Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 10,000 mile service question  (Read 2215 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: 10,000 mile service question
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 01:04:41 AM »

SE2;
Another welcome to you! If you think the syn3 is good, wait till you try the true synthetics from Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Redline.

PS; I like your Avatar[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 01:17:06 AM »

Welcome aboard SE2, living where we do we often don't ride in hotter climates.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 01:17:45 AM by Rjob749 »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 09:16:12 AM »

Comments on the thread postings below...

I started riding in 2003 on a new Road King TC-88. I trusted the dealer to attend to the maintenance details.

I am starting to believe in Syn 3, and personal attention to vehicle maintenance. I am interested in comments to the otherwise.
SE2,
Welcome to the best CVO/Harley website on the Internet. You've already been warned how members here will help you spend your money, but like all the rest you will probably end up not paying any attention to that warning and buy all kinds of goodies for you scooter. In regards to the lubricants there are many threads and lots of reading on that subject.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 01:17:17 PM »

Comments on the thread postings below...

I started riding in 2003 on a new Road King TC-88. I trusted the dealer to attend to the maintenance details.

At 24,000 km I decided to do maintenance myself. The steering head bearings took 2/3 of a tube of HD special purpose grease. I asume they had just been giving it just a couple of pumps during each service interval. So why were they charging so much for service supplies?

Also, at times, I would get stuck in gear and they never found anything wrong. I bought the service manual and followed the clutch adjustment procedure, and never had the problem again. 40,000 Km now and all is well.

FYI, at 16,000 km I changed to SYN3 lubricant. The engine noise went from very noticeable to very little within 300 Km. A very dramatic result, I was so happy. Of course this may have occured naturally on the original oil specificatin due to break-in considerations, but I guess I will never know for sure. It happens that I rent new Harleys in Las Vegas and Hawaii and have ridden/driven a lot of new Harley bikes. My 03 Road King is far superior in overall operation and engine noise.

I am starting to believe in Syn 3, and personal attention to vehicle maintenance. I am interested in comments to the otherwise.

Welcome SE2. You'll learn about this and many other things here. It doesn't seem like you need help with your avatar photo. Looks great. Happy Hoildays! [smiley=drink.gif] Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.