Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR4 Peeling Chrome?  (Read 1529 times)

elvislee

FXR4 Peeling Chrome?
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:01:17 PM »

When I bought my bike about a month ago it had a few spots where the chrome had started peeling. The fella I bought the bike from didn't keep it in a garage or shed; he kept it outside on the back porch covered with a tarp. There is one spot on the handlebars peeling, the front rocker cover is peeling on one corner, and one of the rear shocks is peeling badly at the top and bottom of the shocks. Some have told me the bike being outside under the tarp could have caused the chrome to peel because of moisture and condensation forming under the tarp in the hot South Alabama sun and then in the cooler weather in the winter. The handlebars are no big deal because I have replaced them with buckhorns and I can replace the rocker cover and shock. I keep it stored now in my shed but just wondering if the outside storage may have been the culprit or if there are other things I'm unaware of that may have caused this and have any of you 2,3, or 4 owners experianced this problem? Just curious...Thanks Folks

RedFXR2

Re: FXR4 Peeling Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 02:46:40 PM »

I've never had any problems with the chrome on my FXR2, but it has always lived in a garage under a breathable cover.  It wouldn't surprise me to see peeling chrome or worse on a bike kept outdoors for extended periods.

Keep it indoors of possible, and since you live at least near the water, as I do, rinse it off with fresh water frequently to remove any airborne salt spray.  Then dry it off and keep it waxed and you should be OK.

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
Re: FXR4 Peeling Chrome?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 09:48:25 AM »

Hey thanks red2...I figure the outside storage by the previous owner had much if not all to do with this but thought I would seek opinions from others as I wasn't sure...You can rest assured it will stay inside and be well cleaned and polished from here on out...Thanks for the reply...Blaine

Unfortunately, depending where in Alabama, it could've been exposed to salty air there too... which will peel chrome faster than a chimp can peel a banana. If salt is involved, check the wiring. Most of the FXR4 wiring is enclosed in plastic shielding - which is good, but connections under the tank and under the side plates mostly are not.

Agree completely with Red, if a cover is not breathable, in a humid environment it is more harmful than good - for reason's you mentioned.

I had to leave mine exposed for a short while when I lived in Malibu, and the salt got a few pieces peeling. Mostly the hard to reach or often overlooked parts like the bottom of the foot brake, or the very top/rear portion of the front rocker cover. I also had some minor peeling on the HB riser cover, and the braided front brake lines bit it hard. All easy enough to replace, but what sucks more than buying new chrome to end up with where you started, right?

Good wax, applied often is all you'll ever need.

~kj
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.