Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Clutch Cable Adjustment?  (Read 16218 times)

elvislee

Clutch Cable Adjustment?
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:07:57 AM »

OK...Warming my Fxr4 up in neutral before riding. Put it in 1st gear and bike lunges slightly. Go to put it back in neutral (Bike still at idle) but won't go into neutral. A friend said it could be the clutch cable needed adjusting. I have noticed the cable as having a little slack where it runs into the housing at the clutch lever. I read somewhere and I looked through the service manual for info as to the amount of play in the lever that is suggested after adjusting but could not find. I tightened the cable to the point that the bike does not lunge when putting it in 1st gear, the the clutch lever feels much better, but when I try to put it back into neutral, the shift peg still won't go to neutral. How can I tell if the cable is adjusted properly and could there be another reason it won't go to neutral?...An enquiring mind wants to know  ;D  :2vrolijk_21: Thanks for any responses

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Clutch Cable Adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »

OK...Warming my Fxr4 up in neutral before riding. Put it in 1st gear and bike lunges slightly. Go to put it back in neutral (Bike still at idle) but won't go into neutral. A friend said it could be the clutch cable needed adjusting. I have noticed the cable as having a little slack where it runs into the housing at the clutch lever. I read somewhere and I looked through the service manual for info as to the amount of play in the lever that is suggested after adjusting but could not find. I tightened the cable to the point that the bike does not lunge when putting it in 1st gear, the the clutch lever feels much better, but when I try to put it back into neutral, the shift peg still won't go to neutral. How can I tell if the cable is adjusted properly and could there be another reason it won't go to neutral?...An enquiring mind wants to know  ;D  :2vrolijk_21: Thanks for any responses

The clutch cable adjustment is for free play. The clutch itself has an adjustment on it. It's behind the derby cover. You loosen the locknut, turn the slotted screw all the way in (not hard, just til it touches) then back it out 1/4 turn. Then hold the screw with a screwdriver and tighten up the locknut again. You do this with LOTS OF FREEPLAY IN THE CABLE ADJUSTMENT. So unadjust the cable first. Then when your done adjusting the clutch, you readjust the cable for proper freeplay! Freeplay is about 1/8". The procedure for this is in the SM. ;)

Hoist! 8)

*BTW, this is all from memory. Check the manual. I haven't adjusted or had a stock clutch in any of my Evo's in years. I use Rivera Pro Clutch in my Evo's.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:25:22 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:35:41 AM »

The clutch cable adjustment is for free play. The clutch itself has an adjustment on it. It's behind the derby cover. You loosen the locknut, turn the slotted screw all the way in (not hard, just till it touches) then back it out 1/4 turn. Then hold the screw with a screwdriver and tighten up the locknut again. You do this with LOTS OF FREEPLAY IN THE CABLE ADJUSTMENT. So unadjust the cable first. Then when your done adjusting the clutch, you readjust the cable for proper freeplay! Freeplay is about 1/8". The procedure for this is in the SM. ;)

Hoist! 8)

*BTW, this is all from memory.

Hoist, if it's all from memory then your memory is quite good.  Just to clear up a couple of things for elvis, ....about the slotted screw...first, turn the screw all the way in, but understand, it's not going to suddenly and clearly hit bottom and stop turning.  It will only get slightly more resistant.  This IS the bottom.  It might take a time or two to get the feel of it.  The first time I did it, I expected the screw to be more definitely all the way in so I kept turning and turning until I realized that I was just spreading the clutch discs farther and farther apart--not what I needed to do.  So just tighten the screw until you can feel that you're doing more than just tightening a loose screw.  Then back it out 1/4 turn, like Hoist says.

Second the freeplay is measured at the clutch handle.  Before you get to the derby cover part, go to the cable adjustment along the frame down tube and loosen it completely.  It's behind the rubber bellows cover.  After you do the drill at the clutch behind the derby cover as described above, (and remember to tighten the locknut!!!!) go back to the clutch cable and take all but 1/8" play out of it.  This means to measure the gap between the clutch handle and handle base and get it to about 1/8" gap before actually pulling on the cable.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:37:15 AM by RedFXR2 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:38:23 AM »

Hoist, if it's all from memory then your memory is quite good.  Just to clear up a couple of things for elvis, ....about the slotted screw...first, turn the screw all the way in, but understand, it's not going to suddenly and clearly hit bottom and stop turning.  It will only get slightly more resistant.  This IS the bottom.  It might take a time or two to get the feel of it.  The first time I did it, I expected the screw to be more definitely all the way in so I kept turning and turning until I realized that I was just spreading the clutch discs farther and farther apart--not what I needed to do.  So just tighten the screw until you can feel that you're doing more than just tightening a loose screw.  Then back it out 1/4 turn, like Hoist says.

Second the freeplay is measured at the clutch handle.  Before you get to the derby cover part, go to the cable adjustment along the frame down tube and loosen it completely.  It's behind the rubber bellows cover.  After you do the drill at the clutch behind the derby cover as described above, (and remember to tighten the locknut!!!!) go back to the clutch cable and take all but 1/8" play out of it.  This means to measure the gap between the clutch handle and handle base and get it to about 1/8" gap before actually pulling on the cable.

Thanks Red! My CRS must only be selective!!! ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:40:24 AM »

OK...I remember seeing that in the SM but did not know adjustment coul not be made by adjusting the cable only...I'll take care of that and let ya know...

I've got Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy in my heart, Joy in my heart, Joy in my heart...I've got Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy in my heart, Joy in my heart to stay... ;D  :2vrolijk_21:

HeHeHe!!! ;D ;D ;D :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:42:32 AM »

The clutch cable adjustment is for free play. The clutch itself has an adjustment on it. It's behind the derby cover. You loosen the locknut, turn the slotted screw all the way in (not hard, just til it touches) then back it out 1/4 turn. Then hold the screw with a screwdriver and tighten up the locknut again. You do this with LOTS OF FREEPLAY IN THE CABLE ADJUSTMENT. So unadjust the cable first. Then when your done adjusting the clutch, you readjust the cable for proper freeplay! Freeplay is about 1/8". The procedure for this is in the SM. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Yea, what Howie said. When riding where does you clutch come in when letting it out? Is it all just as you start to let the lever out, or is it all at the far end, when the lever is almost all the way out?

I had a big problem with the clutch adjustment when my bike was new, I complained about the clutch being all in the first 1/4 of the lever throw. They came back three times and said that it was ok. I went to adjust it my self and backed off the cable adjustment, half a turn and the balls fell out of the clutch ramp! I had to take the exhaust off, pull the trap door off the trans, and get them back in to the ramp. The cable was so far out I ran out of threads just adjusting half a turn. I ran the cable half way in, adjusted the clutch to about almost half a turn from touching and it works the way it should have been! I went to the stealer and got into it with the service manager. He tried to say that I messed up when doing my adjustment. I told him he was full of Poo!  ::)
and that I's never let them touch my bike again! Like Howie said it's not hard, just get a new derby cover gasket, follow your manual, takes about 15 minutes.

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »

I had a big problem with the clutch adjustment when my bike was new, I complained about the clutch being all in the first 1/4 of the lever throw. They came back three times and said that it was ok. ....I ran the cable half way in, adjusted the clutch to about almost half a turn from touching and it works the way it should have been! I went to the stealer and got into it with the service manager. He tried to say that I messed up when doing my adjustment. I told him he was full of Poo!  ::)
and that I's never let them touch my bike again! .

All too typical.  I really have decided that gettiing rid of service customers is part of HD dealer training.  Think of the money they save (parts inventory, employee costs) by getting us to service our own bikes. ::)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire]

elvislee....

I know this is a bit "crazy" but please follow along with me here......earlier this summer I did a primary gearing change on my 2002 Road King Classic. I recently did a compensating sprocket and clutch shell basket modification from 25 tooth for the compensating sprocket down to a 24 tooth compensating sprocket as well as changing the clutch shell basket & ring gear from a 36 tooth up to a 37 tooth.  What this did was change my gearing from 3.15 gearing down to 3.37 gearing....which I have found amazing....Ok....so how is that going to help you right?  Well...last summer I changed my handle bars out as well...and I was working with a oem clutch cable length and it was really a couple of inches too short so that meant I needed to lengthen my clutch cable....so wahhhhlahhh lol, I combined both of these efforts together in my project.  So I put together some specific instructions on how to do all of this and made it into a PDF file.  Ok so how is this going to help you, well....I am going to copy and paste the section that has to deal with the clutch adjustment for your review.....

Now before everyone get's too excited....believe it or not there are quite a few parts in the primary as well as underneath the clutch release cover that are the same for our FXR CVO bikes and a 2002 Road King Classic....while the actual clutch release cover is a different type for example between the two bikes the screws that attach are the exact same ones and so is the "ramp" that holds the 3 ball bearings in place....so....stick with me here and we can do this....

ONE THING FOR SURE....you mentioned that the ball bearings may have come out....MAKE SURE you photograph the clutch release cover on the inside and pay particular attention to the retaining ring position...photos keep us on the straight and narrow....

Now I will show you the photos and make some comments on the last page.....HOPEFULLY THIS IS HELPFUL, if it really isn't helpful I can always come back and delete these pages.....

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:13:04 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »

Another Page Of Directions:

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:13:25 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:13:46 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 12:33:47 PM »

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:14:10 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 12:34:08 PM »

Also here are some other instructions which I found helpful in addressing how one is to "adjust one"s clutch properly".
The Factory Service Manual on this issue can leave you sratching your head, so these instructions @ least for me helped to clarify the procedure a bit more:

If possible, try the following adjustment procedure first. The procedure was recommended by Hippo from HTT in previous threads:

1. Loosen the clutch CABLE jam nut and using the adjuster, remove ALL slack (zero clearance between the clutch cable ferrule and the clutch lever bracket) in the cable.

2. Loosen the lock nut on the clutch pack PUSHROD adjuster screw.

The bottom line is that during #1 and #2 what you do is fully collapse the cable adjuster on the cable sleeve while attempting to pull the cable sleeve away from the perch at the lever.

3. Pull in the clutch lever, it should just touch or be close to touching the handle bars. If it does not touch the bars, back out the PUSHROD adjuster screw at the clutch pack while keeping a slight pressure on the clutch lever until it just touches the bars.

4. When the clutch lever just touches the handle bar, turn IN the PUSHROD adjuster screw while keeping a slight pressure on the clutch lever. When you turn IN the PUSHROD adjuster screw, it will start to pull the lever OFF the handle bars. Back the PUSHROD adjuster screw OUT until the lever returns to just touching the handle bars. Do this a couple of times until you know you are at the point where the lever is just touching the bar. When you find this point - back the PUSHROD adjuster screw out 1/2 to 1 turn and torque the lock nut to 6-10 ft-lbs (96 in-lbs).

5. Using the CABLE adjuster, adjust the clutch cable to 1/16-1/8 inch gap between the clutch cable ferrule and the clutch lever bracket and secure it with the jam nut.

Sometimes when new cables are used or if the mechanism is worn, it is possible to push the "hook" the end of the cable engages to over center in the housing. This sometimes may correct itself with above, and sometimes this can be checked/corrected thru the gearbox oil fill hole. It may also be possible, if the center position of the ball and ramp was lost that above procedure may have to be done more then once. Picture in your mind that you are playing the two adjustments against each other in order to perfectly center the ball and ramp mechanism so as to achieve the max disengagement travel while still having correct free play at one and the other.

If the clutch still does not function properly, verify the following: cable lubed, routed, connected and ball and ramp assembled properly.

I might also add, that after I had thought I successfully adjusted my clutch cable with the bike still on my bike stand, I turned the ignition key to on, (lights turned on and instrument panel lit up but NO "N" neutral light lit up.....I turned the key off....and sat there....pondering....back to the drawing board....it was then that I incorporated the above instructions from HIPPO which really seemed to clarify what was trying to be accomplished......another 45 minutes later....after everything was "readjusted" I turned the key back on and was greeted with the "N" neutral light being lit...."success"....

After the "neutral" light appeared on my dash, I then put fluids in for both the primary and the transmission.

Now here is something I would also suggest.....while keeping the bike on the lift with the rear tire free from the ground......I started the bike, and ran through all of the gears along with putting it in "neutral" to make sure while it was on the stand that I had no "drag" while the clutch was engaged through with each gear....essentially I put it into 1st gear while engaging the clutch lever, then releasing the clutch lever I would give the bike a bit of the throttle and watch the rear wheel move signifying it was indeed in gear, then I would engage the clutch, take my foot and stop the motion of the rear wheel and while the clutch was still engaged make sure that once I stopped the rear tire that it didn't start moving again.....then I would release the clutch again and resulting in the rear wheel moving once again and then would move to 2nd gear etc following the same procedure through 5th gear and then from 5th gear back down to 1st gear, then back to "neutral" to make sure it would engage to "neutral" smoothly....I did all of this in about 90 seconds of running the bike on the lift....then I felt comfortable it was ready for a "test" run.....locating "Neutral" has never been so so so smooth....everything works wonderfully....So I would suggest doing this while the bike is on a lift to make sure there is no "drag" occuring on your clutch, thus confirming that everything is working properly. Once this is confirmed then you are prepared to take it for your first "test" ride.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:20:21 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »

Here is a photo, showing the correct placement of that ramp for a ROAD KING CLASSIC set up, my point here is take a peek at yours, THIS IS ONLY APPLICABLE if I read your statement ABOVE that stipulates that your "ball bearings" fell out of place....

Which HAPPENED TO ME after getting everything together...

Doing this clutch adjustment can be a VERY intimidating thing INITIALLY...but at the end of the day it's possible to get it right....

My RKC has never shifted better, but it takes some patience and time.....and it truly sounds like you are out of adjustment that is for sure.....These clutches are suppose to be adjusted every 5,000 miles but few do it this often, I would say the vast majority close their eyes and hope for the best until the clutch begins to work improperly....if you take your time and read carefully what I copy and pasted for you it will go pretty smoothly.....

I have a PDF file that shows my complete instructions for changing out my gears.....I originally posted this over in the V~Twin forum under 88 Twin Cam 88" Engine Techincal Discussions, and the moderator there made it a "sticky"....my point is I have only copied and pasted what is applicable to you for the clutch cable adjustment.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:14:54 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »

I will leave this blank in case someone has a question that would be better fitted here instead of down below to keep this all neat....

If nothing comes up in a few days or a week I will delete so it's not here...

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:15:38 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 05:39:50 PM »

Blaine...

I sent you an e~mail.

Let me know if what I e~mailed to you will allow you to manipulate the data like you need to, if not I could always send the entire file I did for all of the instructions that is in a PDF file then you can print from the PDF file and keep the pages you are only interested in....so this is another option.....either way we will get the information so you can use it....

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:45:19 PM by FXR2evo99 »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 21 queries.