Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Looking at an FXR  (Read 6661 times)

xlent

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Looking at an FXR
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:07:58 PM »

How strange, I sign in and everything goes south.  Glad it was not me.
Anyone familiar with a Chopper Boys FXR frame.  The local HD dealer built several bikes in 2000 with these frames, FXR parts and EVO engines.  They sold them for top dollar since bikes were not readily available at that time - I believe they sold for between $16K and $19K.  
I have a chance to pick one up for less than $10K, custom paint, about 8.5K on the clock.
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?
I am thinking of replacing my 2004 XL 1200R with this bike.
I certainly hope to get some responses.
TIA, and ride safe.
Frank
Baton Rouge

RedFXR2

Re: Looking at an FXR
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 09:04:42 AM »

Hi, Xlent.  I posted a rather lengthy response to your question about a (maybe) 2000 FXR4 but then the board was hacked and it was lost.  Did you read it?  It looks like you've since determined (as was the point of my original message--tutorial about VIN's and such) that the 2000 FXR you're looking at is not a CVO model, or even a HD, but a dealer-built special using an aftermarket frame.  This answers pretty much all my questions about the circumstances.

Anyway, you could surf the web for info on Chopper Boys frames but the first thing I would wonder is how that geometry compares with the HD FXR frame.  If (especially) the rake is the same, along with the wheelbase then it should handle and weigh about the same.

If it all checks out and the bike is well built using good parts, then my thought is that you're buying a young, low mileage FXR for a good price.  The FXR alternative is to look for a clean, preferably 90's HD model for about the same money, or hold out for a CVO FXR that will cost substantially more.

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 10:08:06 AM »

I'm guessing you're not going to find a FXR with that little on the clock for that $$.

So, you really have to decide if the HD badge is worth paying for. There are a bunch of FXRs on E-bay right now for what you're considering paying.

In terms of resale value, absolutely. But I never buy a bike thinking I'm going to sell it. I want to ride it. If, someday, I decide to sell it, great. But that shouldn't dictate your decision. If you don't want it in the first place...why would you drop $$$ on it?

That being said. You almost always get what you paid for a Harley. Sometimes more.

Good luck.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

xlent

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 11:47:51 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  The tech who built the bike told me the frame is "an exact duplicate" of the HD frame.  I plan to ride the bike this weekend.  Regarding "why buy it" if I plan to sell it, heck there are few assets I purchase that I don't expect some return from.  After 38 years of owning bikes, I have never purchased one without the thought of someday selling it.  Also the days of selling your Harley for a break even or profit are going away fast - at least down here in south Louisiana.  The supply is out pacing the demand on the dealership floor.  I might be able to get msrp for my bike which has over $2K add ons plus an extended warranty.  Who knows, if the FXR is as sweet as everyone says (or repeats), I might not sell it.  Now, my wife likes the XL1200R so much, she suggested holding on to it.  If the bikes are as similar as I expect I can't see keeping both.  The reason for the FXR was to get a better ride for her, without going to an Electra Glide, while keeping a fine handling bike for me.  I'll find out soon.  Thanks again.

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
    • AZ

• Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 08:37:58 AM »

IMHO the FXR is worlds better than the XL.

I find the XLs too  "top heavy". You're "on" the bike.

The FXR cradles you more, and you're "in" the bike.

You'll know after you ride it.

PS..lived in Metairie for a few years next door to Tom Dempsey. Nice guy.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 09:35:05 AM »

Xlent:  I'd be interested in hearing what you decided, and if you buy the bike, please post a pic or two here.  From your description of the bike, I can't see any down side.  Just curious, is the Evo motor a HD (stock or any add-ons) or other brand (S&S, maybe)?  I'm wondering if that motor is an upgrade over a stock HD Evo.  I've sometimes played around with the idea of buying a tired HD FXR and re-building it as my version of the FXR HD should have offered, with some mechanical upgrades and my own paint job.

As far as comparing this with a new Sportster, accordiing to the HD website, a 2004 XL1200R weighs 557, versus the stated 560 for my FXR2, so the weight is nearly equal.  The differences would be in wheel base and ride height, and I don't have ready figures for those for an FXR.   I'd also like to hear your comparison impression between the two bikes.

Anyway, good luck and let us hear from you about what you decide.

And give my regards to Baton Rouge--one of my best friends from high school lives there.

xlent

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 01:35:39 AM »

Headed over to the dealer in the morning to take a ride.  Found out it was Chopper Guys, not Chopper Boys, who manufactured the frame.  They claim it is lighter and stronger?  I am really looking forward to the ride after hearing so many great things about the FXR.  I have not riden a bike that is as much fun as the (04) Sportster, so this should be a real treat.

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 09:47:21 AM »

Chopper Guys:  FXR page--

http://www.chopperguys.com/id31.htm

Looks like a slightly altered FXR frame, maybe with improved structure like the massive backbone piece.  And they mention a slightly stretched backbone (therefore wheelbase)?

Makes for a nice custom:

Notice the Twin Cam motor--they didn't fit in the HD FXR frame.  Could be really nice--I'm thinking about how a 103" motor in a FXR frame would feel [smiley=1syellow1.gif].

Let us know how the test ride went.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 09:54:26 AM by RedFXR2 »

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
    • AZ

• Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 10:06:29 AM »

Not a big fan of those risers though.

Sort of makes the bike look stiff rather than sleek.

Maybe a rise with a sweep back/ pullback
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 06:19:37 PM »

Oh, I'm with you on the handlebars and risers--all out of scale and place on this bike.

There's something about the rear tire, too.  It sort of looks "low profile" or something--not that I'm a fat tire fan at all.

Still, the setup intrigues me, especially the 'TC motor in the FXR frame' thing.

xlent

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 09:15:52 AM »

I was glad to have had the chance to ride a FXR yesterday.  The reputation of ride quality due to the frames geometry is well deserved.  If I did not own a 2004 XL 1200R I probably would have purchased the bike.
Of course my impression is benchmarked by the 1200R.
You certainly do "sit in" the bike as opposed to on it.  While the bike was very smooth it did not have the quickness of handling and speed that the XL has.  Also slightly more vibration.  The FXR did not have a tach, but on the highway it seemed to be straining at 75 mph, where the XL is just waking up.  I got that "I wish I had one more gear" feeling.  All in all, it was a great, fun bike to ride.  For me, however, the changes the moco has made in the new Sportster has made it the best all around bike I have ever owned so she stays in the stable.
This clearly is not an evaluation of two great bikes, or a condemnation of either, just another personal choice.

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
    • AZ

• Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 09:56:07 AM »

I hear the "wish I had another gear" feeling.

At 270 myself, the bike hates anything over 90.

...course when I'm 2-up the wife only adds 90lbs.

(maybe she'll read this?)

The next ride will have 6 speeds...but I ain't fixin' what ain't broke.

I'll stay bone stock on the CVO...until I have a real reason to open the cases.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 08:15:22 PM »

"wish I had another gear" feeling.

Me, I've always been quite happy with the gearing.  When I first got it, I'd find myself cruuising around in fourth, forgetting I had one more gear to go.  My dealer tells me it has a Twin Cam transmission, with taller gears than the Evo models.

Oh well.  To each his own.  Neanderpaul, you'd fit right in with some of the CVO guys I met in Soggy Valley if you're complaining about the bike not being happy at "anything over 90." [smiley=laugh.gif]  That's a bit fast for my comfort zone on the highway, anyway.

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
    • AZ

• Neanderpaul Dot Com
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 10:47:38 PM »

Me, I've always been quite happy with the gearing.  When I first got it, I'd find myself cruuising around in fourth, forgetting I had one more gear to go.  My dealer tells me it has a Twin Cam transmission, with taller gears than the Evo models.

Oh well.  To each his own.  Neanderpaul, you'd fit right in with some of the CVO guys I met in Soggy Valley if you're complaining about the bike not being happy at "anything over 90." [smiley=laugh.gif]  That's a bit fast for my comfort zone on the highway, anyway.

Well...it's not so much me wanting to go fast as it is me trying to keep up with all of my friends...

VTX & SE103s...hell even the 88" leaves my 270lbs behind pretty quickly. Perhaps I should have gone Fat Boy...

Damn I'm funny!
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

RedFXR2

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 04:49:51 PM »

Well...it's not so much me wanting to go fast as it is me trying to keep up with all of my friends...

VTX & SE103s...hell even the 88" leaves my 270lbs behind pretty quickly.

Well....you could do what I'm about to do. [smiley=laugh.gif]

After thinking about it for about a year, and especially after being around all the upgraded engine hardware on the current CVO bikes I saw in Soggy Valley, I've decided to make the leap and give my Evo a "makeover", sort of into what the CVO would have done in 1999 had they included engine parts in the list of upgrades like they do now.

I'm going to install SE heads and a cam.  The heads will take the compression to 9.5/1 (from 8.5/1) and allow for more flow in and out by virtue of larger valves and polished ports.  I'm still shopping for the appropriate cam.  The Andrews EV27 seems like exactly what I want but there's something appealing about using a SE product there, too, in keeping with the "CVO would have done it that way" theme.  From what I've read, the Andrews cam comes on from about 2000 to 5500 RPM and the SE from 3000 to 6000.  Since most of my riding around time is spent from 2000 to 4000, the Andrews would seem the logical choice.  I already have a SE airfilter/breather backplate assembly and will probably (hopefully) keep the stock carb, re-jetting as necessary.  And then finish up with the improved ignition components mentioned in the Tech Talk article (see below).  I'll keep the stock bore and pistons, though.  Gotta stop the $ bleeding somewhere.

I figure the bike still won't be a Hayabusa but it should have much improved throttle response and pull much stronger up to whatever speed I'm comfortable with.  And frankly, I just want to do it because I think it will be fun to do and fun to have that stuff on the bike afterwards.

Here's what I'm mostly talking about on Harley tech Talk:

Screaming Eagle Heads 5/4/2000

excerpt:  “…This is the EVO motor Harley Davidson would sell out the door if they could.”

http://www.directparts.com/static/articles/screamingeagle.html

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 05:25:24 PM by RedFXR2 »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.