Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: re how many quarts  (Read 11775 times)

victtor

re how many quarts
« on: July 08, 2011, 06:01:34 AM »

HI  i have 07 110 fxdse have changed oil 3 times and i can only get 2.8 quarts back into bike that is with filter how come it not take 3.5 quarts as manual says, the thing is other people on this fourm have had same problem some only getting 2.5 quarts back into bike,
Just for record changed from syn3 to mobil 1 v twin no difference in lifter noise
regards
victtor new zealand

victtor

re how many quarts this is strange?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »

HI  i have 07 110 fxdse have changed oil 3 times and i can only get 2.8 quarts back into bike that is with filter how come it not take 3.5 quarts as manual says, the thing is other people on this fourm have had same problem some only getting 2.5 quarts back into bike,
Just for record changed from syn3 to mobil 1 v twin no difference in lifter noise
regards
victtor new zealand

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: re how many quarts this is strange?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »

regards
victtor new zealand

With your verbiage reading "quarts", it seems obvious that you are using quart oil containers, but is it possible you have "liter" oil containers instead?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

blown302

oil capacity
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »

3.5 qts. is for a completely dry engine. Just fill using dipstick which is about 2.5 qts. for a oil change.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:17:32 PM by blown302 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: re how many quarts
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »

Follow the directions for an oil change completely, and you should not have a full quart of oil remaining in the engine.

-Ride the bike until the oil is up to normal operating temperature, approximately 10 miles.
-Allow the bike to idle on the jiffy stand for two minutes, to allow the oil pump to scavenge as much of the oil in the engine as possible and send it on to the oil tank/pan.  Don't rev the engine as that just  pumps more oil into the engine.
-Drain the oil and remove the filter.  Sit the bike upright after most of the oil has drained to make sure there isn't any hiding in a corner of the oil pan.

When it's done properly, unless you have an oil pump problem that's leaving excessive oil in the crankcase, you should be able to drain all but about 6 to 8 ounces.

BTW, are we absolutely certain that the Dyna calls for 3.5 quarts?  I remember my older TC88 Dyna only calling for 3.0 quarts.   :nixweiss:  It would be a real shame if Harley had a misprint that caused a whole bunch of folks to worry for no reason.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

victtor

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 12:41:45 AM »

HI im postive it quarts im using not litres, the reason im postive these bikes hold less then the 3.5 quarts as stated is a few other people have said on cvo fourm there 110s only take around 2.5-2.8 quarts per oil change
So if oil pump was not working correctly would it do this as said above in post? has anyone eles struck having oil pump promblems and holding extra quart in motor during change thanks
victtor  new zealand

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »

HI im postive it quarts im using not litres, the reason im postive these bikes hold less then the 3.5 quarts as stated is a few other people have said on cvo fourm there 110s only take around 2.5-2.8 quarts per oil change
So if oil pump was not working correctly would it do this as said above in post? has anyone eles struck having oil pump promblems and holding extra quart in motor during change thanks
victtor  new zealand

All the specifications for the Dyna that I've been able to find still list oil capacity as 3.0 quarts.  I think you and all those other folks are worrying about a non-issue.  You will never be able to get all 3.0 quarts to drain without disassembling the engine, so if you can drain all but .2 quarts you're doing fine.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fxdsegrl

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE - Sold :(
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »

I just checked my owners manual for my 2007 FXDSE and it calls for 3.5 quarts to capacity (3.3 liters). We have never been able to get this much oil in at a change, In fact the first time we overflowed onto the floor at 3 quarts.

We use 2.75 quarts typically and that gets it right at full on the stick hot.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »

I just checked my owners manual for my 2007 FXDSE and it calls for 3.5 quarts to capacity (3.3 liters). We have never been able to get this much oil in at a change, In fact the first time we overflowed onto the floor at 3 quarts.

We use 2.75 quarts typically and that gets it right at full on the stick hot.

Your experience along with all the others is what leads me to believe that the manuals are incorrect.  I'm not aware of any change in the CVO Dyna engines that would account for an additional pint of oil capacity compared to all the other Dyna Twin Cam engines.  There is no oil cooler, correct?

There is a way to figure this out.  Next time you do an oil change, follow the routine I posted earlier, then remove the plug from the actual crankcase (not the oil pan drain plug, but the plug that is normally not removed from the engine case).  Any oil still remaining in the bottom end should drain out, and you can measure that if you capture it separately.  Add that amount to the amount it usually takes to fill the engine and filter to the full mark, and that is pretty much the real total capacity of the engine.  And if you contact Harley and they insist their manual is correct, then you might ask them if they've bothered to make sure the dipsticks are correct, since that is the only other reason I could think of for such a wide disparity between reality and what the manual says.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:29:54 AM by grc »

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 24 queries.