Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire Search For FXR4  (Read 2195 times)

elvislee

Tire Search For FXR4
« on: November 28, 2006, 03:59:50 PM »

Getting ready to look around for new front and rear tires for the Yellow 4; any thoughts or suggestions on brands? The independent here where I live wants to sell me a set of Metzler ME880's for around $130.00 each? :-? [smiley=confused5.gif]...Thoughts and opinions appreaciated...Thanks and stay cool folks.

Just found other tire discussions on another part of this board; a lot of info and opinions there...Now; how about some insight from the FXR2,3, and 4 folks...Thanks
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 04:32:34 PM by elvislee »

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
Re: Tire Search For FXR4
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »

I replaced both of mine with the HD OEM tires it came with, so I wouldn't add much value to your question. I presume you are familiar with both the tires and the cost, so...

Wish I could help.

~KJ
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »

The Metzlers are good tires. I like the Metzler Laser for the front though, with the ME880 or the Continental in the rear. The Conti has a tread pattern that wraps around the sidewall. If you use the Laser in front and Conti in the rear, the bike will handle real nice. The Conti won't wear as well as the Metzler though. Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:03:52 PM »

I've only had HD/Dunlop on my FXR2 and have always been satisfied.  But I've heard many people claim that Metzeler is better for numerous reasons.  Don't know the price difference and for a while I heard that the Dunlop factory was on strike and HD couldn't get tires--is that true?  Might have an impact on your decision.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 04:19:50 AM »

Hey thanks folks...appreaciate all the feedback...Don't know yet which way I will go; gonna go check out some avons next but most I have read indicates ME880's are good for my style of riding...I'll let ya know...Later

When your checking out the tires, make sure you check the Metzler Lazer for the front. You're gonna love that tire on a 39mm narrow glide. Also, you can go 1 size wider. You can pretty much use whatever you like on the rear with this front tire. Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:49:05 PM »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................... I'm new to this mechanical stuff and trying to figure out how the hell I rode the bike with the rear wheel turning if the bearing was froze to the axle?

When the rear wheel is turning...Is the bearing supposed to turn on the axle and if so, that means the axle itself dosent actually turn; but, the wheel and bearing turn on the axle?...So, if the bearing was froze to the axle; then, while I was driving it the wheel must have been turning on the bearing which was froze to the axle?????...HAVE I CONFUSED YOU ALL YET?...I AM...Anyway; the new tire is on with two new bearings waiting for the axle to come in...SOMEONE please tell me what the hell I just went through today...Later
elvislee,

The bearing is basically made up of three parts, the inner race, the rollers or balls, and the outer race.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 09:08:15 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fxrlarry

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 12:35:15 AM »

Instead of coating the axle with grease it has been suggested to coat the axle with anti seize compound in case the bearing does lock up the axle with turn in the bearing race before locking up solid.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »

fxrlarry...Welcome aboard...Thanks for the reply man...I love this board...Get all kinds of good info and I got a whole bunch more questions as we go down this road...Stay Cool...BTW folks; I'm bout done with what I'm doing with my yellow 4 and a GOOD chance will be done today...Hopefully some pics tonight...later

elvislee.... BUMMER man! What a great (missed) opportunity to install the CHROME rear axle from Drag Specialties! I am just waiting for the next time I have to have the rear wheel off!!!

Of course I found it AFTER I had my wheel replaced too. Stupid me, I trusted the stealership parts guy when he told me they didn't make a chrome one - just like he said they don't make a chrome inner primary housing either, but the experts in here have disproven that Too!!!

~kj

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »

Killer elvislee! good on ya! can't wait to see the pics!

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.