Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop light and turn signal kit  (Read 7389 times)

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI
Stop light and turn signal kit
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:09:18 PM »

Hi,
I need to know the Harley part number to modify my existing stop light and turn signals to the turn signals that act as auxiliary running lights and stop lights. All I saw on the HD site was VRODs and another type of lens. Now that I have the FXR3 set for the road I need to have these additional visibility and stop light capability.
Please reply directly to me offline because I don't visit the boards very often, CaptRehkopf@msn.com
Thanks
Robert
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2000 FLTRSEI Triple Red (Gone but not forgotten)
2018 BMW R1200RT

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Re: Stop light and turn signal kit
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:10:38 PM »

Auxiliary Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit - Bullet Lens Style

Turn signal module adds an auxiliary brake light and running light function to your existing turn signals for auxiliary rear lighting. Red lenses glow when the headlamp is on, and increase in intensity when brakes or turn signals are activated. Easy-to-install, the kit simply plugs into your existing wiring harness. Red turn signal lenses are included. Meets DOT requirements.

This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.

69462-06A

Fits '02-'03 XL, '02-later Dyna™ (except FXDXT), and '02-later Softail® (except FXSTD/I) models with stock bullet-style turn signals. (NOTE: Does not meet DOT standards when installed on '04-later FLHRS, FLTR, FLHTCSE models, '05-later FLSTN and FLSTS models, or models equipped with Bullet Rear Turn Signal Bar Kit P/N 68615-04 or 68617-04.)

MSRP US $54.95

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 11:28:19 PM »

'02-'03 XL, '02-later Dyna™ and '02-later Softail®

Jeff, Not sure it will fit a 99 FXR3!
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2000 FLTRSEI Triple Red (Gone but not forgotten)
2018 BMW R1200RT

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »

69462-06A

Fits '02-'03 XL, '02-later Dyna™ (except FXDXT), and '02-later Softail® (except FXSTD/I) models with stock bullet-style turn signals. (NOTE: Does not meet DOT standards when installed on '04-later FLHRS, FLTR, FLHTCSE models, '05-later FLSTN and FLSTS models, or models equipped with Bullet Rear Turn Signal Bar Kit P/N 68615-04 or 68617-04.)

Anyone have an idea why these do not meet DOT rules for the noted exceptions?
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »

Anyone have an idea why these do not meet DOT rules for the noted exceptions?

That's been debated here previously...probably has something to do with how close the turn signal lenses are to the tail light.  I think the DOT rule is at least 1 foot, and the bullet assembly is not that far apart.  Most people ignore it and put it on.  Or you can go with the Kury Panacea array.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »

That's been debated here previously...probably has something to do with how close the turn signal lenses are to the tail light.  I think the DOT rule is at least 1 foot, and the bullet assembly is not that far apart.  Most people ignore it and put it on.  Or you can go with the Kury Panacea array.

TC beat me to it.  This would be my guess, also.

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »

That's been debated here previously...probably has something to do with how close the turn signal lenses are to the tail light.  I think the DOT rule is at least 1 foot, and the bullet assembly is not that far apart.  Most people ignore it and put it on.

Thanks guys...

I had just put the module on my SEUC and was gonna put it on the ol lady's sportster when I noticed this topic.
Since I never met a DOT guy I liked, I'll just ignore it too!

:beerchug:

If y'all ever come to Bourbon St in New Orleans, I owe ya  :drink:
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »

If y'all ever come to Bourbon St in New Orleans, I owe ya  :drink:

I might be too old for Bourbon Street.  I had a friend who moved to Metairie out of college.  He and I had some crazy times in the Quarter.  Somehow we managed to never get arrested or killed.

Nawlins.  Ahhh, the memories.

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 06:25:10 PM »

Hi,
I need to know the Harley part number to modify my existing stop light and turn signals to the turn signals that act as auxiliary running lights and stop lights. All I saw on the HD site was VRODs and another type of lens. Now that I have the FXR3 set for the road I need to have these additional visibility and stop light capability.
Please reply directly to me offline because I don't visit the boards very often, CaptRehkopf@msn.com
Thanks
Robert

I'll e-mail this to you as well but for the benefit of board viewers, you might try the J&P Cycles number 382-832.  "Tailbones converter, adds running light and stoplight function to rear turn signals".  $81.99.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 02:38:54 AM »

I'll e-mail this to you as well but for the benefit of board viewers, you might try the J&P Cycles number 382-832.  "Tailbones converter, adds running light and stoplight function to rear turn signals".  $81.99.

FXR2....

that's a great help.....here is my question since I haven't looked at the part you are referencing above......I had for some time become interested in modifying my rear turn signals from simply turn signals into brake lights as well....(I had done this successfully on a 2003 FXDL Dyna Low Rider) but here in CO as perhaps in most states on Motorcycles when making this modifcation one of the requirements is that you have to change your turn signals from yellow/orange/amber to red lens as well....it's ok to have red turn signals which also serve as red brakes is my point.

So here is my question....like I have said above I haven't looked at the JP Cycle's part number you have mentioned....but I do know it's hard enough finding replacement amber lens for these stock tail lights on our FXR2 bikes so does this "kit" come with the appropriate red lens that will also fit our stock tail light housings?????? which would allow for me to turn my turn signals into running brake lights as well??????

Or am I missing something here? 

Thank you!!!

Regards,

FXR2evo99

RedFXR2

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 11:46:19 AM »

[ but here in CO as perhaps in most states on Motorcycles when making this modifcation one of the requirements is that you have to change your turn signals from yellow/orange/amber to red lens as well....it's ok to have red turn signals which also serve as red brakes is my point.

So here is my question... does this "kit" come with the appropriate red lens that will also fit our stock tail light housings?????? which would allow for me to turn my turn signals into running brake lights as well??????

This is just the wiring kit, no lenses included.  I don't have the catalog in front of me but I know they have a whole bunch of lenses in there.  I've never searched for red directional lenses for our bikes--may be difficult.  I know that ours are sometimes referred to as "flat" lenses, but I also have to think that in the whole world of cycle accessorie, between HD themselves, J&P, Drag, Custom Chrome, and whoever else, that somewhere out there are red equivalents to our lenses.

[edit]  I think I would go to a HD dealer and have them look up the part number for the stock amber lenses.  Many of the aftermarket catalogs will refer to the HD number in their product description.

I agree that it would be a good thing to do--having the rear directionals double as brake lights.  Another project for me, maybe.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 11:52:53 AM by RedFXR2 »

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.