Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Fxr 2/3/4 Aftermarket A/C Breather Kits  (Read 33283 times)

elvislee

Fxr 2/3/4 Aftermarket A/C Breather Kits
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:15 AM »

Well folks, Its time for me to buy a new Air Breather Kit for my 2000 Fxr4 1999 Evo.

I don't need too, just want too. After mounting my stock A/C unit back on my bike yesterday and just sitting there looking at the black plastic backplate, I decided it's time. I began to ponder the purpose of a new kit and what I would actually get in terms of performance. I have been looking at Screamin Eagle and Arlen Ness Big Sucker kits (Like the below posted pic) and am purchasing a new ignition module after this. Any and all suggestions, opinions, or education of this topic is appreciated  :2vrolijk_21:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Fxr 2/3/4 Aftermarket A/C Breather Kits
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:22:15 AM »

Blaine, if you want to retain the stock cover, the Ness Big Sucker is the way to go!  It comes with a K&N filter, as opposed to the SE unit that now use some inferior brand of filter (used to be K&N).  Really, you do need to open her up with some aftermarket kit, otherwise, you're choking the motor off, no matter if you've done any other mods to the motor, or not.

Just be sure to have the carb re-jetted when you're done in order to maximize the performance gains and driveability of the bike, if it hasn't already been done.  I forget, what air cleaner did ya have on there before?

elvislee

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:46:36 AM »

Blaine, if you want to retain the stock cover, the Ness Big Sucker is the way to go!  It comes with a K&N filter, as opposed to the SE unit that now use some inferior brand of filter (used to be K&N).  Really, you do need to open her up with some aftermarket kit, otherwise, you're choking the motor off, no matter if you've done any other mods to the motor, or not.

Just be sure to have the carb re-jetted when you're done in order to maximize the performance gains and driveability of the bike, if it hasn't already been done.  I forget, what air cleaner did ya have on there before?

Yea Brian...I want to keep the stock cover and that was one question I had about these kits. I also was wondering about the filter makeup of SE vs AN. So you have answered two of my questions right off the bat.

As far as re-jetting the carb. I already have put on the aftermarket exhaust (Python III) and was gonna have re-jetted then, but someone (I forget who) told me if I thought was gonna eventually go to a aftermarket AC kit that I should maybe wait till I purchased it first. So now that I have the exhaust and gonna purchase the AC kit in the next day or so; all I need now is to get my ignition module.

What do ya think; should I wait for re-jetting (If it needs) till after installing the AC kit and ignition module  or what  :nixweiss:  :2vrolijk_21:

Oh...I've always had the stock AC unit with a K&N air filter...That's all
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:48:49 AM by elvislee »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »

It'd be best to wait and re-jet after all the mods are done.  The air cleaner is really going to have the largest single effect on the jetting that you need for the mods that you're considering.   You should notice quite a dramatic difference in the way that ol' Evo runs with what you're doing to it! :2vrolijk_21:

elvislee

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »

It'd be best to wait and re-jet after all the mods are done.  The air cleaner is really going to have the largest single effect on the jetting that you need for the mods that you're considering.   You should notice quite a dramatic difference in the way that ol' Evo runs with what you're doing to it! :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Brian...Next question

When you talk of rejetting...How many jets are in the carb, what size jets are in my stock carb and what size do I need to go too? Is the rejetting process such as removeing the top of the carb, vac piston and then replaceing the jets?  :nixweiss: Then does the carb need to be retuned smehow after completed?  :nixweiss: Thanks Man  :2vrolijk_21:

zn14

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »

I like the old style screamin eagle air filter kits where you can exit the head breathers to the ground with a hose.  I would think reburning the oil mist from the heads would cause a lot of carbon on the pistons.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »

Blaine, we're quickly getting outside my knowledge base, lol, so hopefully a guy like hd-dude or someone else with some experience will chime in, but below is a link to the installation instructions for the Dynojet Thunderslide Kit that is in my 3:

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/8108.pdf

That kit may very well work for your bike, too, but it would be best to check with whoever you're having do the work, or at least, someone like Jim who can recommend the best kit for the mods you have.

elvislee

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »

Blaine, we're quickly getting outside my knowledge base, lol, so hopefully a guy like hd-dude or someone else with some experience will chime in, but below is a link to the installation instructions for the Dynojet Thunderslide Kit that is in my 3:

That kit may very well work for your bike, too, but it would be best to check with whoever you're having do the work, or at least, someone like Jim who can recommend the best kit for the mods you have.

Good deal Brian...Thanks for your help and I want to check out what zn14 (Paul) Tha "Z" Man (Thanks Paul) had to say also....I wanna get it right  :2vrolijk_21:

zn14

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »

I have also done 2 thunderslide kits on 2 of my evos...........it took me forever to get them jetted right.......lots of calls to dynojet and lots of experimenting...............ran good when finally done but now I go the easy route with a sportster needle and a 45 slow jet....works almost as good with alot less work..........

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 11:21:52 AM »

When I had my Fatboy (EVO) and was doing a stage 3 kit on it my builder told me that was the best improvement you could make for a stock carb. He said the improvements provided by this kit was just as good if not better then some of the high dollar aftermarket carbs.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »

You get one of the best A/C assemblies available with the S&S Super E carb Blaine. The $ you're looking at spending can go into that Super E you've been thinking about. A good used Super E wouldn't cost too much more than a new one of these other A/C assemblies! And they're so simple to tune compared to what I've just read above from youze guys! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:29:55 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »

You get one of the best A/C assemblies available with the S&S Super E carb Blaine. The $ you're looking at spending can go into that Super E you've been thinking about. A good used Super E wouldn't cost too much more than a new one of these other A/C assemblies! And they're so simple to tune compared to what I've just read above from youze guys! ;)

Hoist! 8)

He said earlier that he wants to keep the stock A/C cover. :nixweiss:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 01:15:51 PM »

He said earlier that he wants to keep the stock A/C cover. :nixweiss:

HeHe!!! WHY?!!! When ya can have a beautiful timeless S&S Teardrop instead!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 06:54:18 AM »

IMO ditto everytrhing Brian Said.  I've had the Ness Big Sucker on mine for about three years now.

As far as oil being sucked into the carb and the motor, I also installed "The Cure Vent Plus" (J&P part number 400-761) in mine at the same time as all the other mods [edit:  I checked my service log and I actually installed the Vent Plus kit before the rest of the motor work.  Dry air cleaner ever since.]  The oil stays in the motor rather than being pushed out the heads (and then either in the carb or on the ground via a drain hose).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:15:26 AM by RedFXR2 »

elvislee

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:08:56 PM »

IMO ditto everytrhing Brian Said.  I've had the Ness Big Sucker on mine for about three years now.

As far as oil being sucked into the carb and the motor, I also installed "The Cure Vent Plus" (J&P part number 400-761) in mine at the same time as all the other mods [edit:  I checked my service log and I actually installed the Vent Plus kit before the rest of the motor work.  Dry air cleaner ever since.]  The oil stays in the motor rather than being pushed out the heads (and then either in the carb or on the ground via a drain hose).

Thanks Mike for the info on the "Cure Vent Plus" may be ordering my Big Sucker; I will most likely oder mine tommorrow sometimes cause I'm still doing a bit of research and talking to folks  :2vrolijk_21:

I did order my Screamin Eagle "single fire" Ignition Module today PN:32630-96...So little by little I'm getting there on the Stage I additions. Soon as I make my final decision on the Big Sucker or SE AC kit; I'll order my dynojet Thunderslider Carb Kit and the I think I should be done for Stage I. Don't know if I'll go to Stage II additions or not; I'll wait till the Stage I is done and go from there. Thanks to all you folks for your input  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:10:31 PM by elvislee »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.