have the lifter bores inspected. We have a similar job in the shop now that needs a case due to damage to the lifter bore. 

The warranty company will cover all of the above.

For the pump and plate we use the S&S Blue units and the S&S lifters.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

Thanks to all for some very good advice. 

I am now thinking I will insist on a complete tear down and when the motor is rebuilt, pay the difference in price for the 117 kit.  Insurance should already be paying for the cams, lifters, pushrods, etc so that will help offset the cost a bit.

I didn't think about the oil pan, but makes sense to have it replaced.

ultrarider123

Or Plan B: https://www.sscycle.com/products/t124-stone-gray-engine-with-585-cams/

If i was in the same situation and riding over 10k miles per year in a hot climate I'd weigh the total cost/risk/reliability/fun factor between Plan A and Plan B then decide.

Drag Specialties shop should be able to get you into that new motor for $5500 plus misc. parts and labor.

I like the plan B option but it won't work in Zig's '15 RGU.  It's twin cooled and this is from the S&S site:

"This S&S 124 cubic inch T124 low compression Long Block engine fits 2007-'16 HD touring bikes except Twin-Cooled models."

Dang it, that 124 would look good in mine, too. 

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

There are ways around this but from the other site this will likely be an ESP job so the method will be much dictated by them if they pay. It's a lot like medical insurance

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG

How much of your ESP is left and are they going to stand behind the aftermarket parts that are being considered? Granted they are IMO better products, but something you should consider.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

Still waiting on ESP's decision and approval....

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE

just a side note, if a complete tear is done at your request, it may be out of your pocket, if damage is found from the cam chest issue then all the repairs needed should be covered by ESP. its a gamble they take to save them self's money and stupid game they play 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:28:53 AM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.